How can I stop biting my nails?

I have been biting my nails for at least 11 years and I need to quit. I bite them until they start to bleed and half of my nail bed is showing. My nails are extremely weak and snap really easily.

What are some ways to stop?
Im sick of ugly nails

And I like wearing nail polish but I just pick it off, so I can bite my nails

Most Helpful Guy

• Dip your nails into something you really can't stand, really hot hot sauce or something.

• But won't that burn the cuts and the nail bed?
      I have like no nail left, half my nail is gone

• Bet a sharpie just taste nasty :))

And you will beat it dudette, i believe in you :)

• Thanks so much for MHO, Dudette :D <3

Most Helpful Girl

• taking non toxic markers and drawing on yourself
    doodling in notebooks
    tapping your fingers
    twirling your hair

What Guys Said 14

• I do the same thing. I've actually gotten to the point where I'm biting the edges of my nails... Like. The skin there. Yeah. But, I put some clear nail polish on my nails (they also have nail strengthening clear polish, which is what I use and seems to work to make them harder). It tastes bad. You might find yourself going to bite your nails out of habit, but then realize "oh shit, I can't". Of course, you have to constantly have it on them. And you also have to make it a conscious decision to pull yourself back when you try to bite them.

Make sure you're eating healthily and getting daily exercise. If your nails are extremely weak, there might be a reason for that. Lack of proper nutrition. You can lose hair, teeth, nails, and damage your brain if you don't eat enough. A daily multivitamin might help, as well.

You might just try to make it a conscious decision to not bite your nails and wack yourself when you start going to bite them. Or maybe get some of those thick fake nails. I imagine it wouldn't be as desirable to bite the ones that won't bend or break.

I've also tried trimming my nails with a nail clipper, so there's not much there to bite. Works alright, but if you do end up biting, they might be more apt to bleed.

There's also liquid bandage that you can buy at the store which works really well if you bite them too far down and they start bleeding. Some of them sting like a bitch, but it helps in the long run. Liquid bandage is pretty awesome.

• Ok I'll look into the liquid bandage, it sounds good.
      That probably is the the reason my nails are weak, I do not get proper nutrition & my hair was falling out but I thought it was because of hair bleach. I guess I need more food ^_^

Thanks dude

• Np. There's also something called Breakfast Essentials. You can get it at walmart. With a glass of milk, it gives you all the nutrients you need in the day, along with a few calories. Tastes really good, too. Like hot chocolate or vanilla bean. If you find eating difficult at any point. Gotta treat your body right.

• Same, same. I've been biting my nails since at least first grade (I'm a college freshman now).

I stopped for a month (this past August) because I damaged my front teeth and I couldn't do it, but when those were healed and fixed I just went right back to it. I seem to do it when I'm thinking about other things. Happens when in the shower, or watching a movie, or reading something.

The past two weeks I have tried focusing really hard not to bite them, and it worked for my middle and ring fingers. I just focused on reminding myself not to bite them. Eventually when they started growing longer it was easier to remember.

It'll take a while, but just focus and try to notice when you want to bite, and then tell yourself NO.

If you're not embarrassed, then ask your friends and family to point it out to.

• My mum always yells at me. I just do it when she's not looking.

I'm goona keep trying to focus and thanks dude

• Okay I don't bite them that bad xD but I still bite them to this day. Honestly the best you can do is find another habit to replace it with

• Plaster them up for a while, then it's impossible to bite them. When your nails grow back, be sure to keep them trim - this minimises the urge to chew them yourself.

• They have this really bitter apple stuff that you use to stop dogs from chewing your stuff. Try dipping your nails in that every morning.

• I think the only way to stop is to stop, which means you must either make the decision too, and if you can't you require to try, otherwise you need an outside influence to affect you.

It's about self-control and restraint.

• I do the exact same thing. i draw blood all the time. It isn't bored or stress or anything like. It is a completely subconscious act. i dont even notice it most of the times. I hate it.

• Yep I used to do bite them
    Whenever you bite them just remind yourself that it's not good or make your hand busy doing something like I used to eat chips and dry fruits

• Repetitive behaviour causes these bad habits. You can will yourself to stop by simply saying to yourself I'm going to ignore my nails from now on. it's that simple. Your more in charge than you think.

• Bad habit, I used to bite my nails.
    I recommend putting something bitter tasting on your nails , see if that works.
    I recommend bitter as opposed to hot sauce.

• You can't its an impossible habit I do the same things just except as a part of life.

• Where the gloves that doctors use when they, do "the thing". #upvote if Ü hate cold doctor hands on your...

• I've heard of this stuff that you put on your nails and it tastes like shit and helps people stop.

• Dip your fingers in hot sauce and let them dry :) that'll remind you later

What Girls Said 11

• 1. Recognize that you bite your nails for a reason. Are you stressed or anxious when it happens? Scared? Bored? For a week/month, write down the times you bit your nails and what you think triggered it.
    2. Focus on altering your behavior. If you get anxious every time you have to do a major report at school, change behaviors around the anxiety. Meet with friends, put on some enjoyable music, maybe give yourself more time to do the work so that the anxiety will lesson.
    3. Replace the nail biting with something else. Every time you start nail biting, stop, maybe flick yourself in forehead or clap your hands and say no biting (sound ridiculous, but you are actually conditioning yourself not to keep doing it)
    4. Start taking care of your nails. Like reallllly taking care of them. Start spending a some actual money to get manicures. Have your hands massaged. Each day, dedicate 15 minutes to nail care. You have to mentally sort of train your brain that your nails are just as important as say brushing your teeth or washing your face. They deserve positive attention too.
    5. Realize that behavioral changes take time and lots of concentrated effort on your part to stop. If you just shrug and say, well I guess I'm stuck like this, you will never change. It takes a minimum usually of 3-6 weeks to change a bad habit. If you can't figure out ways to do it yourself, seek counseling to help tackles some underlying issues that you may not even be aware of that lead to your nail biting.

• I go to the concilor, I never thought to ask her about my nail biting. I'll ask her next time I see her.
      I don't really bite them when I'm stressed, it's just random all day

• I'm glad that you will ask your counselor about it, but I would also really consider keeping an active journal to keep track of the times you do nail bite. You may find a pattern even you are not even aware is happening. It's like people who say they have no clue how they gained a bunch of weight because they are eating really well and exercising, only to look at their journal and realize they are snacking at all hours and not actually doing as much exercise as they thought. Sometimes we cannot see what's right in front of us. Good luck to you!

• Ok thanks for all the help ^_^

• Have you tried painting them? I have a bad habit of biting my nails, though not as extreme, and that works for me.

• Ya I tried that and I just pick off the nail polish

• I believe there's some polish designed for nail biters which tastes disgusting. You can try jalapeño oil or something too I think. Or try fake nails.

• I'll try to find some nasty tasting nail polish, fake ones will not work for me

• Wear gloves?

• you should pinch yourself everytime you have a wish to do it. It works, your brain after some time will realize it as "damaging wish" and you'll stop. :)

• try wearing false nails on top, so your nails can grow underneath. don't use the ones where you have to put the glue on, use the ones with adhesive already on the nail. it can weaken your nails, but they'll be able to grow. wear nail polishes specifically for the strengthening of your nails.

• Girly I'm just like you, I sometimes bite my nails but mostly when I'm hungry or nervous. I really don't know any ways you could stop biting your nails. I usually put pretty nail polish on my nails to remind myself that I want my nails long to look pretty with this nail polish. It works sometimes but not all the time though. You just have to have will power.

• put something spicy on them XD

• I don't know, i bite my nails a lot but not to the extreme... my parents use to put vinegar on my nails

• nail polish, aand if u don't like that just a clear coat, also if u rub ur hands with hand sanatiser it will taaste gross so u won't want to bite, and also give ur hands somthing else to do... such as some silly puddy, etc u can wear gloves too if ur desprate

• Get fake nails or put tape around your nails lmao

• I dont really know cuz i bite myne um slap ur self every time u try jk get that bitter nail polish stuff and put it on ur nails