Do you agree with this statement?

People never get what they truly desire.

Agree or disagree?

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Results

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah kind of. Only because there is no end to ones desire

Most Helpful Guy

• People never get what they truly desire then and there. The funny thing about life is what you want at this present moment most people don't really get it, but fast forward a couple years and when they are capable of having it they don't want it anymore.

What Girls Said 6

• Completely disagree. That quote was thought up by a lazy person.

• So, the "hedonic set point" is a real thing.

Long story made short:
    Excluding stuff like manic and depressive episodes, most people's level of satisfaction in life is pretty much constant.

People who want more... will always want more. Greed, ambition, longing, emptiness, call it what you will.

People who are satisfied with their lot in life, by and large, stay that way, no matter the tragedies that befall them.

In that light, this saying makes sense. The "always wanting" type is just going to move on to wanting other things. Just think of any shopaholic you know, and you'll see the wisdom here.

Same idea behind Nike's whole "There is no finish line" campaign.

• Yes I agree... like I've always had the perfect guy in my head... an amazingly handsome man, who is nice and doesn't cheat, but this man always comes split up lol... like there's lots of good looking guys, but they're usually cocky, or cheat a lot... Also with jobs... I'll think i want a job, but once i start, I'm like nahhh, lol therefore I'm never truly happy

• Disagree. I get what I desire all the time. :) Sometimes my desires even multiply beyond my initial vision. I see others who experience the same.

• I get what I want most of the times

• If you work your ass off you can get what you want. But you can never get everything you want.

What Guys Said 6

• Never say never. Er.. Except in that instance <---. I can tell you one thing. When I've been high on coke, I know for a fact that when I got some more cocaine, that was the indelibly the *exact* thing I desired. And I got it.

If you mean ultimately, then you really should have qualified that somehow or added extra detail on what you mean by desire.

But, I will also go with the Soren Kierkegaard thing. "I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both."

• D) I partially agree, depends on the person, some people do get what they deserve, but some people don't get anything...

• Who said that? That's nonsense. Most people get exactly what they want
    Then they realize they didn't really want it anyway.

• if you're weak you never get what you desire

• Yes and no and everything in between lol.

• It should be "Some people never get what they desire".