Girls, would you ever accept a guy as a roommate?

If you were renting a house or an apartment that had more than one bedroom, would you consider accepting a guy as a roommate? Does having a guy there make you feel safer? Are you concerned about privacy, not being able to walk around in your underwear, etc? Are you concerned about the guy becoming sexually attracted to you?

15

Most Helpful Girl

• I have three male roommates. It's not ideal but it's better than the crazy girl they stuck me in a dorm room with freshman year 😂😂😂

What Girls Said 14

• I wouldn't have a issue with living with a guy. Wouldn't alter my feeling of safety - that's not what guys are for lol

I would treat him like I treat female roommates. I don't walk around in my underwear around people.

As long as he pays his share on time and warns me when he's bringing lady friends over that's all that matters.

• I had a roommate who was guy who stay with me for almost 5 years. In all honesty, it was the best time ever. It's so much more different and because we always bought interesting friends over, it was nice to have a mix of people around. Did it make me feel safer, not really because I've always been safe. It really depends on the level of comfort. I mean sure, i never got to walk around in my underwear but I never did to begin with.

As for the attraction part, again it really depends. I didn't consider him in that nature but it happens.

• My ex-wife did not believe that a man and a woman could be just friends without developing a sexual relationship. I told her she was full of it (but that's not why we divorced. :)) I'm glad you posted an opinion.

• Your ex wife is wrong. Opposite sex can be friends no questions asked.
      You're welcome.

• Yes.

I hope I'm not single either.

Men are sooo damnnn tempting, we'd have some type of relationship with each other haha.

I'm pretty sure he would be attracted to me, I dress in very form fitting clothing and is enough to make heads turn.

• I am 60 years old. I am not a perv (I have a 63 year old girlfriend) but I am not dead, either. You know how to get a guy's attention, don't you?

• Yes. I am a teaser to get the attention especially from the guy that I like. A great smile, and form fitting clothing is enough to wheel the bait in.
      After great conversation the rest is history.

• I am more concern I'll get feelings but sounds fine! As long as I don't think see him around or talk to him!

• yeah i would/ have.

i dont walk around in my underwear even when a lone. i have always had this preference to be ready to to run out in case of an emergency.

trust can be found in any sex. and any sex can be dangerous. i won't room with a stranger of any sex.

• im not concerned about sexual attraction. im concerned about physically or verbally crossing boundaries which is a very different thing and can be done with or without attraction. people use attraction as ann excuse for all sorts of terrible behavior. in my opinion, those people would behave terribly regardless if attraction.

• Yes. I've been living with 7 guys for the past 4 years in a student dorm. It's a predominantly male university. As long as we have about the same mentality, so there aren't too many clashes in our standards for cleanliness, schedule, courtesy, etc.

• Yeah, I would. I wouldn't mind living with my best friends (who are guys). I would treat him the same as I'd treat a female roommate. I'd hope he'd do the same.

• Yes I did take a guy friend in as a renter in my house. It started out ok then went down hill fast. It was a nasty ending.

• of course I would, I wouldn't care

• I would only room with someone I know and like unless I completely run out of options.
    So yeah I would room with a guy, if I knew him well and liked him

• One bedroom? I don't think that would work unless he was my man.

• "If you were renting a house or an apartment that had MORE THAN one bedroom." Would you care to revise your response?

• That would be consistent with her response to other things. I have no interest in trying to resolve anything with her but I do want to make sure that I am not off track in a way that interferes with my present or possible future relationships.

• That goes back to trust also. You were married. She obviously didn't have the trust for you that you had for her.

• a stranger guy alone with me? no thanks

• In my second year of university I lived with my 5 guy friends. I didn't choose to live with them to feel safe or something they were my friends and I thought it was fun, and it was. When telling my dad who I was going to live with I told him that our house would be less likely to break into cause guys lived there.

I was lucky and had my own bathroom but they were all fairly neat people. Two of the guys had a downstairs apartment sort of and it had its' own kitchen so I really only shared public space with 3 of them. I wouldn't walk around the house that I shared with other housemates in my underwear anyways so that wasn't a big deal and never even crossed my mind. I did see one of them naked accidentally once and it was a little awkward but made for a funny story. I saw only his side profile and he covered himself.
    Third year of university I lived in a house with 2 other girls and 4 guys. This year I live in a house also with 2 other girls and 4 guys. In my second year and this year one of the guys in each house and I were attracted to each other but nothing ever happened. Fell out of friendship and touch with one (I dodged a bullet there) and the other guy went back to his home uni as he was only here on exchange.

Having male housemates is nice mostly for opening jars and things sealed tightly as I have small hands. But usually some of my female friends could also open them. I'm just small. Privacy was never an issue third or this year but in second year the guys would just walk into my room if I wasn't around and a couple of times just walked right in. All it took was telling them once I was female and they couldn't just do that with me.

Living with guys has always worked out really well for me actually.

• Along as he's not an old man, is paying his rent, and is giving me my own personal space. I'm cool.

• I suspect that what you call an "old man" and what I call an "old man" are two different things. :)

• 35+ is an old man to me, considering I'm under 18 though.

• Right. To me, 35 is still a young guy. I wouldn't mind having a young girl as a roommate; I don't have any children and I think I could pass along some wisdom. . . and I also enjoy the company of younger people. In fact, I am having dinner with about 8-10 folks who are 18-22 years old tonight.