Do you think Barbie is a negative role model for young girls?

Most Helpful Girl

• Boy Oh Boy, I <3 Barbie. But being real, barbie nowadays is a little cuckoo sometimes considering the target age group and that the right message is not always being sent...
    static1.therichestimages.com/.../1barbie.jpg
    static3.therichestimages.com/.../...ant_midge1.jpg
    static0.therichestimages.com/.../...2uS1qba8a3.jpg
    blogs.stlawu.edu/.../bb11.jpg</a>

• I have read other people's comments now and I have to say, I don't think people realize the subliminal affect toys have on children's minds. Though children may not compare themselves to the Barbie itself, they would compare themselves to people who have Barbie's traits, thinking they are 'prettier'. The effect may be marginally less nowadays compared to a few decades ago when society put so much pressure on women to look perfect and be a certain type of way. Now children are being exposed to the mantra of loving themselves as they are and not thinking they are ugly for being different... but Barbie can still send a wrong message sometimes. I won't give my child toy guns to play with because of the message it would send, just as I might take a raincheck on Barbie and go for cabbage patch dolls

• Thanks for MHG :)

Most Helpful Guy

• No. It's just a doll. If the parents can't teach the kids to differentiate dolls from real life women, then the parents are the negative role models.

What Girls Said 16

• Most of the time yes because you can see her private areas! Althought they look nothing like real boobs!

• Hmm. Personally I used to play A LOT with barbies but I never compared myself to a "barbie". It was just a toy and that's it. I didn't care about the fact that barbie had long slim legs and a nice waist. o. o

But of course it MAY make some children believe that having blonde straight hair, blue eyes and being skinny is ideal.

It truly depends on the child.

• I think barbie is a toy designed for entertainment. i fucking loved them as a kid and i dont want to look like them.
    the girls will only take it in a negative way if the parents allow her to.

• Honestly, when I was a little kid and played with my barbie dolls, her figure was the last thing I thought about. I actually had no idea there was such a huge debate over them until I reached high school.

• I actually did a research paper on this topic! I think Barbie can be a positive influence in terms of career goals. I think she's a bad role model in terms of body image, material possessions/priorities, and her "relationship" with Ken. Barbie fails to represent the wide variety that a female body can come in, or a realistic body-type for that matter. If you look on the actual website or Barbie computer games, you'll see that she's usually focused on makeup and obtaining material possessions such as houses, nice cars, and a giant close of clothes rather than advancing in the world of academia. Also they have this weird thing where Mattel updates everyone on Barbie's relationship with Ken. They have "broken up" and "gotten back together" several times which I'm sure can't be a good model for a successful relationship for young girls.

• No, not really. I played with barbies when I was younger and they were not the reasons I had/have insecurities about my body.

• not.. really. i played with barbies a lot as a kid, i don't think it really hurt me in any way. on another note, their heads pop off way too easily :o

• I don't think so, it's just a doll...

• not really I never gave much thought about being skinny growing up. I only remember having fun changing her clothes and playing.

• No, those are toys, people need to get over this

• Unlike my friends I never owned one, it was bloody expensive for us and I think it's just a doll so no harm done.

• people consider barbie a role model? really?

when I was a kid, I just used barbie as a hunk of plastic to throw at my siblings

• well i loved playing barbie and i always admired their beauty and wanted to look like them, but that was just a second thought while playing it never really affected me

• No way. Barbie is awesome

• yes it is.

• when i was a little i use to play with Barbies but i never compare them to me, but the first time i saw those barbie movies i started to think only skinny girls with blonde hair and blue eyes are the most beautiful. i had brown hair and dark eyes and thought i was ugly. i remember asking my mother if i could dye my hair blonde and if it was possible to have blue eyes lol.

What Guys Said 7

• i think so in terms of her physical appearance. it's an appearance that is nearly unachievable without lots of surgery or an unhealthy lifestyle... but i also know tons of kids who played with barbies who have no issues, so really a parent or family can help teach the child what's what

• Yeah, She doesn't really have a consistent job except housewife or shopper and especially since all the job barbies there are suggest she moves from one job to the next in the blink of an eye.
    Hell there is nothing wrong with being a housewife, you can have a career and be a wife. These days thats the best option,
    Some people have a career then become housewifes like my mother,
    Then after their kids have grown and are older they finish education, like my mother.
    She was an air force airmen,
    Fell in love with my dad who was an officer, then left the air force to be with him,
    Now she is going back to school to be a teacher

• No, she's a fantasy. Toys don't have to be 100% realistic.

• Um yes... if said girls want to date me at least. I like my girls girly but that's just bad girly.

• No more than He-Man is for little dudes.

• no, PC bollocks.

• Yeah the new barbie should be Tomb Raider or the bitch from Star Wars