Will it be harder to sleep if you are overweight and eat a lot of high sugar foods before bed time?

For dinner tonight I had 2 cups of peanuts, 2 chocolates, 2 cups of breaded meat, 1 cup of gingerale.

I am worried I will have difficulty sleeping tonight. I already have mild chest pain when I am sleep deprived badly enough.

Most Helpful Guy

• It will matter as to what time you eat this v/s how long it was before bed time. The sugars will give a short lived rush of energy and stimulation that will make relaxing to sleep a bit more difficult. But the plus side is when this energy rush wears off your energy level will usually drop rather quickly ( called the crash ) and sleep shouldn't be hard to attain after that

What Guys Said 2

• You being overweight doesn't have an influence on falling asleep except maybe that your heart may suffer. However, eating high sugar foods right before going to bed is a very bad idea. Sugar has a similar affect like caffeine. It gives your body energy and thus keeps you awake. It will be very hard to fall asleep after eating lots of sugary stuff. But even more importantly, eating sugary stuff before bed makes you gain even more weight! As I mentioned, your body uses sugar as energy to do stuff such as physical activities. If however, you simply go to sleep, the sugar in your blood will be transformed into fat. Your body is basically thinking "well, if I don't need the energy now, I might need it some time later". Back in the days when we were living in caves and you might have had to run around a lot the next day, this was a very good and potentially life-saving mechanism but in today's world, you simply become more overweight if you do this.
    Also, your diet sounds extremely unhealthy. You basically just ate meat and chocolate (peanuts contain tons of fat by the way). Where are all the veggies or fruits? How about a salad? What about some carbs instead of chocolate?
    I can only advise you to change this drastically. If you are already overweight now and you continue eating like this, you might suffer from severe problems such as high blood sugar, diabetes and sleep apnea when you become older. None of these diseases are fun.

• Sleep on your stomach it will ease the pain.

What Girls Said 2

• Hopefully those peanuts were in the shell because that's a lot of god damn peanuts lol I usually try to not eat anything after 7:00pm just because it's not really healthy to eat right before you go to bed. Definitely eating high sugar foods before bed is not a good idea. I found this article of what foods to not eat before bed and it gives a pretty good explanation of why: www.bodybuilding.com/.../...at-before-bedtime.html

Hope this helps! :D

• Well yes because you can have a sugar rush and you're usually not supposed to eat a few hours before bed because its harder for your stomach to digest foods later in the night and especially if theyre high calories.