Has anyone worked out a way to turn off thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• Meditation. Specifically mindfulness

What Girls Said 3

• In the lyrics of Twenty One Pilots, "To be awake is for us to think and for us to think is to be alive." To not think is death, even if it feels like your thoughts are trying to kill you.

• I just listen to music to turn off my thoughts. :D

• Yes it's called a coma.

What Guys Said 4

• Your question reminds me of the comments that well-intentioned people make after you go through a break up: "You just need to forget about her." You cannot turn off your thoughts and you can't erase memories in any practical way. Alcohol and/or drugs may give you temporary distractions/time out but, of course, there is a high price to pay for their use. Shock therapy erases some memories but not in any predictable or controlled fashion and the long term consequences of etc are enormous.

The best you can do with obtrusive thoughts is to give yourself distractions until the thoughts begin to lose some of their power or potency.

• meditation didn't help. distractions were my best bet.

• when i need to do that i drink till i pass out.

• smoke a lot of weed and play video games