Who decided God was a man?

I had read this ages ago and I can never seem to forget it: I met God, she's black.

Why do we assume God is male? Why do we assume God is white?
How do you picture God, if you believe or even if you don't?

I'm personally an atheist but I'm very interested in others religion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I wondered this as well. But looking back at it, Christianity and Islam are the actual minority when it comes to how God is perceived. The religions are a male influenced, male dominate religion.

Before those religions came into play, there were always multiple Gods and Goddesses, also genderless. I'm also agnostic with a fascination for our current religions. I believe we did see something, just exaggerate a little bit. But I personally believe God is pure entity. No face, no voice, no gender. Just existing, conscious, compassionate, loving, intelligent, and creative.

Most Helpful Girl

• God isn't a gender or a race, but is referred to as Him... probably because Jesus was a man. Who knows.

I don't think anyone assumes God is white though. I suspect because of the Jews and Europeans (mainly looking white) passed down the Torah/Bible... people just associate that with whiteness. Jesus was Jewish and from an area in the Middle East, so it's doubtful he had light brown hair, fair skin and blue eyes. Today that's definitely a feature in the Middle East... but that is because of immigration. Long ago, people did not have the ability to immirate with the ease we do today, so there wasn't a lot of mixed race relationships going on to produce the variety of pigments and features we have today.

I picture God... somewhat similar to human form because the Bible claims we are all made in his image (man AND woman)... but he's ageless. It's not like he's sitting up there with a long white beard pretending to be Santa and rewarding good people or punishing bad people.

People that try to conform God into something that fits their own personal tastes or agenda... whether it's a white male or black female... are not only wrong, but distracting themselves from the larger picture.

Would it really matter what gender or race God was? Wouldn't "his" character be the most important aspect?

• Could also just be a linguistics problem, yo.

In Finnish, "he" is hän, and "she" is also hän. So, Richard Simmons, Caitlyn Jenner and God would all just be hän. Non-distinction.

Also, y'all, the Bible has been translated a whole shitload of times. Giant 2000+ year game of telephone.

The history is
      Aramaic -> a -> b -> c -> ... -> z -> Latin. The point is, if ANY SINGLE ONE of a through z is like Finnish, then all the he's and she's are gone. Gone forever.
      then if you get the Bible in your gendered-pronouns language later... well, you make shit up.

What Guys Said 30

• I hope by 'we' you mean Europeans and North Americans. Because people from other parts of the worlds obviously don't think god is a white male. Infact, more than 90% of world religions are polytheistic and most of them are pagan.
    Polytheistic religions have a pantheon of loads of Gods (Hinduism has 330 million gods)
    and many of them are not even humans ( egyptian god anubis for example or the aztec god quetzalcoatl)
    Pagan religions worship the nature and elements ( eg. zoroastrianism consider fire god to be the supreme god). There are wind gods, water gods, sun god, moon god, etc.
    And monotheistic religions like Islam/ Judaism believe that god is formless. Infact it is forbidden in Islam to picturize anyone. They dont even have a painting of Muhammad the prophet.
    And Sikhism ( another monotheistic religion) depicts their god Waheguru as a traditional Sikh human ( brown guy).

• I picture her as more of an Alanis Morissette in aperance... Just me?

https://youtu.be/ZDaDEi9KF0E

• Men decided that, who else?

• have you seen the way god treats women in the bible?

• Because his son called him his father?

• I'm a polytheist and to me god/goddess holds many forms. You could look at Voodoo and see that their Loa have black skin, you could look at the Hindu goddess Kali who has dark skin and has a necklace of human sculls, etc. etc. It's just the God of the bible who is usually depicted as a white man (and again that's usually).

• Well technically pretty much all of the gods of the various religions were men, Buddha was a man a prince in fact, then there is Allah the prophet, the lord Jesus was a man etc, etc.

• Man, Men. somebody looking for answers to things they couldn't explain, then found answers to those things, and didn't change his opinion so they could keep a finger on everybody.

• I met God, when an IED exploded near me. And you know what? God was a hot Asian chick. The end.

• Humans created the imperfect idea of God. He doesn't exist for me. And that's apparently the reason I'm going to burn in hell, if he does exist. Not that I live a bad life, I live a good life, but since I don't believe in him, hell for me.

• the person who came up with that whole nonsense, living in a patriarchic society of course you dummy :D equality wasn´t a thing, when god was thought up.

• But... I am a man ;)

• It even says in the bible man is the dominant sex so it makes sense he's a man. It's a personification anyway. He represents all the good inside of everybody.

• You assume God is a man because the group did.
    In actuality, for God to have a gender would be very pointless.

But he is a man to me. And that's because a protective man is what makes me feel the most safe.

• I'm agnostic but leaning more toward atheism, I am also very interested in the topic and debates on religion

• Sexist men, just like the ones who wrote the bible and other religius texts.

• GOD isn't a man he's spirit its says it in the bible if you would actually study it instead of listening too other people talk about

• Yes, I know God is a spirit. I was just curious to know who decided God was a man because at some stage 'He' no longer was portrayed as a spirit but as a man.

• Mohammed and Jesus and pals with Moses

• God can be whoever or whatever God wants to be. If God wants to be a man, then God can be a man. Nothing is impossible for God.

• Because when humans invented religion and god and jesus and all that, society was basically incredibly male-dominated, so naturally when all the characters of power were created, they were created as male.

• God is supposedly a hermaphrodite.

• The image of God is made out of our image. Of every human. We can't be sure God is male or white. We are only sure that if we ever see him we would be very enchanted and magnified to him and kneel for him (that's what the bible says)

• Whoever was the person who first made up the religion, I suppose.

• Go on YouTube com type in zeïtegheist
    It explains a lot
    Well the religion one does

• The bible even say the Holy Father

• God was invented by men, so he's a man.

• You shouldn't dismiss something, just because you can't see it. Science can prove that

• I'm an atheist, but most religions are patriarchal, so they leaders have decided that thei "god" is a man.

• It is because the bible refers to God as him. Apparently God also favors the idea that women should submit to men. That doesn't sound like something a female god would do.

Years ago I heard that there are some texts that suggest that at one point there was a female counterpart to God, and the people back then just sorta threw that part out. If that is true that could serve as greater evidence that God is suppose to be male. Religion is also written by humans. When creating their gods they couldn't imagine gods that didn't have gender.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't know, in my religion, Islam, god is nor a male or a female, he's not a human and he doesn't have a race. God is higher power/strength/energy and we have no clue whatsoever on how he looks like.

• you just said him when referring to god.

• @blondfrog I was sure someone was going to say this, but saying him doesn't mean he's a man, it's just a linguistic rule in which we put the male article arbitrarily, like in French for example when we say Ils (even if there are 10 girls and 1 boy in the bunch)

• well said

• Well people at that time were extremely sexist.

• We assume God is male because it says so in the bible. We assume he is white because people assume Jesus was white.(Hes Israeli)

• I did hahah! NAH! the world will never know~

• that is not really true.
    god was never represented in religion except by Michelangelo in "The creation of Adam"
    Islam refused any representation of the supernatural: aniconism.
    Now why we see him as a "he", that s because society have always been male dominant.

• that's the kind of stuff we will never know lol

• The Bible is written that way, simply because (IMHO) it makes it easier for us as humans to comprehend a gender specific pronoun (He).

It never actually says that God "is a man". :)

• well, i'm a christian and jesus called him father, so do we, jesus was white and god's son, he is the representation of god. I always pictured god as an old man with a long white beard but no one knows

• Got isn't a human being so I doubt He has a race unless and we call God a male because it says He's referred to as a "He" throughout.

• God isn't a man though.

• yeah, I don't know why. I always thought of God as a gender-less being, but most religions use male pronouns. It's probably because of the sexist ideology that men are more powerful.
    I know in Christianity Jesus was male, and when people talk about the Lord and our Saviour they can refer to either God or Jesus (and they're supposed to be the same anyway). So that might be one reason. But in my mind, God doesn't have a gender. Neither does the HOly Spirit.