What is your personal theory on why the universe is expanding and where it is going?

No judgement, if you are religious.

Most Helpful Guy

• https://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ

Such a nice change of pace to see someone actually acknowledge this concept on here. That being said... I am way to dumb to figure it out. We may never know why, or how it is accelerating in its expansion. As for what it is expanding into I saw a video of Carl Sagan talking about a theoretical extra-uneversal dimension and how any entities living there would precive us if they even noticed in the first place.

What Guys Said 4

• My personal theory is what I call the "rubberband effect".

I believe that, yes, the big bang started everything, but as time goes on, and more black holes are formed, through collapsing stars; those black holes will eventually merge as they pull in more matter, and grow larger.

As the combined black hole expands, its gravitational pull will increase, pulling in more and more matter (as black holes do). Eventually, waaaaaaaay down the road, this super massive black hole will become strong enough to halt/reverse the expansion of the universe, pulling everything back into a single point of incredibly condensed matter.

The pressure created by this one, single collection, of all matter in the universe, will eventually create another big bang, starting the entire process over again.

• In my mind, its a chemical reaction, that will keep on going on and expanding, until it reaches equilibrium.

• I am one of those folks it is just happened and if I thought about it I would get a headache

• Who knows, we may come to find out its not. Or its something else all together. CERN should give some answers but the most important answers probably won't appear until after the technological singularity

What Girls Said 0