Are smart people automatically nerds? What is a nerd exactly?

If someone is very intelligent, are they automatically nerds? What do you think makes someone a nerd? Is that the same as "geek" ?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Girl

• A nerd is someone who values intelligence over social activity. A geek is similar is the sense that they value some sort of activity over being social. Geeks aren't necessarily smart, but nerds are.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• A nerd is a smart person who lacks social skills frequently because they are obsessive about something.

A geek originally was someone with no social skills because he was weird, he wasn't necessarily smart. The two words seem to be used interchangeably now.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• I guess nerds are those who usually have their noses in a a book, and are socially awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nerd is someone who has unusual ammount of interest in one field. You don't have to be smart to be a nerd. You just need to know a lot about something that's usually boring. Like pickles, or miature trains.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the word nerd implies someone of high IQ, but with some deficit in Social Skills. A geek is more of a fanboy to my thinking, like someone who goes around in A Star Fleet uniform nad says "Live Long and Prosper" or whatever the current buzzword is.

0|0
    0|0
  • If someone is very intelligent but socially awkward that is a nerd. A modern geek is a tech savy hipster.

0|0
    0|0