Why is "for" so offensive?

If I say "oh, she's pretty, FOR a 16 year old", granted I'm 26. Why is that wrong?

Most Helpful Girl

• There's an implication that the compliment only applies because she's coming from a group of people you consider inferior in some way, and it's a qualifier. If you say someone is pretty FOR their age, it's like saying, "Compared to your ugly peers, you're pretty. But you're not pretty on your own, just FOR someone your age."

I think it's more understandable when directed at someone who's underage, to be fair. But it's still language used for an insult, so don't be surprised if someone takes it that way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it's kind of implying she's only pretty compared to other girls her age. I don't see it as THAT offensive
    But if someone said "she's pretty for a black woman" it could be implied that usually black women aren't that pretty. I could see how that ones offensive.

• I know white women who only find blacks attractive

• Asker, what did that have to do with anything?

What Girls Said 5

• That's just like saying she's pretty for a young kid. She knows that she's a high schooler and that an adult wouldn't be attracted to her anyway, I don't get why she would find that offensive.

• There is nothing offensive about it! Especially, when you are much older. You're basically making it understood that you understand she is underage and off limits.

For her age she is very pretty. They just wanted to be considered pretty in all age ranges. In all categories, and you didn't give them what they want.

Nothing wrong with it.

• Its a backhanded compliment. Like saying she is pretty for a black girl or maybe he is attractive for a chubby guy. In your case, saying for a 16 year old, that's just setting boundaries.

• Example: That's like saying "she's pretty for a latino girl." That implies that generally Latino women are not attractive and she's a rare exception. You would basically be saying most Latino women are ugly except the person you're referring to. It's insulting.

• its degrading against that particular group. like saying "she's good at lifting for a girl" is offensive since its saying that girls can't lift. it just completely turns that compliment into an insult, by implying that certain label is not in anyway good, or in your case, pretty. just leave it to "oh, she's pretty."

What Guys Said 4

• People these days get offended at every whim. It's kinda like a 'trend' now. I wouldn't bothe.

• Because they make it offensive. She gets upset that you aren't being all over hear complimenting her and her beauty. That and the competition.

• It's quite offensive. You should just stop at "She's pretty", if you have to say it all.

• There's nothing wrong with it,

Everything is wrong with feminist society.