Has anyone ever said this to you?

"You're too beautiful to smoke".
"You're too beautiful to fight". etc.

I've heard these things said.
And it has always left me mind boggled.
As if you have to be ugly to do those things?
Only then it will be considered acceptable.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm neither beautiful nor a smoker so nope, I've never heard it.

I've seen it said in the comments sections of porn videos (yes I occasionally read the comments 😔)
    They'll say something like "that girl is too beautiful to be doing porn". Or "she's to beautiful to be disrespected like that".

It's this unspoken mentality that beautiful people are more valuable, and more deserving of respect. People also let them get away with thing they wouldn't let less attractive people get away with. For example think of all the models essentially take their clothes off and make sesually suggestive poses/facesfor a living. It's considered artistic because the girl in the picture is beautful. However if an average looking girl poses naked and makes a sexually suggestive pose its significantly less likely to be seen as artistic.

In regards to the smoking comment, I can kinda understand that. The logic is smoking accelerates aging and that beautiful people should try to preserve their beauty. However if you weren't beautiful to begin with then you don't have as much to lose. (well aside from cancer and lung problems).

I guess saying a girl is too beautiful to fight is saying that because she's beautiful and should guys willing to defend her and thus doesn't have to fight her own battles.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess they don't want the beauty ruined by prematurely aging skin from smoking or a broken nose from fighting. I don't think they meant that you have to be ugly to do those things.

My mind was boggled when someone said I was too smart to be a teacher. I wasn't aware that teachers were dumb.

What Guys Said 14

• "You're too ugly to kiss me"
    "You're too old to have sex with me"' etc.

It's always rainin' somewhere! ; - )

• Yeah... Does sound kinda of weird. Although smoking does make you ugly I don't see any problem with fighting under the right conditions.

• They said it because of their white knight instincts were working full time. 'Delicate' women shouldn't physically exert themselves apparently. Seems like a stupid ideal to me. And kind of sexist to beautiful women.

• Strange one maybe they were trying to talk you down by giving you a compliment

• No they don't make sense. I guess the smoke one kinda does. Smokers age faster get leathery wrinkled skins. So maybe that's what they said that?

• Maybe it's like
    It'd be a shame if the smoke would ruin your beauty
    same goes with a punch to the face

• I think what they mean is that you have more to lose, because you're beautiful. I'm ugly as a rock. If I get my face messed up fighting, no one would even notice the difference.

• I find smoking very unattractive.

When I see a beautiful woman smoking it... disappoints me. I'd never say "You're too beautiful to smoke..." I just wouldn't say anything. But I wouldn't think she's particularly attractive anymore either.

• Similarly unintelligent women. A very attractive woman who is a dimwit... immediately makes me think she's a lot less attractive. If you can't carry on a half-way decent conversation with you, I don't care if you are a VS model.

or a beautiful woman who's a racist, similar principle.

• Smoke and fight and you won't be beautiful for long.

You're wasting a gift is what folks are saying.

• I've had people tell me I was too cute or too nice to be gay

• I've heard stuff like 'you're too dumb to insult'
    'You're too pretty to be smart' lol.

• Or you are too pretty to fart.

• I smoke and I'm God's fucking gift, so that's bullshit...

• I have hears that and actually thought that before. I see what you are saying and no it isn't but sometimes it seems a shame is all.

What Girls Said 11

• The thing is, after the mouth opens, they have to say some words. Sometimes they can't think of any good ones.

Well, that's more like most of the time. Lol.

• Lol yep. I get: You're too pretty to swear.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

• haha! YES! lol! Its really weird!

• I dislike respectability politics. They're paternalistic and insulting.

• Never ever heard those sayings. They don't make much sense to me.

• Lol a guy told me once that im too good of a girl to be going in that bar. So yeah i get what you're saying. Cause its like who you are to tell me what I am 'too..." whatever it may be to be doing what I out of free will have chosen to do :/

• I got told I am too beautiful to have low self esteem. Which is false because looks have nothing to do with self worth.

• yea...
    when I drink to much
    or speed a lot
    or try physical stuff
    or fight

• Sure. My brother told me I was too beautiful to smoke but I don't smoke anymore.

• That is.. Really stange..

• Yeah somebody has told me that I was to pretty to be bi lol