Is it bad that I want a baby, at age 17?

I see all my friends having babies, so it makes me wanna have one 😕 is that weird?

Most Helpful Guy

• You're 17 how would you support it and you? They don't stay infants very long. You have no idea the work involved having a kid. Sleepless nights and all. No more parties, no more going out at nights, always broke, working your ass off at a job then comming home to work your ass off some more. You're way too immature

What Guys Said 40

• 17 is faaaaaaaaar too young to make such a huge decision. This is a LIFELONG commitment, you realize? You cannot do that to a baby. You owe the baby more than that. You need to know how to raise them, first. To say nothing of having the resources to give the baby the best life possible. I know how it feels to want a baby. I have been there, as well. Perhaps not as much as a woman, but I know the feeling of wanting a mini-me. I wanted a baby girl since I was 15. But you can't be selfish in this, right? You can't make such a lifelong decision that isn't only consequential to you, but also another life. Another two lives counting the guy.

And you're so young that you don't even know if the guy will stick around. It's best to wait and make sure you find a committed guy who also wants babies. But even then, people change. In my personal opinion, people should not have babies until at least 22-25. The frontal lobe doesn't fully develop until 26, 27. Getting as close to that as possible means you become a regular adult, capable of the best critical thinking. Your personality will also stabilize more, and you will be the same person for longer. Think about how much you've changed from 10 years old. Now think about another 7 years. How much more will you change? It's too big of a gamble.

My girlfriend wanted a baby when she was 17, but we talked about it and decided we were too young. Neither of us even had a job. Do you even have a job? Babies are hella expensive. It costs 1 million dollars to raise a baby to 18. Maybe 2 million these days. You're not even there yet, yourself. I think it's natural to think about and want. It's not wrong to think about. But you have to use your head. You can't be impulsive. Really think about decisions this big before doing them. Teens tend to be impulsive and emotional about these sorts of things more often than not. You have to recognize that and stop yourself and think. Like you're doing now. Which is good.

• Well, are you econmically able to raise it? WITHOUT bleeding some poor sod of child support!

Are you mature enough to give the kid what it needs?

Will it significantly negatively impact your education?

The anwer to all three are statistically "no". thus you should not have a child yet.

But is it weird to want one too? Not really. Human (and especially female) biology is extremely interresting when it comes to offspring, and how you respond to it. Primarily it makes ratonal decissions go to hell (as whitnessed by how fresh parents puts their spawns of satan on a pedestal and gives them angel wings, no matter how the toddler behaves. And allso by how "baby crazy" tend to spread like this)

• I don't see nothing wrong with having a child at the age you are, the only common problem is with that generally is your age. And this is because at your age most people aren't ready to have a baby. You have to be able to afford the baby, you have to be able to support the baby. I'm not saying you are throwing your whole life away buy having a baby puts a hinge on any plans like college or working towards a career. This all usually takes a while to setup and most people don't have all this at a young age. So when they have babies at these agesbit is frowned upon. But just in general wanting a baby there isn't a problem. I want children and like literally no other guy I know wants any. Obviously even if you have all these things people will look down on you, but they can shove their opinion up their ass, everyone has there preference and it's not like your 12.

• is it bad? no. it's natural biology

but hopefully you can decipher between what you want and what you need or should have. like you may want a child but at 17 are you physically, emotionally, financially, etc prepared to have a kid

• What you really want is to feel relevant. Perhaps it's time to find something else worth being relevant to.

• No, it's neither weird nor bad. It's normal to want children, it's the very thing we live for.

What would be bad is acting on it if you're not financially stable enough. And since you're seventeen, you probably still live with your parents, so the average seventeen year old would not be able to handle a baby on their own, but that's different for everyone so you'd need to decide for yourself whether you're ready for it. Move out, find a job, maybe try babysitting to see if you can handle a child, find a reliable partner. That last one especially can be quite challenging because you often don't know what people are like with children until they actually have children, but try to find someone who wants children too and will actually care for them and not just party everyday and forget about the child, and thus leave you alone having to care for it.

I don't think your age itself is the problem here; what matters is how financially stable or dependent on your parents you are, so depending on those factors this could work out fine or go horribly wrong. Initially, you should think long and about that. Then you can decide whether you're ready to have a child at this point in your life. But if you're not ready yet, having the desire is natural and acceptable. Just don't act on it.

• It depends on whether you can provide a stable household with stable finances, and whether you are ACTUALLY ready to take on such responsibility.

You think you "want one", but you have no idea what you are signing up for.

Then you'll be pissed when you realize it is not that easy and then raise the kid in an abusive household.

Happens all the time. Don't be that person.

• Yes and no. Yes, because you are basing this want a lot on the fact that your friends are having babies. Not to mention, you may not be ready, both emotionally and financially. On the other hand, it is rather normal for young women and even older girls to want to have a baby. However, that doesn't mean they should.

• No. It is completely normal and there is nothing shameful in being a young parent. My mother had me at 15 and made it work. HOWEVER, having a baby at 17 is certainly less than ideal since things will be more difficult for you. It would be best to wait until you reach a better moment in life, but if you do ever find yourself with a baby young, you make the best of it and always remember that there is no shame in being a mother.

• !7 is too young to be thinking about babies - Wait a couple of years then decide

• its normal, women have moments where they really want kids, like men have moments where they really wanna fuck

• It depends on whether you mean you want one right now or you'd like to be a mother some day.
    A motherly instinct is not a bad thing.

Where I'm from in Asia, girls get married and have their first kids at around 16-17 but they're considered woen there.

• No if you want a baby you can have one. But you have to understand that it's not something you can show off but you have to raise it ya know?

• Think about the child. Do you really think it wants to be brought up on benefits and child support?

Until you have your own place and a job that can provide. No. That's how I see it.

• It is unless you're independent (independent as in no one is giving you money. Not a boyfriend not your parents or guardian. You pay for your housing and food all on your own then it's fine)

• Wanting to have a baby is not bad. It's perfectly fine and I would say natural. What would be bad though would be acting upon that without being prepared aka no stable relationship, no stable work, etc.

• It's not weird. It's OK to have fantasies, but it would really put your life on hold right now, just when your life is going to get exciting!

• Making a life changing decision based on 'i see all my friends having babies' is probably not the best approach here.

• it doesn't make you a bad person for wanting kids. all i can do make a suggestion, and that is to wait. graduate school possible even go to collage. in doing so you are making a better life for you and your future kids.

• No not at all, its human instinct, but its bad if you do it recklessly, you need to have a plan, raising a kid is no picnic, if you think you're responsible enough to take care of another human being then go for it.

• Baby fever yeah?

• Don't have a baby, if you want to have a stable future and do what you want to do then don't have a baby. Remember that if/when you do that's putting your life on hold for 18 years.

• Typical mindless female following the latest fashions and trends. Yes, it is bad that you want a baby.

• I wouldn't say it's bad but isn't that to early? You'd need to be financially stable and spend a lot of money. Wouldn't it be easier to wait till later on in life? You'd at least need a full time job to cover these things i'd say.

Also good luck finding a guy that would be committed to raising a child at such a young age.

Enjoy your youth when you have it, don't get tied down so early is all i can say.

• not weird. But actually getting one... hm

• At 17 you won't be able to earn enough to sustain yourself let alone a kid, thats a bad idea, people that are having kids before 23 that are PLANNED are kinda a bit weird in my opinion

• you see all your friends having babies? where do you live? i'm 22 and just now everyone is having babies all of a sudden

• It can be bad trying to support one.

• Yes, Yes it is and if your friends are having babies a t 17 you need new friends

• Not really. You're still young after all. But don't go too far and actually get pregnant. Just be patient, and wait till you're old enough to have one.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 22

• I don't think it's a good idea to want to have a baby at 17. I mean ur really young and have ur whole life ahead of you. Just think if u had a baby, ur life wouldn't be urs anymore, it be all about the baby & its needs. You be tied down and not be able to come and go as you please. I'm not saying babies are bad & not enjoyable but they take a lot of work, energy, & money. It's just a huge responsibility.

Right now u have the ability to worry about u, chase ur dreams, work, earn ur own money to get what u want such as a car. Also, u can date, go to college, go out with ur fiends without having to find a bay sitter & packing a diaper bag & getting stroller togther. Babies are good & blessings but later when ur more older & mature and have a stable home, money, & spouse. :) so just hold off and enjoy being young & live a lot more. :)

• Yes it is bad. As cute as babies are they need a lot of care and love and money and support. Do you have any of that to offer? No. No one does at your age. Go to school, college, become self-sufficient and then you can have a baby.

• Kids shouldn't be having kids. You may want one now but you can't handle it and you'll regret it right away. I'm not saying you, personally, can't handle it but at that age you really can't. Its not like having a pet, this is the real shit. You won't be able to focus on school or even a job because that baby is SO much work. I love babies and I want to have one but not that early. Wait till you mature, finish school, and meet a great guy. Believe me , you don't want this baby right now. And you especially shouldn't want one because your friends have one. It isn't all rainbows and lollipops hun.

• ... having a baby is not like having a new phone or new hair colour. i hope u know that.

• You already know it's bad since you're asking. "Baby Fever" isn't weird, but you have to think logically about the life that you can provide a child right now. It certainly wouldn't be the best possible since you have gone to college or found a secure career.

• Yes.

They are expensive asf, I doubt you are financial stable enough.

Nursery $693 on average
    Feeding equipment $234
    Breastfeeding equipment $234
    2 Safety gates $120
    Basic troller $139
    Car seat $100
    Disposable diapers $72 per month
    Day care center $768
    On average people spend $10,158 on the first year on the baby.

New parents on average lose 44 days of sleep in the first year of a babies life.

On average 950,000 woman are diagnosed with postpartum depression which pretty high considering there are 4.3 million live births each year (USA).

Get a puppy.
    http://i.imgur.com/aafLqGY.gif://

• Yes! It just shows how immature you are!

• This question shows your education so far has failed you.. so you need to keep going with school.. you need it.

• Are any of them happy? I can bet my bottom dollar that they're struggling. If you want that for yourself, then go ahead. If not, focus on graduating from high school and getting into college.

• You won't want it once you have it...

• it's not weird, but wait till your done with school at least, being a student and mom is pretty hard, and if your parents / guardians don't give you money to support the baby, you'll have to get a job, and having a job, going to school and being a parent will probably stress you out, and you won't have time for your friends. but good luck with whatever decision you make

• Simple.

If all your friends were jumping off of bridges would that make you want to do the same?

• No but if I were you I'd wait. Maybe babysit theirs. Leave the baby for a time when you are financially stable and preferably have a committed relationship, too. You dont want your child to grow up in chaos.

• I think honestly that you want one, but you might regret having it early in high school. I think you will be happier when your older. It is not weird, I am 15 and I want one, but not right now

• Yes. Stop watching teen mom. Your new life goal should be making it to your 21st birthday without having to find a babysitter or not drink because your pregnant.

• I think its the mother instinct in you kicking in you are young my advise would be to look into it when you are in your 20`s live your life for now you could baby sit if you want to cuddle babies and be around them

• Babies are nice, but they ruin your body. Just baby sit your friends babies, it's the same but less titing.

• If you can't support itwith your own money you know you will have, and he would be the father figure too, then it's fine

• Don't be ignorant like that be more mature about your decisions pls thats crazy

• It's not bad, but it isn't advisable either

• no it isn't eird but at age 17 you may be a little to young as you are still classed as a child your self you are better off waiting till you find the right person to have a baby with and get settled down before you get to that stage

• I had a baby at 19 and trust me you're not going to like it