What does a panic attack feel like? What happens when you have one?

Most Helpful Guy

• It feels like panic. Your heart might quicken. You might breath hard and pant. You might have uncontrolled pacing that you can't stop. You might be extremely fidgety. It will come on fast and strong. You'll know it's all in the head, and know all you have to do is stop, but you don't stop. That's the trap. You know you can stop at any time, and you really can stop at any time. But it keeps happening anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• It feels like you can't breathe, although you're clearly breathing. And then you just feel fidgety and can't sit still... And you feel very anxious about stuff, although you can really pinpoint what it is you're anxious about.
    That's how it was for me when I had some mild panic attacks :/

What Guys Said 2

• Can't breath. Chest feels like it's constricted. I had one once when I was 15 or 16. Was supper stressed out, apparently from what the doctor said, and my ribs got inflamed and started to squeeze on my lungs. That shit was scary. Couldn't breath worth shit. Next two days I did absolute shit and stared out at the sky sitting in the back of my truck lol.

I also had one when I got really high when I was probably 16 or 17. That shit wasn't fun at all either. Was with a bunch of good friends. I tried to hide it but it was to extreme. Couldn't breath. Needed lots of water. Had to lay down and shit. It became an inside joke after the fact and was kinda funny. I think I kept asking for water or some shit. I dunno, w/e lol.

Oh, and now that I think about it. I used to have mini ones when I was really young. Like 10ish to 13 or so. My mother used to have to walk me down the street and tell me to breath through my nose and exhale out through my mouth. I still do that repetition sometimes. It really helps.

But I haven't had one since then. I mean. It's been at least 15 years. I guess I have learned, grew out of, my anxiety or stress. I used to be in my head a lot. Super introverted person.

• Like your dieing for no reason.

What Girls Said 2

• I believe I had a panic attack once. I was very nervous because I had to do a speech in front of the class. I went up there and suddenly felt like I wasn't even in my own body. I didn't even realise I had backed up into the corner of the front of the class. I was dizzy and felt so detached. I was trembling a lot, and as if I didn't already look like a weirdo, I kinda laughed a bit because I was so nervous (I'm the type that laughs when they're nervous!). My arms suddenly became very tingly, I could not breathe properly, and it was just embarrassing and painful! The teacher took me outside and helped me to regulate my breathing but I still was experiencing anxiety for hours after and could not stop shaking. I don't know if it was a panic attack but if it wasn't, I was very close to it!

• You can't breath and you start crying!