Do you think people have to live like another for a while to understand where they are coming from?

Do you think people have to live like another for a while to understand where they are coming from?Do you think people have to live like another for a while to understand where they are coming from?
Example; rich people living poor lifestyle, city people living like country, one race exploring another, white people understanding blacks people... do you think it possible?

Most Helpful Girl

• I absolutely do. I can't understand what it's like to be a person of color, fantastically wealthy, or a man because I'm not of those things. I can speculate and try to empathize and sympathize, but at the end of the day I'll never know the nuances of their lives. Just like they won't know mine.

That's why it's so important to have basic human respect for everyone. We can't ever fully understand one another but we can at least try to respect one another and make the world a better place for all of us.

What Guys Said 6

• I think I understand people who are in situations that I have not encountered, and temporarily living on someone else's circumstances is not the same as living that way as a permanent lifestyle. I think the answer to the question depends on how you define "understand where they are coming from," because that is a rather vague and nebulous concept.

• A lot of "rich" people have earned their money through the hard way. You don't need to literally live in someone's shoes to understand their obstacles.

• Yeah, they do. You don't know the shit they have to put up with. I sometimes forget there's kids in Africa who haven't eaten in days while I down an entire pizza. You haven't lived their life so god knows what they endure. It's offen things we can't..

• Is it necessary? No. You just need empathy for that. Is it possible? Don't think so. Whether you start something new or not, you'll always have your old bias there.

• Yes I do think so

• no. since i have more developed empathy than that.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you could picture something from a certain extent, but yes, to truly understand the depths of someone's experience you have to step in their shoes, live their life.

• Not necessarily. You don't need empathy in order to sympathize with another.

• I think they have an understanding of how the person lives, but not how they feel.

When someone walks in someone else's shoes , as though to speak... they tend to live that person's life through their own feelings, thoughts and emotions. So they can't possibly know what it's really like to live that person's life. The person has a past and their past has defined their present. No one can know what it's truly like, even those who live a similar lifestyle.