How can I have a more sophisticated and elevated vocabulary?

I'm starting to read more books to learn more words, but the problem is that the words don't stick in my head! I forget them within 24 hours! Any ideas? Let me know what you guys do!

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's one suggestion that I still use myself: Read articles on the internet. News articles, current events, movie reviews, whatever. But try to find stuff that's written at a high level. When you come to a word you're not familiar with open a new tab in your browser and just type it into the search box. Learn what it means and go back to whatever it was you were reading. Yes, lots of times you'll have to look up that word again because it didn't stick. But if you make a habit out of doing this it will help you grow your vocab.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 13

• Vocabulary is not as important as you think - Do you get your point across if yes then why do you need to learn new words - Communication is about getting the message across not how you say it - Some of the most wonderful communicators I have met use the simplest language possible and some of the most educated have been god awful bores who lost me with their flowery language - Who made the biggest impression on me the person who got the message across simply and clearly.

• It's really hard to remember words unless you use them frequently. Unfortunately, such verbiage is hard to use in everyday life because the average person doesn't understand some of the more elaborate words out there. Most verbal communication is pretty basic stuff. I've noticed a tendency for people to be more eloquent in print though. So perhaps you could take up writing and use these words. Perhaps over time they'll become a part of your frequently used vernacular.

• Pick a word you want to learn and commit yourself to using it at least twice in a day in conversation. No matter how much you have to steer the conversation or sentence to it, do it. Try again a second day and hopefullly that's enough to stick in your mind. Visualize it too when you're starting out your day

• first you got to wear glasses. then you got to start drinking tea. it all falls into place from there.

• When you come across a word you don't know, look it up. Or you could write it down to look up later.

One time I read a Stephen King novel and I kept coming across words I didn't know so I started writing them down in a notebook to look up later. I filled several pages by the end of the book. So, it helps to pick good reading material too.

• Make reading a habit. With time, these words will enter your mind naturally and stay there. It's not something you develop from one day to the other. Try to read at least one book per month. And try to read newspapers and articles about science, politics or history daily. It can be no mistake ;)

• Compose sentences the next day using the words of the previous day.

• Watch BBC News and mimic them,.

• Read read read read read. Don't expect to notice the change, it'll be imperceptible to you.

• practice them. write to people using them. just ensure it's in the proper context.

• I honestly don't know. Why are you even trying to learn these kind of vocabulary?

• If you start using bigger words that you normally wouldn't especially if they sound out of place, it'll make you sound fake, and like you're trying too hard

• Write them down. What I do..

What Girls Said 2

• I do flashcards it helps.. I test myself / make people test me.. recent words i've learnt are

Probity
    Autonomous
    I
    Serene
    Affable
    Belittle
    Abode
    Irenic
    Etc..

The problem I have is to know how u use it in real life like how you'd structure the sentence

• Simply read more.

• Does reading actually help? I want to read but im afraid it'll affect my eyes.. I already wear glasses. I don't want to strain my eyes. Any advice?

• @Anongirl1233 Yes of course, reading broadens the mind and vocabulary, when you come across words you don't know look them up/meaning that helps to learning the meaning of words you never knew.

• True but what about straining your eyes?