Why do women say that being a mother is the hardest JOB?

First of all, it's not. It def. isn't but also, if you're finding that being a mother is a JOB to you, you're not a very good mother

You still haven't actually answered the question

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a figure of speach really. The reason mother's say that is because some people ridicule mothers for staying at home to look after their kids while the husband go out to work. They insinuate mother's have an easy life being at home all day instead of going out grafting at work. So they say being a mother is the hardest job to let other's know that although they may not go out to work... they don't sit around on their ass being lazy all day

Mother's have to care for their children 24/7 . If the child is poorly she'll have sleepless nights then still care for her child during the day while she is exhausted. House chores still need to be done shopping , cooking etc etc no matter how poorly or exhausted she is. She can't phone in sick or hand a sick note in to get time off. She can't have weekends off to do as she pleases. She can't relax at home on night times like you can after work. Her entire life 24/7 revolves around her kids

It's a challenge being a parent, because you are faced with new challenges everyday. It's physically, mentally and emotionally , draining at times. So comparing & referring being a mother as a job is actually an understatement.

Most Helpful Guy

• I fully agree with you. Women like to play the role of the martyr. I believe they think this uplifts them in society. It grants them praise and sympathy, that they haven't really earned.

They act like they never get a break even when they are sleeping, or when the child is away, yet fathers don't get that same type of credit. Fathers are either at home with the child, or at work earning money for his family so logically their job is never finished either. I even know single fathers that raised their children on their own that don't feel the need to pretend being a parent is harder than it really is.

Is being a parent hard? Sometimes it is. Is it the hardest job in the world? Not even close. The problem is that because men are unlikely to get sole custody or even be given the option of being a stay at home father, this is something women can use to show how unfair the world is to women, even though they this is a direct result of power that is uniquely feminine and they chose that life for themselves.

Lots of people that can't hold down regular jobs, become mothers all the time. If motherhood really was the hardest job, then any woman that was too disabled to hold down a regular job, should logically lose custody. After all if they can't do the easier jobs, then they certainly can't do the hardest job right? Yet no one really believes they should lose custody. Deep down we know they don't have it so bad. Being honest about it though earns a lot of hate and accusations about being so bad you don't even love or appreciate your own mother.

What Girls Said 12

• Why don't you try caring for a baby full-time? Even better if the baby is old enough to walk. Even better if he can talk. And better yet, if you have more than one child.

I'm not a mother but I've worked as a nanny for several families, and believe me when I say it is work. You don't get to enjoy meal times anymore - you're too busy making sure your children are all taken care of. You don't get quality time to yourself anymore. Except for when they're asleep, but be honest: you're ready for bed just like they are. Nevermind all the temper tantrums, constant questions, continuous supervision to make sure they don't destroy anything or hurt themselves, cleaning up bodily fluids, etc etc. Every age group comes with its own challenges.

Anyway, bottom line: When you're a parent, you don't come first anymore. Your child comes first. And you never stop working; you're at your job 24/7. That's not to say you don't absolutely LOVE your job, but saying it isn't a job is just incorrect.

• I'm sure being a mother is great, however it's basically a 24/7 thing but thats the responsibility of having children and wanting them. Its almost impossible to go back to a regular life, like you know when you get off work at 5 or something you can relax- sure you can probably relax with children but there is no breaks

• If you look at the definition of job there are several variations:
    1. A paid position of regular employment
    2. A task or piece of work, especially one that is paid
    3. A responsibility or duty <--- In my opinion is what most women refer to.
    Although I do think some women tend to feel like taking care of children can feel like a job sometimes because it can get pretty darn tough.

• I don't know how my mom work and than cooks at home and cleans everything! I am lazy! I take care of my needs and thats all!

• They mean it more in the sense that it is their responsibility or duty, like another girl mentioned. Being a college student is my job right now, I'm not being paid but it is my responsibility, duty, and main focus right now. It is crazy crazy hard to be a parent. You are never "off duty" and have to be "on" all the time. Sure I think most parents love it but it is seriously draining and exhausting.

• Why don't you test that theory? Become a full-time parent. If you can become a single parent, even better for the experiment. Perhaps you'll find the experience illuminating.

• It's a 24/7 job, no pay, you have to constantly watch the kids, take them places, while also doing all the house work, cooking and caring for your husband

But I also so think its the most rewarding job

• It def. isn't the hardest job though

• Well, no not in comparison to being like s physicist or something, but it's challenging in its own ways

• It's really more of a pleasure and a privilege than a job.

• 0|0
  • Oh boy youve just openned a massive can of worms.. and if i were you id hope no single mum or stay home mums read this thread. Im going to tell you right now its tough being a mum there's so many things you have to be espeacally to a girl.
    My sister a single mother of 3 is the most amazing person I've ever known she's the hardest working person I've seen and very seldom has time for herself and her isssues yet she holds it all together without tbe help of 2dead beat fathers of those kids

How Dare You

• My mom was a great mom and she worked full time while doing so. She had said her work was much more stressful though.

• Kids can be exhausting and be rewarding at the same time. Motherhood is also fraught with mental stress about doing a good enough job, guilt, identity erasement, etc. There is often no down time to it, yet it's generally just one role the mother plays.

It's hard to distinguish what the hardest job is, though. There are so many factors that make a task difficult - from physical strain to magnitude to time consumption to stress, etc.

What Guys Said 17

• Come on even trolls must have had mothers

• No, they spring fully formed out of radioactive pond scum after a thunderstorm.

• Because they want all the recognition of being a full time worker AND all the recognition of being a mother. Basically, they want to be treated like special snowflakes.

But you know what? People who work full time don't get to be spend time with their families. It's a tradeoff. People don't seem to understand tradeoffs.

Sure, being a mother is tough. So is life. So are careers. But the truth is, almost half the planet has the capability to be mothers. The same can't be said for rocket engineers, or brain surgeons. So no, it's not the toughest job.

• How would you know? You don't have a vagina or tits

• Right? There's plenty of harder jobs out there. Did a mother ever face getting blown up as a result of cutting the wrong colored wire? I think not!

• You have a point. If you view it is a job then it's sad. By the way, the women got knocked up and decided to have the kid. It was their choice, so they need to take responsibility and stop bitching about it. Funny how also that TV companies demographics are generally women and TV shows are for women. They do that for a reason. Sure it's not easy, but bitching about it is not going to help.

• It's a commitment and requires a lot of effort, but I'd rather be a stay at home parent than a logger or a coal miner.

• Wel I don't think you really have the right to say anything until you've become a stay home father yourself

• Because they don't get to experience what it's like to be fathers.

• When you parent correctly, it's a demanding job.

But women like to make out like everything they do is awesome.

• Cause they know we can never know it 😂 lol

• Because you're literally responsible for someone else's life. Not too many jobs require you to be solely responsible for the complete well being of another human

• Being president, a soldier, or even a surgeon are much harder jobs.

• Because women are COMPLAINERS. You don't see fathers complaining about the same thing.

• 0|0
  • It's a full time demanding role. We can call it a job.

Is it tougher than being a battlefield medic? no, not it is not.

• there are a way harder things than being a mom. Being a mom takes effort but it doesn't take specialized skills like a surgeon or other jobs do.

• You're so wrong its not even funny. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world if your doing it right. After that, it's being a teacher.

A parent needs to deal with the crying and the tantrums and knowing when to be tough on their kid and knowing what to say and when. Kids don't normally just grow up to be good people on their own and a parent needs to do more than just tell them "Yes, No. Because I told you etc." you need to inspire them and teach them to be emotionally strong people who can survive in a sink or swim road.

If your a good parent, the thought of your kid being homeless is an extremely scary one. the thought that your kid whose under 7 might hit his head and have a disability the rest of his life will scare the shit out of you. Mean while, you need to have the courage to let them go out and experience the truly dangerous world and be sure enough that you taught them how to not be idiots and have faith that they won't get themselves into trouble they can't get out of.

Honestly if your older than 24 and you can't see why being a parent is such a hard job, then your parents probably weren't so great.