Anyone know any cool facts about water?

I only know 2.

1) Water wasn't created on Earth (it came from a certain type (s) of comets with water on them) so techniqually the water we drink is out of this world

2) 99% of the water we drink has passed through a dinosaurs body so each little sip you can be sure its been theu a dinosaur which is awesome ahah

Updates:
I meant to put 'hypothesis' on the water not being from Earth.

But all you people saying its false... Its a hypothesis within the scientific community. No one really knows if it came from Earth or not but that Hypothesis is the most logical explanation of how water got here.

0|0
3|7

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• - Roughly 70 percent of an adult’s body is made up of water.
    - At birth, water accounts for approximately 80 percent of an infant’s body weight.
    - A healthy person can drink about three gallons (48 cups) of water per day.
    - Drinking too much water too quickly can lead to water intoxication. Water intoxication occurs when water dilutes the sodium level in the bloodstream and causes an imbalance of water in the brain.
    - Water intoxication is most likely to occur during periods of intense athletic performance.
    - While the daily recommended amount of water is eight cups per day, not all of this water must be consumed in the liquid form. Nearly every food or drink item provides some water to the body.
    - Soft drinks, coffee, and tea, while made up almost entirely of water, also contain caffeine. Caffeine can act as a mild diuretic, preventing water from traveling to necessary locations in the body.
    - Pure water (solely hydrogen and oxygen atoms) has a neutral pH of 7, which is neither acidic nor basic.
    - Water dissolves more substances than any other liquid. Wherever it travels, water carries chemicals, minerals, and nutrients with it.
    - Somewhere between 70 and 75 percent of the earth’s surface is covered with water.
    - Much more fresh water is stored under the ground in aquifers than on the earth’s surface.
    - The earth is a closed system, similar to a terrarium, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth millions of years ago is still present today.
    - The total amount of water on the earth is about 326 million cubic miles of water.
    Of all the water on the earth, humans can used only about three tenths of a percent of this water. Such usable water is found in groundwater aquifers, rivers, and freshwater lakes.
    -The United States uses about 346,000 million gallons of fresh water every day.
    The United States uses nearly 80 percent of its water for irrigation and thermoelectric power.
    - The average person in the United States uses anywhere from 80-100 gallons of water per day. Flushing the toilet actually takes up the largest amount of this water.
    - By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has lost over 1 percent of its total water amount.
    - The weight a person loses directly after intense physical activity is weight from water, not fat

Source : http://www.allaboutwater.org/water-facts.html

Enjoy :)

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Do you have a credible source for that first one because that smells faintly of bullshit to me.

0|0
    0|0
    • Reshearch it :)

• Show All
    • I don't have a source but yeah plenty of scientists believe there was the possibility that water on earth came from comets. I have no idea if the majority believe that but most believe it's a reasonable conclusion.

• @ihatethiswebsite unfortunately I cannot accept that conclusion without solid proof.

• It makes you not thirsty

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Both of your facts are certainly wrong.
    As for the first one, I think you are confusing something here. There is a scientific HYPOTHESIS (it's not a theory, hence not an actual, proven fact), that LIFE (meaning, basic amino acids) were brought to earth by the impact of a large comet or meteorite.
    Water however was certainly NOT brought to earth this way. Basic logic already makes this impossible. Most comets or asteroids have an diameter of a few hundred meters, maybe 1-2 kilometers if they're really huge rocks. No such rock from space could ever bring enough water to earth to fill all the oceans and lakes we have. Also, water can't magically reproduce and most importantly, solar winds and the sun's heat would have completely evaporated that small amount of water, long, long time ago and our planet would still look like Mars.
    Water was (and still is) created in Earth's early days through the fusion of Hydrogen and Oxygen. Both gases existed in abundance in Earth's young atmosphere and solidified in Earth's crust (minerals).
    As for your second fact: that too sounds like something copied from one of those amateurish websites that people google if they're bored at work. If at all, this would only be applicable to the fresh water on earth, since dinosaurs did not drink any salt water (salt water makes up roughly 95% of all the water on earth). However, even if we are obliging, it most likely isn't true. This "fact" is actually based on a big misconception and lack of understanding of biological and chemical process on our planet. One important reason why it is already partially false is because new water is constantly produced through oxidative or combustion processes and old water is being destroyed. More information here:
    aquadoc.typepad.com/.../dinosaur-pee.html

For facts that are actually true, I redirect you to @Swanny.

1|0
    0|0
  • The general rule is that most substances become more dense as they get colder. That's true for water as well --- until it freezes. Then it becomes ice which is less dense and allows it to float.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ice (solid water) is less dense than liquid water, which is odd because liquids gets denser when they are frozen.

0|1
    0|0
  • I know its chemical formula is H2O and that a water molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. It can take different forms. Solid, liquid, and gas form.

0|1
    0|0
  • Water makes you pee yeah?

0|0
    0|0
  • It can function as an acid or a base.

0|0
    0|0