Is it bad that I was indifferent when my mom died?

My mon died of cancer when I was 15 but I hardly ever saw her in the hospital and only went because my dad made me. She was such an overly emotional person (and even more so after her diagnosis) and drove me crazy so I never really cared for her. But worse still she came back and haunted me because apparently she passed the gene that gave her cancer to me so now I spit on her grave.

To clarify: I don't have it but I'm more likely to get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Um so that's actually very sad. Listen everyone has problems with their parents especially when your 15 believe me I know. I do and I'm not going into detail because I don't feel comfortable doing so. But if my mom was to get cancer or my father I would be there for them and I would be concerned. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty but don't you think she had the right to be over emotional. I know I would be if I was in a hospital all day knowing that any hour could be my last on top of that my son wasn't around enough. This is very upsetting because I'm going to college to be a musical therapist and the whole point of that job is to go into hospitals to help comfort sick and dying people and I don't know why you didn't find it necessary to go and comfort your mom. I'm sorry your sick but don't you find it would be a lot better for you to have people you love there with you for support? Reguardless of what you think I hope you do have people like that around you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone expresses their grief differently and maybe you'll experience that out of nowhere, but if you didn't have a good relationship with her in the first place, and you feel nothing for her passing whatsoever, then that's on you and not really my problem; you only have them parents once and your kids will likely be the same with your passing.

What Girls Said 4

• ok, its one thing to feel this way and another to be completely disrespectful- when realistically she raised you, did not abuse you, treat you poorly, the list goes on. She was battling an illness that she lost.. you still have a chance.

• I don't have it but I'm more likely to get it.
      by the way cancer's a disease not a battle.
      battles have winners and losers, diseases just have victims and survivors

• In your opinion. It's still quite sad you feel this way, its okay to be indifferent but I wouldn't go bad mouthing your mother who from the sounds of it didn't cause you "issues" till she was diagnosed, and emotional

• In my opinion what?

• I'm sorry for your loss, but everyone expresses grief in their own way (or even not at all). That doesn't make you a bad person.

• It's not bad, but if it turns out you have that cancer, I wouldn't be surprised if karma bit you in the ass and made it so no one gave a shit that you had it.

• Your weird. And I'm sorry you have cancer

• I don't have cancer but am more likely to get it

What Guys Said 1

• Some people you feel bad for others you do not. It really depends, it could have been childhood impulse or benign neglect, regardless the result is the same.