Do you have issues being 100% honest with a psychiatrist?

That or have problems opening up and being honest with a therapist.

I've been seeing this one psychiatrist for almost 4 years now. The guy is awesome and helps me a lot with dealing with my adhd. Still with the more sensitive matters I face with it. I honestly have issues telling him really hard core issues. Since I know if I do I will start crying, throat close up, and having to remember how horrible it feels when they happen. I hate having others see me cry so it makes it hard making myself do it. lol

• Yes
  • only about 1 thing
  • no
My main issue with fully opening up. It's because the part that I have such a problem opening up about. Is something I'm terrified of thinking about. So it's not about not trusting. It's more about I don't like thinking about when it happens. I fall apart every time I do. Guess you could say it's like facing a phobia.

Most Helpful Guy

• I was born into a family of 2 therapists. I can provide therapy to all of my friends but i cannot fix my own problems with it because i am so adept in how consultations and therapy is given. It is simply benign to me. I suppose if there is an abnormality in the therputist world, someone who doesn't just read off the book, then i most often flock to them, so far most therapist stick to the freudian way of going about things; psychoanalysis. They sit there not saying a word and don't do jack. It pisses me off simply because they consider that shit therapy and I pay you 150 per hour? Go fuck yourselves.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being 100% honest with a psychiatrist is really the only fool-proof way for them to be able to help you deal with your issues the best. I know it can often be quite tough to just voice exactly how you feel but I bet even doing just that often makes you feel better after all is said and done, literally.

Their job is to help you out so I'm sure they have zero issue or judgement of you crying. No need to worry. :)

What Guys Said 10

• no. honestly i've only been to a psychiatrist once after my parents divorced. i actually really liked feeling like i could just say anything

• Yeah I have some issues being totally honest to my therapist about some stuff but I'm getting better at being totally honest.

• I've never been to one, but honestly if my insurance didn't cover it I would want to spill all the beans so he or she could tell me my problem in one session lol but if my insurance covered it I would take it slowly and slowly spill the beans.

• Well my mom's a psychiatrist. But she prefers using the Jedi mind trick. So I've pretty much no choice.

• It's been forever since I went to one, but probably. Why? Two reasons;
    1) I'm shy.
    2) Still living with my parents, I'd be paranoid he would tell them what I said in our "private" conversation...

• Ofcorse, you don't tell them what's really bothering you otherwise it will pass onto them like a disease.

• Nah I just let it out

• Knowing the fact that you are going to be vulnerable , he can take advantage of you. So be careful.

• i have a lot of problems opening up to people, im super closed off an if you disrespect me ill try to double it back, i have some real issues that im terrified to deal with and i know if i did it makes all those problems real, so i just hide them, but i do know that if i was to talk about them i think i'd feel better personally, my dad taught me one good thing and that its ok to just cry

• perhaps tell him why you get kicks from telling people how to post on some random Web forum haha.

What Girls Said 5

• I've never had a therapist, but I would be super-sketched out by the knowledge that this person is paid by the hour, and gets paid more if (s) he keeps me coming back. Ya know?

Like, just from the business standpoint. The only way I could trust a therapist, would be if (s) he told me, up front, something like "My goal is to get you well and get you out of here as fast as possible, and by no means will I let this run more than X amount." Freelance business woman to the core, I am.

Yes, I know that would defeat the whole point of therapy, which could potentially get long and involved. But, that conflict of interest would just kill the whole thing for me. Could not get past.

If my life got so rocked by something that I lost everything, and the business perspective lost all importance, then I might be singing a different song, here.

• It's normal not to open up 100% during the first months, but the sooner you're able to open up about those issues, the sooner and better he'll be able to help you out.
    And remember that he's not going to judge you, and he's not going to think less of you if you cry. You are both there for the same reason: your well-being. So being as honest with him as you can is the best you can do... for you :)

• I've never gone, but if there's a place to get it all out, it's at the therapist's office.
    There are things I have never told my friends or partners, and it's a mixture of fear and guilt.
    But if I could see a therapist, I would tell the truth because it's their job to help me.

• When I went through counseling I got comfortable with the lady helping me and knowing I could go at my own pace and didn't have to tell her things right away helped me. So that made it a bit easier.

• I think everyone does. I haven't fully opened up and I have a very nice relationship with my counsellor and have been seeing her for nearly three years.