If you’re offended by something someone said, whose fault is it?

• yourself for being too sensitive
  • the other person for saying something insensitive/offensive
  • some combination of the above two
  • other

Most Helpful Girl

• Both? The speaker should be more careful about what they say (unless they're completely oblivious what they've said is offensive) but it's up to you how you perceive things

Most Helpful Guy

• They should not offend, it is easy not offend less easy not to be offended, for instance i find it very offensive if someone uses words that offend my disability, hate speech targeting a group of people or discriminatory abuse, people have the right to be offended by that because of what it means, i. e race, religion, sexuality, disability that sort of thing. If it is a harmless joke or is on TV i tend not to be offended.

What Girls Said 14

• Usually what someone says is a reflection of them.
    Some one who calls you a name is usually someone who has zero empathy skills and doesn't know how to use those skills to understand they shouldn't say those things.
    some one who just says dumb things might just be ignorant and not very informed.

Things people say are how that person percieves themselves, it usually has nothing to do with you.

• It depends: if I invite myself into the conversation and ask them for their opinion, it's more my fault. It's even more my fault if I interject myself into the conversation. But if someone just comes at me intending to be offensive then it's their fault.

• Everyone on the planet has different sensibilities. I could mention my little nephew and someone could be offended by that because they are trying to have a baby but haven't gotten pregnant just yet. There is no way of knowing. And you really can't control what offends you, either. If you turn off your emotions, that's just pretending because you don't want to feel.

• More often than not it is some of both. But not always.

• If you outright insult someone and they're offended, then it's your fault.

If you say something like "I eat meat" and they're offended, it's their fault.

• I don't care... really... what they say

• depends if it is reasonable for me to be offended or not with what they said

I'd say it depends on the remark made

• I rarely get offended, I can't remember the last time I did. So when someone does, is their fault lol getting me mad is like mission impossible😛

• It really depends on what's being said.

• well it depends on what they're saying now doesn't it?

• Depends on what they said.

• It's not necessarily anyone's fault, but if I had to pick it's the person who gets offended

• It depends, somethings are worth getting offended over while others aren't.

• It would depend on what they said.
    If someone says "all women are fat ugly cows who sprea their legs to any guy with a large paycheck" then I think I have a right to be offended without someone saying I'm being overly sensitive?

What Guys Said 4

• It depends. They have a right to be offensive if they want. However I also have a right to be offended. A lot of times there is good reason to be offensive, and other times there isn't. Sometimes there is good reason to be offended and sometimes there isn't.

The people that really get under my skin are the ones that want to act like they have a legal right to not be offended. We can not have both freedom of speech and a right to not be offended. These two ideas are simply incompatible.

People shouldn't act like jerks, but neither should they have to walk around worrying about what is currently politically correct for fear of accidentally offending someone.

• People have a right to be offensive? I can understand accidentally being offensive, like not knowing/understanding cultural differences, but why be purposely offensive to someone?

The problem with freedom of speech is that just because you can say whatever you want doesn't mean that you should. But then again, who is to decide what is offensive and what isn't? Depending on you you're talking with, even saying something innocuous could offend someone

So, I agree with your last statement. People shouldn't act like jerks but neither should they have to take a vow of silence to avoid offending anyone.

• yourself for being too sensitive

• Yourself. Nobody gives a fucking fuck if you're offended, you whiny little bitch. People nowadays act like it's their right not to be subjected to things that may offend them and try to censor anything that doesn't fit with their idealistic special snowflake views.

• It's very hard for me to get offended.