When doing laundry do you dry your clothes in a dryer or on a clothesline?

when doing laundry do you dry your clothes in a dryer or on a clothesline?

i dry my clothes in a dryer.

the main reason is because while researching how to deal with allergens like dust mites in bedding and other fabrics i read that studies have found that washing in hot water and drying in a dryer at high temperature for 30 minutes effectively sanitizes and kills dust mites and spores.

hanging clothes out to dry on a clothes line has a similar effect due to exposure to UV light. however i believe it's less effective unless you make sure all sides are exposed. also, airborne particulate matter like soot can get on your freshly washed clothes. i have also noticed that clothes dried outside tend develop a strange and unpleasant scent.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 7

• Always clothesline. I care for the environment and dryers are huge energy wasters, so I find it irresponsible to use them. Also, drying your clothes in a dryer makes the clothes go tear apart faster. I'm somebody who wears his clothes for many years (I've got 10 year old tshirts that I'm still wearing), so I also care about the longevity of clothes. As for the dust mites... that sounds a bit over-the-top obsessed with hygiene to me. First of all, they don't harm you as long as you live in a normal house/apartment and clean up regularly. I've never gotten sick from dust mites. Secondly, you can't avoid being exposed to dust mites anyway. They're everywhere, not just on your bedsheets and clothes. They're also inside your pillow and your mattress and your sofa and your bookshelf and your desk and your cupboards and pretty much any other place you can think of. Even if it looks clean, there will be some dust mites. And to scare you even a little more, I can tell you that there are billions of bacteria crawling all over your body all the time ;-).

• they do harm me and others with allergies. i developed eczema recently and it's linked to dust mites.

• Wow lucky that you get to use a clothesline all year round. It gets too cold here to do that.

• @musicbrain5 It's cold where I live too. I do it in the basement of the apartment block where I live. When you live in an apartment in Switzerland, you always have to sign up for a day when you want to do laundry. There's a community laundry machine for everyone and then there's also a big drying room with clotheslines where you can hang up your clothes. It takes a bit longer to dry them this way than outside in the summer but if you hang them up in the morning, they're usually dry in the evening.

• Well its snowing here so a clothesline wouldn't work so well.

• weather conditions :/

• wow ! that's a lot of snow !

• A lot more than we have had in the last few years but we have gotten 18 inches in one night before.

• Wintertime, dryer.
    Warm weather, jeans, underwear, t shirts dryer. Cotton Oxford shirts, hangers on the line, non-Jean slacks, pinned by legs on the line. The lint in your dryer is your clothes losing fibres.

• Dryer but my clothes would be frozen stiff if hung them out to dry now but in summer they would probably smell better but I do see your point

• Nah, I just throw the whole thing in the dryer and turn it on max. setting.

• Dryer cause murica.

• In a dryer. I have neither the time nor space to use a clothesline.

What Girls Said 10

• A dryer, we used to have a clothes line but we had to get rid of it because it was "unsafe" according to the owners of the neighborhood at the time.

• Dryer mostly, or an indoor drying rack. I live in Canada and can't use a clothesline for a good 6 months of the year. I have a clothesline but I usually just use it for bedsheets since it's not big enough for a whole load of clothes anyways.

• We don't own a clothes line lol

I usually throw it all in the dryer but if I need to wash something by it's self or it's the only thing that need washing I'll hsng it up from the shower curtain or on a rack.

• Usually dryer, however there's some knits that I can't put in the drier as well as delicate shirts.

• Dryer. Gets the job done faster.

• Both. Some clothes go into the dryer, but the dryer can ruin some clothes, so I line dry those.

• Why anyone would sorry something is beyond me. It always smells like mold afterwards

• Wash then dryer.

• When it is raining I put them in the dryer and when its a hot sunny day I let them air dry :)

• Certain items I toss in the dryer. But there are some things I hang up to air dry.