Question of ethics- MORAL DILEMMA , what would YOU do?

Imagine:

You are an EMT on the scene of a car crash that involves your spouse and the lover you didn’t know s/he had.

They are both gravely injured, your spouse’s injuries the worst of them. You can tell it’s unlikely s/he will pull through. Meanwhile, his/her lover has a neck wound that will prove fatal if pressure isn’t applied soon.

He will survive if you help him, she will most likely die , regardless of your efforts

Whom do you choose to try to save?

• My spouse- even though s/he cheated , and probably won't pull through, i have to at least try
  • Her/his lover- s/he can definitely be saved, saving a life is my job
  • I'd let them both die ( really)😱

Most Helpful Guy

• Where is the "Whistle, pretend you didn't notice, walk away, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over" option?

http://i.imgur.com/XujHL.gif?noredirect

• Or you can just tie a rope/t-shirt to the neck of the lover, to apply pressure of course, and tend to your spouse.

• Thank you for the MHO :D

• You're welcome

Most Helpful Girl

• I would tell my spouse I hate him for what he's done, that I would never ever forgive him and that I hope he burns in hell forever. I would tell his lover that she is a disgusting homewrecker that doesn't deserve to live. Then I would just sit down and wait/watch them both die.

What Guys Said 11

• Triage rules dictate that you save the person you're more likely to be able to save.

1. Lightly wounded who can wait for treatment, wait to be treated
    2. Badly wounded who need help right now to survive, get treated first
    3. Mortally wounded who are beyond help, are given no help - keep them as comfortable as possible, preferably somewhere out of earshot of the previous two groups, until they pass

Those are the rules. Relationships are not supposed to have an impact on how they're applief.

• Yeah ", not supposed to" !!

• I can understand they aren't supposed to but surely it would be impossible to help the other person. And leaving someone you love to die in front of you. ...

• Yeah I agree!, Thanks 👍

• I would make a compress out of my shirt to control his bleeding and attemp to do what I can to comfort her even if I can't save her , she should be made as comfortable as possible

• Emotions would probably take over and so I went with A). I would not realize that the other person is so easily saveable, I am NOT a doctor.

• Objectively, I'm supposed to save the lover, and I think that'd be my choice.
    Could I handle letting a loved one die even if they betrayed me? Could I make that choice if I'm actually put in that situation? Could I live with myself either way?
    I don't know.
    As a doctor, who knows? I might just find out.

• I would do everything to save her, the best punishment is to let her live with the guilt, move on, and show her that you're better than her.

• If I were a paramedic in my county, it really wouldn't be an issue as each unit is always manned by two people. Plus the nearest fire station always responds, too, and are usually on scene before EMS.

• Every ambulance in the US is manned by at LEAST two people. Sometimes more.
      For the sake of the hypothetical though, imagine you're at the scene of a larger accident and your brethren are occupied

• Well, FYI, in my county, the fast response units always respond in conjunction with a transport unit. It was just unusual that these two responded so close together. They usually are dispatched from different stations. Supervisor units respond to major incidents where two or more transport units are called out. And fire units respond to all of the above.

• It's hyperthetical

• I'd let the both of them die, to be honest. 2 cheaters not even 1 stone but 0 stones. Perfect!

• Who am I to reverse Karma?

• pull out the popcorn and beer.

• Save the lover. It's my job, my emotions don't belong in this process. Since EMT's usually have partners, I'd tell my partner to do what he could for my wife.

• It is guided by reason

What Girls Said 1

• Agh, I guess I'd try to save my spoude. I think he'd need more work and help if he has any chance of pulling through.