I might be moving to an apartment in September, when should I start looking?

I'm going to be moving out at the end of the summer for school and I am thinking about moving to an apartment a province away from where I am now. I've obviously have never moved without my parents before so this is kinda foreign to me. I'm wondering how close to the date of the move should I be looking at apartments and contacting the people I'll be renting from.

Most Helpful Girl

• I work in a leasing office right now for two apartments in my city.
    You want to start looking now just to get an idea about pricing and what everything will cost you. If you look too late you could be unprepared with a lot of expenses. As about application fees, reservation fees, and deposits. Also ask about what they look at when qualifying applicants.
    Also check crime reports from the local police offices. Help narrow down safe neighborhoods.
    About a month prior to your move in date start contacting the properties that you liked the most. You will be able to get a quote on the place and you might get some move in or summer specials.
    Now you have your apartment, lease signed and dues paid. The first thing you want to do is take pictures of EVERY INCH OF THE APARTMENT before you move anything in. Also make sure to mark everything on the move in sheet and get a copy of it and the lease.
    With the pictures make sure you use a disposable camera and get them developed at a place that will show the time and date stamps on it. Just in case, it is better to document everything than to get screwed over. That's what happened in the last place I rented because neither my husband nor I knew to do any of this yet. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to post stuff as I remember more.
    Congratulations!

• Thanks so much!

• Not yet but I'll be sure to give you a message if we do :)

• Sounds good. Best of luck!

What Guys Said 9

• Start looking now, I'd start contacting people pretty soon. The more you look at the better you'll know what to look for. Many places dont have immediate possesion dates, so it'd be best to have something lined up by July or August.

• Start looking now.

• If I'm looking now does that mean I should be contacting the people who own the apartment building as well or just looking to see what's out there?

• Just to familiarize yourself with the market.

• 6 months prior or so especially if you're picky about where you live.

• You could start looking now, if you see anything interesting you just write an email with the date you were planning to move in. Just wait for the answer then. Maybe u get discount like u do when u pre order flight/hotel bookings.

• Whenever you have first and last in your bank account, and a job to pay the monthly rent.

• The sooner you start looking the better

• I looked for an apartment for six months back then and I was kinda stressed out. Better start looking now.

• In the Boston area, the right time to start looking would be about March or April.

• April or May at the latest.

What Girls Said 7

• Just to be safe, I'd start looking now or within the next couple of months. Most places need at least a month or two for you to be able to move in. This way, you'll be able to familiarize yourself with the area, see what you like and what you don't, and get yourself set up ahead of time without worrying about waiting until the last minute.

• Im moving out next month to a completely new country and I still don't have a place because I've been searching since November and you realise landlords are dicks who don't like to answer to people 😂😂

• um, what are you going to do if you don't find a place to live by then?
      That's terrifying. I'd be in panic mode haha

• @Mekkalyn I am in panic mode. My body is so stressed it legit has hormone imbalance
      I'll just hopefully hear from someone

• Oh gosh. Good luck!
      I hope it works out for you

• I would start looking now. I would see what is out there and compare the amenities to prices to different provinces. Get into contact with some agents and see what is available with you. It will be easier for you if you had a real estate agent. Most importantly.. Have a budget

• Wow... Congrats on your big decision! I don't have any advice! Just wishing you luck!

• You should start looking now but definitely no later than the next few months. You will familiarize yourself with the market, landlords never fully answer your questions, and plans have a way of falling through.

• Will you be able to afford it by yourself? And you'll have to buy furniture if it';s not furnished... You could rent a room from someone's house instead, since everything will be included in the room already, usually.

• I'd have a roommate and and I have the majority of furniture already

• Definitely now