GAGers, have you ever not tipped a waiter/waitress?

And why, at that particular time, did you feel that waiter deserved to wait on you for free?

Just curious.

Most Helpful Guy

• The only time I don't tip is when the service isn't just bad, it's egregiously bad. The server did something that was outside the realm of "bad day" or "too busy" or something to that effect. They'd have to do something like insult us or something like that.

The fact of the matter is most of the time the server's tips are shared with others in the staff, like the hostess and the bussers. Ok your server was an asshole, why are you punishing the others?

• Bless your heart. Thanks for having a bit of patience. :)

• And please, overtip when your bill is small. You think your server has worked less just because you only wanted $5 item?

• I don't expect it when I have a guest with a small check, but it's certainly appreciated. :) When I go out to eat, I'm known to tip like $5 on a $7 check lol

What Guys Said 22

• I always tip.

worked way too damn long in the industry, I know what it's like to have a shitty day on the job.

• I think I had once when I was much younger. I felt bad about it though afterwards. I've worked in the restaurant industry, mostly cooking/chef, for over 15 years and I know the drill. And I always tip and usually big. I won't even go out to eat if I can't afford to tip. It's just wrong.

• The service has to be stupendously bad. Example: Showed up, waitress told us it was a bit busy so it might take up to half an hour for food to be brought out. Sat down, drinks were brought, ordered appetizers and main courses.

After over an hour, still nothing. Nobody had even come to check on us. Went to the bar, said I was paying for what I'd received (the drinks) and leaving. Waitress came up and said our appetizers were about to come out. I said that was too bad, 'up to half an hour' and 'over an hour' are not the same thing.

I've worked in a restaurant so I know how there can be delays but was downright appalling service.

• I went to a "The Old Spaghetti Factory" with a girlfriend, and the waiter just ignored us. We waited a half hour to get our order taken in a nearly empty restaurant, and he was just plain rude to us (we were both dressed in casual goth attire so I guess we just didn't count). But we did have a good water person, he kept our cups full and kept bringing us bread etc. So after the meal I left a single penny face down on the table and gave the tip to the water person with a message to the waiter "If he complains that we stiffed him, explain that we gave this to you, and do not share it with him"

• I always tip, i think it would just be really fucked up to not tip soneone who pretty much depends on tips to succeed.

• One time this waitress was a bitch and didn't do anything right. I'm so anti-participation-trophies. I almost always tip, but it's like she earned herself a $0 tip.

• In most of Europe the tip is included in the bill.

• I'm mostly referring to US, I'm aware that tipping is less prevalent in other countries. Thanks though!

• Yes, once. The server was obviously very drunk, got everything wrong, was making an ass out of herself to the point where other customers and employees were openly complaining about it. Apparently a manager wasn't on duty. We asked the cashier to get a box for us to take our food home, paid for our food, left, and never went back.

• We don't usually tip here in Australia, but if I can afford it and they did an outstanding job, I'll throw in something extra.

• From Europe here, not really a tipping culture

• i tip them every time, even though it´s not necessary as in germany their income isn´t dependend on tips.

• Yeah, service charge already on the bill and the waiter frankly just looked like a douchebag, he'd only spend the tip on roll-your-own cigarettes.

• I tip cause its obligated but i dont wanna tip. If you want extra money ask your boss like everyone else. Or asded it to the cost like in Europe.

These days everyone expects a tip 😔

• sometimes i don't have small bills to leave, and others i just thought they were rude or so i didn't give them a tip

• If you don't have small bills on you, then either pay with a card or ask your server to break a larger bill for you. Stiffing a server is a really crappy thing to do and you shouldn't do it unless they really deserved it. Then again, who deserves to work for free?

• "They deserve it" Yep, you're a dick. Just saying... Waiters definitely remember which customers don't tip (or tip poorly). Better hope they don't do anything to your food.

• This dude is a punk. People remember non tippers. And yes, we do always get our tip in some fashion or manner ;) It just may not be in the form of money, but we smile when we see you eat.

• Nope, I always tip.

• One, they are paid hourly. Two. I have only not tipped maybe twice in my life. The service was just that bad. It takes a lot for me not to tip. A LOT. I've worked as a waiter for many years.

• What country do you live in where servers are paid hourly?

I mean I get paid hourly but it's only $2.13/hr. Never got a paycheck.

• Only when they are being an ass or smartass on purpose, but aside from that, I always tip

• yeah. a broke ass college student gotta eat!

• I did it once because the guy wouldn't quit staring at my girlfriend's rack...

I literally counted that shit out to the cent. :D

• Yep I have

• I don't tip.

• i never tip. why should i? she is paid by the money that i gave for that job. she doesn't do it for free nor do i buy the shop's product for free.

• If you live in the US, most servers make $2.13/hr which is just about enough to cover taxes. They make their living off tips.

• then the system for waiters is fucked up in th us. in m country its the opposite and almost noone tips.

What Girls Said 14

• Ehh, I usually don't tip because it's not really a thing here in the UK. Obviously we still do and it's nice to do it, but no one's livelihood depends on tips here. All waiters and waitresses get paid at least minimum wage (I think that's £6.50 per hour, or around 10 dollars an hour), so they get a pretty good amount of money by the end of the night. Tips are appreciated because hey, extra money but no one's going to starve or not take any money home with them if they're not given a tip. If I'm in a taxi, it's polite to just round up to the nearest pound rather than give exact change, and the same thing in restaurants, but it's not really considered necessary or like it's something we should do.

• I have never not tipped a server, even if the service was horrible. I've been a server before, and because I know what it's like, and having to depend on tips instead of a regular paycheck, I would feel guilty for not tipping. If it's horrible service, I tip 15%, that's the lowest I go.

• I usually try to tip a waiter/waitress all of the time.
    However, If I am provided with shitty service or a waiter that is un-attentive I don't think they are obligated to anything.
    Tipping someone shows my appreciation to their service.
    I don't feel that is automatic... it is something that is earned.

• You should still tip regardless of the service was bad or not. With few exceptions.

• Even if the servicer made a mistake , they are human , I still tip as long as they are nice and attentive.

• Never tip cause its not in my culture. And also when I lived in China, its basically against the law to tip...

• The only times I haven't tipped were when someone tipped for me or the waitress/waiter provided terrible service.

• Yep, because she was snooty when she did come around and she only came to our table a total of twice the entire time we were there. To take our order, and give us our bill. They weren't busy at all that day, either.

So instead of a tip I just kindly wrote "NO." on the tip line and went on my way.

• That is pretty sucky service. I hate when servers have an attitude. I'm always sweet and friendly to my tables, and I check on them as often as I'm able to, but I make mistakes sometimes and some people are just unforgiving.

• I'll still leave a tip if they're rude or if service wasn't great. Few exceptions when I won't leave a tip. And this is like pretty much never. Some people have unreal expectations and no idea how a restaurant functions.

• If it's shitty service I don't tip, not including busy or understaffed because someone called in (things out of the servers hands) A tip is not obligatory, it's an extra for doing a good job. I'm sick of entitled servers crying about not getting tips. It's not my job to supplement your wage, take that up with your boss. If you want a tip, do a good job and be polite.

• No, I've always tipped waiters and waitresses. I guess I haven't had that bad of an experience.

• No way girl...
    Even if he sucked I always tip

• In certain countries it's seen as offensive or rude to tip in which I don't

• Yes it has happened. The service was terrible it sucked. Basically it was pretty much nonexistent.

• I always do.

• I always tip even if it's only a few dolloars😊

• Of course I have. If I don't like their attitude they get nothing. It isn't a " given" that they get a tip. Giving a tip means you are happy with their service. If I'm not why would I tip them

• Because servers tip out 10% of our sales to hosts and bartenders (as thanks for seating us correctly, assisting with bussing, and making our bar drinks). So if you tip less than 10% then I basically paid to wait on you.

• You have no idea how restaurants work. Tipping isn't subsidizing anything. If servers never were getting tips, the cost of your food would SKY ROCKET. You probably couldn't even afford to eat there. Restaurants have very tight budgets and work with very small profit margins. Labor is usually 30%, food cost 30%, lights, utilities, rent, every other thing. Most owners walk away with 10% or less profit when it's all said and done.

When you don't tip, you have effectively made the person who WAITED on you to pay for your food. That's fucking rude and disgusting.

• I don't provide for a good service it's as simple as that. I'm not obligated to. If they rely on tips they should provide a better service or get a higher paid job. I'm not obligated to pay their way.