Did they teach you Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas in school?

Me and my cousin are from Turkey and even we were taught that in elemenarty school Social Studies, even though in fact he invaded some Carribean islands which he thought was India, enslaved & murdered people who treated him with nothing but kindness, gave out Native women as ''gifts'' and stole everything he could. He described them as cannibals who drink blood.

One of his friends, Michele de Cuneo, wrote:

“While I was in the boat I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral (Columbus) gave to me, and with whom, having taken her into my cabin, she being naked according to their custom, I conceived desire to take pleasure. I wanted to put my desire into execution but she did not want it and treated me with her finger nails in such a manner that I wished I had never begun. But seeing that (to tell you the end of it all), I took a rope and thrashed her well, for which she raised such unheard of screams that you would not have believed your ears. Finally we came to an agreement in such manner that I can tell you that she seemed to have been brought up in a school of harlots.”

Most Helpful Guy

• Christopher Columbus was a nice man with only three fingers, who discovered America. He had three boats and he was really swell to everybody. An Indian Chief named Bill wrote: "Yeah, I knew Chistopher Columbus very well. He pooped chocolate coins and made us big spaghetti dinners every night. Righteous dude!" Hard to argue with that.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 8

• They taught me he was the hero, discovering new land.
    They didn't say anything about him slaughtering the locals

• No I was educated in New York in public schools and they taught us that although Columbus "discovered" Hispanola and the West Indies, the Vikings had probably landed in the Americas long before that. We also learned that he wasn't exactly the nicest guy and we learned all about the murder and disease he and his men brought with them. We also talked about why for so many years people considered him the great discoverer. So I think at this point it's pretty basic knowledge and that its taught in public schools around the world

• It's FAR from that. Kudos to the New York public education system.

• Yes, it was the 70's

• WTF? ? ?

• Well the conquistadors history is very similar to Turkeys.

• yes, they do.

• Nobody really knows who discovered America, it's just they credit him with it, why, I don't know

• One thing to be aware of. Columbus was granted enormously valuable concessions from the Spanish crown because they didn't expect anything valuable to be there. When the real value of these concessions became known the crown greatly regretted giving them and were desperate to find grounds to rescind them. This is when the complaints about Columbus began to surface from courtiers and indeed Columbus was jailed and the deals were reneged on.

My point is not that Columbus was a great guy, only that you can't believe the stuff written against him either because at the time there were people who stood to gain from portraying him as bad as possible, who had the backing of royalty to do so.

What Girls Said 0