Do you think it's wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

• Yes it's wrong
  • No it's fine

Most Helpful Guy

• Me and my ex had our first big fight when our daughter was born over this. She wanted it done and I told her to fuck off. Mutilating a baby! No fucking danger. Not in front of me. I won. She's 10 now and still no piercings

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I think it's wrong to do that to a baby.

It's a bit different when the child is older and has a bit more of a say. I understand people have cultural reasons and it means the baby doesn't remember it, but I still think a child should have a say. I didn't have mine done until I was 16/17 and it meant I could choose. My parents strongly didn't want me to do it.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, it should be illegal. The same goes for circumcision, tattooing and any other medically unnecessary surgery.

• I don't think it's wrong, after all, the hole will close if not used, so it's not an irreversible procedure. It's also less painful when newborn than when they're older.

• It's the same level of pain if not more - babies have more exposed nerve endings. The only thing is that when you do such a procedure before long term memory develops, the child won't remember the pain.

• Speaking from experience, if you get your ears pierced and wear earrings for about a year, the hole will not close up. So 99% of the time it is irreversible, because these babies' moms will make sure they use earrings regularly.

• That is like SO freaking wrong and tasteless.

• To be consistent, if you believe it's wrong to circumcise your infant son then it's wrong to pierce your kid's ears. Both take normal anatomy and make it abnormal.

• I wouldn't call it wrong. But if I had a daughter I would want to wait until she's older to get her ears pierced, so she can decide if she wants them pierced or not

• i think a piercing doesn´t do harm and if you take it out, it will heal up... so no big deal.

• I think it depends on the sex of the child, as well as the traditions of the society in which the child grows.

• Culturally, it's acceptable to many. It's unnecessary, but there are a lot of human things that are.

• I'd say it's wrong, she isn't even able to decide wether or not she'd want it

• Absolutely.

• At what age do you think they should be allowed?

• At the age where the kid is capable of understanding what is happening and actually wants it themselves.

• How old before you really know though? 10? 16?

• it's cruel.

• Why? Don't most girls get theirs done anyway?

• @Takada How? I don't know a single girl who hasn't wanted hers pierced (unless they were afraid of the pain). Not saying I'd do it to my own baby though

• baby has no choice in the matter. not "presumptuous".

What Girls Said 16

• Only if the baby is a boy, I'd rather him be a certain age to make that decision himself.
    Now if the baby is a girl, I think it's fine.
    Its a pain they will not remember ( I don't ever remember getting my ears pierced because I was under 1). And it will be over before the baby even knows it.
    They'll never remember the pain and they will not be traumatized (even though that is harsh for a little baby to handle).

• Its almost like a baby getting a shot. It's 1, 2, 3, and over!

• Seems traumatic at first... but the baby is off playing around and seems to have forgotten about it already.

• No... My ears were pierced as a baby and I'm glad that I had them pierced at that age. It's normal in my culture.

• It's wrong. It's a purely cosmetic procedure, so it's completely unnecessary. It's done on children who can't even choose whether they want it or not. It's also sexist, because it's only done on little girls, which assumes all girls want earrings. It's purely done by parents who want their kids to look fashionable. Get them some fancy clothes, don't pierce their skin ffs!

• Yeah, their ears aren't fully grown yet so the earring can end up slightly off centre when they grow up... I got mine done at 10 and they're perfect but my friend got them done when she was 2 and they're completely off centre

• Can't you let them close up and repierce them though?

• They won't close up if you've had earrings in for years

• quite the opposite it s better cause they feel less pain at that age if nthng at all.
    that s what my mum did to me anw

• My parents always sell let the kid decide when they're older. I evem still have friends my age who don't have their ears pierced (girls)
    I mean I got mine at 12 years old and was scared
    Now look at me 😂 damn ring in my nose 😉

• I don't think so.
    It can heal pretty easily and you don't have to pierce it later in your life if you want to wear earrings.

• I personally wouldn't do that..

• I think you should wait until the child is old enough to make the choice, really. That's what my parents did with me.

Well, technically, my aunt took me without my mom's knowledge or permission because I wanted my ears pierced (I was about 4). My mom is still mad at her about it.

• So you don't think 4 was old enough?

• I haven't let them grow over. I don't remember the pain either. My mom was pissed - she had wanted to wait a few more years.

• If you're set on having your baby's ears pierced, it's probably safer to ask your child's doctor to do it for you with a needle.

• Serves no purpose so yeah

• It is wrong. I don't think anyone has the right to pierce someone who can't give consent.

• It's fine for a baby girl to get her ears pierced for cute earrings.

• i've never thought about that but yes it's not right

• Mine were pierced as a baby and I'm glad they were bc I don't get to remember it lol

• I got mine done at 3 and I think it was perfect. I don't remember but I was old enough to have it explained to me and decide for myself 👍

• I found out a couple of years ago that this topic has a lot to with culture. Some cultures hate on mothers who pierce their babies' ears, others, like mine, baby girls' ears are pierced by a doctor in the hospital just a few days after their birth.