For those that have panic attacks, how do you cope with it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't had many panic attacks in my life, maybe a couple. I do have anxiety attacks from time to time but I don't really know if they're the same? Anyway, for me it really helps to sit down, try to control my breathing and to eventually drink some water. Only a little, maybe a teaspoon or two at a time, preferably ice cold water. I don't know why it helps but it does.

What Guys Said 3

• It depends on what kind of panic attack, I do different things depending on what the circumstances are. One good trick is to breathe slowly in, and then breathe out slowly for more than 3 seconds. Count out the seconds. It's a way of tricking your brain into calming down. Otherwise, try thinking of the person or thing that makes you happiest. Imagine yourself being okay, and absorbing that person into your own self

• I'd like to know myself. My panic attacks have been getting worse lately.

• I don't get panic attacks, but my social anxiety can be really bad. It's more annoying in a way because I feel like you have to have a panic attack before people take it seriously. I still feel like my anxiety is high.

I think they usually treat panic attacks with things like valium, though it's not a good idea to take it for long.

• I don't want to take meds, I don't think they work.

• Valum (diazepam) defintely works and it works quickly, usually within an hour, so you can take it on an as needed basis. It's actually on the list of meds that is essential for any health care system- that's usually a sign that something pretty much works 100%

I don't like meds either, but for a different reason, since valium isn't a good one to be on for long as it can be addictive, but yeah it majorly works and a high dose can stop your anxiety dead, believe me and it can be a lifesaver if you're going through a bad patch- you can take it on an as needed basis since it works so fast.

I feel the same way as you about anti-depressants though. Tried those too and they're garbage, none of them work for me, and you have to be taking them for weeks before they're supposed to make a difference and still they didn't work.

What Girls Said 5

• Usually it helps to get my mind off the actual thing thats making me have a panic attack, breathe and try to relax.

• CBT and mindfulness exercises help a lot. Reducing your baseline level of anxiety is also useful. You can do this with exercise, yoga, meditation, etc.

• I usually have a stress ball in my pocket that I use to help me breathe. I breathe in and squeeze the stress ball as I breathe out, pushing all of the tension and fear into it. I repeat this until I can breathe normally.
    Before i had a stress ball, it was a lot harder. I used to wear scarfs a lot and ended up twisting them around my neck and leaving horrible marks, or digging my nails into my palms. I find the stress ball really helpful, and it even has a smiley face on it 😊

• Deep breaths
    Stab my fingernails into the palm of my hand
    Remove myself from what ever is causing the panic attack (if im able to)

• I used to suffer from debilitating panic attacks. I used to suffer from extreme hyperventilation and " distancing" . I did go to my GP but she wasn't very helpful. I was determined to fight them, because I used to have them everyday. Day and night

I turned to self-help I bought a great book called " Panic Attacks " by Christine Ingham. I struggled to battle them but motivation and perseverance paid off. I used the technique of distraction at first and gradually I no longer need that. I have been panic attack free for 4 years now. During times of stress I can feel the start of one but I recognise the first symptoms and I control it so it doesn't become a full-blown panic attack.