Do you believe a cure for cancer would actually be a good thing? or bad for the planet?

most cancer patients are elderly. it's really just another natural form of the body preparing for death. what's the point and prolonging life at that point? I can understand treatment to help them feel better, or even to prolong life for young people who get cancer, but it seems pointless in anyone over 60 to me. most the treatments actually make them feel worse. plus, realistically we're already over populated, imagine what would happen if a cure was found or manufactured.

• yes, a cure would be good
  • no, a cure would not be a good thing
no women have opinions on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nice thought in theory, but in reality the world needs disease and death to keep population in check. We're already too far removed from nature for our own good.

Most Helpful Girl

• "It seems pointless in anyone over 60."
    Wtf? My parents are in their 50's and will be 60 in a few years. I'm not ready to see them die yet, especially not from something as horrible and painful as cancer. Healthy 60 year olds could still live up to 30 years, which would be the length of YOUR ENTIRE CURRENT LIFE. Think about that for a moment before saying 60 year olds "can't live a fulfilling life" past 60. ~8 million people die from cancer each year so it's not as if it would make a global difference to the population anytime soon. Effective birth control methods should be introduced in third world countries instead and preferably we would take action to fight the stigma surrounding them too (such as religions being against BC). in my opinion that would be a lot more effective way to slowly stopping overpopulating the planet instead of letting people suffering from cancer just die off. Wtf dude.

• where did I say let's kill anyone over 60? I said trying to cure cancer over that age is pointless.

• FYI: third world countries aren't the cause of over population. while they have a higher rate of pregnancies, they also have a much higher rate of instant and mother deaths. it's the developed world that contributes to over population.

• Lots of third world countries have a hell of a lot of people though. Like India, being the second most populated country in the world with over 1 billion people, very close to China (albeit China is a second world country). Indonesia, a lot of African countries, the list goes on. All at the top of the most populated countries on earth, all in third world countries, despite the high death rate. All of which are pretty much lacking in the BC department.

What Guys Said 18

• "It seems pointless in anyone over 60." Please post an update on your feelings about this subject when you are 59 years old.

• hahahahahhaa!

• Reminds me of a quote from Dumb and Dumber.

"Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back. Don't you go dying on me." ;)

• Most 60 year olds are not being taken care of by others. Most 60 years olds are working and being productive and if you think otherwise, you are woefully ignorant of the facts.

Re-read what I wrote, because you apparently did not understand: I was not seriously suggesting withholding medical care from people on welfare. Duh!

• Of course, assuming that there is a reasonably safe cure for ALL cancer (as cancer does different things in different ways), I think that would be a good thing. Yes, for 60 and 70 year olds.

There's a certain level of balance, I think. There are many more diseases other than cancer. It's just a common one that can attack in many different ways and you can get varying types in a lot of ways.

Cure most forms of cancer, there may be a Super-Uber-Mega Cancer that'll pop up in 20 years. There will be Aids, Alzheimers, MS, etc. People will get something else. You can't get past diseases fast enough, because there will be new ways of getting diseases.

• I'm with @OlderAndWiser 's viewpoint. I would agree that older people are not as productive but I don't think you would agree in a few years from now. I think we will always feel productive in a personal level and in our community, even though we aren't really pushing forward on the workforce, generally speaking.

Also, we have families and God knows we want them to stay with us as long as we can. Sentimentalism is not really a good argument, I know, but it's quite... there, in this case.

Speaking of which, it is quite insensitive stating this since there's also no actual lifestyle that would prevent any form of cancer to develop in your body. You're quite wrong there. And there are much younger people battling cancer too.

A good example would be Andy Whitfield (from Spartacus) who died of lymphoma. Proof that having a healthy lifestyle and training doesn't save you for anything really.

And yes, control population does sound like a much better option for me. Having less births would be a win win situation for many reasons.

• My 87 year old grandmother didn't feel old even before she died. My God my parents don't practically feel older than me and they are in their 60's.

ANYWAYS, screw that, it's not the cure for cancer that people have to worry about, IT'S THE CAUSE OF CANCER!!! You dont need to cure something you don't end up getting.

• I want less people, lower birth rate and longer lives. I think it would be cool if we could be 80 but still have the youthfulness of a 20 year old. Probably won't happen tho :/

• it can happen. eat right, exercise, don't over indulge in drugs/alcohol. biologically speaking, it isn't even natural to live really long. people should just accept that.

• I think it's a good thing. It poses problems but all advancements in human history have. If humanity stopped progressing and trying to push the boundaries because it might cause problems, we'd still be in huts in Mesoptamia.

• the world would be a better place if we still were.

• I disagree. What's the point of life if not evolution and change? Even if there were just no humans some other creatures would evolve adn start killing each other (e. g. dinosaurs). The earth would be safe if it was still a rock but it has life so things are going to change. It has suffered it's share of apocalyses without our intervention anyway.

• we need a lower population but you can do that through lowering the birth rate , which can be done more easily than you think. More people dying isn't a good thing. This is a silly idea and one that's pretty offensive to anyone who has lost a family member to cancer. Think it through.

• https://i.imgur.com/fn4V0wOh.jpg

At 62, J. R. R. Tolkien published the first volume of his fantasy series, "Lord of the Rings."
    At 75, cancer survivor Barbara Hillary became one of the oldest people, and the first black woman, to reach the North Pole.
    At 85, Theodor Mommsen became the oldest person to receive a Nobel Prize in Literature.

• If I were over 60 and had cancer, I'd want a cure. Yes, it'd be good.

• You sound like someone who would get cancer and then go to Asia to ingest powdered rhinoceros horn.

• yes a cure would be good, if you have ever had a family member die because of cancer you would agree no one should die that way

• I've had family members survive cancer.

I'm guessing the ones you experienced dying went through chemo or radiation? which actually makes them sicker and has a high failure rate.

• cancer isn't comfortable

• no, but it can be made comfortable for them. treatment is much worse. and a cure would bring new issues. I just think it's smarter overall to make than feel better, try to entertain them, and let them go.

• I think it would be a good thing. But patients have the choice of they want the cure or not, so like you said if they were elderly and didn't want to prolong life, then they wouldn't have to

• actually when they're older their kids can force them to get treatment.

• if they're really elderly to the point of where they can't even walk anymore and then they probably aren't going to live many years anyway, even if they got the cure.
      you're kinda acting like people over 60 are old and useless and if they get sick then they or nobody else would care. Like "fuck it, let them die"

• ok, 60 might have been too young. let's say 70. most people get cancer around 70. and I'm not saying no one cares about them. I'm saying they're already old. a lot of older people don't even want treatment, they're forced into it. at that age why bother. why not just focus on keeping them comfortable and happy. goi g nuts go add on a few more years is silly.

• There are cures. Cancer 'treatment' is a billion dollar industry and that's why the curs are not widely available.

• in you g people, its actually completely preventable. yound people get it from the chemicals in their foods, in the air, skincare, etc. and many people do actually cure it naturally through nutrition and lifestyle changes. but I mean if that same industry actually made a pill or whatever, or even just told the truth and help prevent and cure it naturally, would it truly benefit the world in any way?

• I do. you don't think there's too many people?

• To many people for what? There are enough resources for everyone and then some.

• I'd like to think so. I hate seeing people - especially kids - dying so young.

• Objectively, no, it's not a good thing.

• I'm speechless and rarely do I agree so strongly with older and wiser. Cancer is not an indicater of age.

• I never claims d it to be, but naturally, most people who get cancer are old.

• my attitude isn't atrocious. I'm not suggesting you gas them. I'm saying accept it when their old and let them go. adding a few years on isn't such a great thing

• Balogney. If I didn't see you have been on here a while I would assume you are trolling. Leave me be please.

• Family Guy once did an episode on this. You should watch it

• It would be better for society to lower the birth rate and raise the active elderly rate. It takes 18 to 26 years of investment to make a productive adult and then you only get about 40 years of work out of them so basically one year of investment for two of productivity. Imagine how much wealthier society would be if it were three to one?

• I think the elderly deserve to rest. there's actually too many old, tired, slower thinking, not with the times old people in jobs that should retire and have their jobs passed on to the many qualified graduates currently unable to find work.

• do you have any links to back that up?

• Just Google 'productivity of elderly' there are reams of stuff. In some areas some studies show some decline, others disagree. One thing for sure is it doesn't amount to much except in the area of physical strength. As I said, nothing to compare to the value of a longer working life.

It's very simple if you buy a car and it lasts 150,000 miles versus 100,000 miles, even if it doesn't perform quite as well, your cost per mile is much less. You get more productivity out of your initial investment, more wealth is generated.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm not sure that cancer is all that effective at population control the same way that the plagues or other health disasters were. Some other means of population control will be necessary - like education for women (which naturally increases the age a woman has her first child) and comprehensive sex education for everyone (which informs people of effective contraceptive methods).

• Your argument is invalid. There is already a cure for cancer. The Sour Sop or the fruit from the graviola tree is a miraculous natural cancer cell killer 10,000 times stronger than Chemo.
    www.hoax-slayer.com/images/sour-sop-cancer.jpg

• soursop can prevent and maybe cure breast cancer. I've never read anything about it helping any others.

and damn! now you have me craving some! I haven't had any in years. I actually snuck some seeds back, I wonder if their still viable. (:

• I don't understand why so many people on here are advocating killing babies. I do agree with better birth control though, preventing pregnancies not termi ating.

• Its not killing a baby. The fetus has no idea what is happening to it. I don't think the fetus even has a brain. And if abortion is murder what about miscarriages? Are you accusing mothers who have had a miscarriage of murder? Why do you advocate against senior citizens not getting cancer treatment? While you are not killing them, you aren't saving them.

• The amount of young women being diagnosed with cancer has severely gone up. I know about 4 people who got cancer and they at the time where my age 21 or younger. Their is already a cure for cancer , it's just science doesn't want you to have it. Many people die from chemo and radiation, my besties mother in law dies from one treatment just one she died a week after her first treatment from complications. Second, would you feel that way about people with HIV who get it from being irresponsible?

• true. most younger people that are getting cancer nowadays is from pollution and over use of chemicals in just about everything.

many people who get HIV in other parts of the world get it because of reusing needles in medical settings. that's more the fault of people from other countries donating vacines but not enough clean syringes. and as I said up top, cancer is naturally one of things that prepare the body for death in old age. it isn't normal in younger people. years ago it was extremely rare in younger people.

• But the amount of people young and old who get cancer isn't normal. and yea if we are talking Africa, the amount of people who get HIV, the origins of it is debatable. But the western world has a ridiculous growing numbers, because men aren't up front with their Sexuality and both sexes aren't being safe.

• Where did you get your facts from? Many young people including small children get & die of cancer.

• if the treatment didn't screw you up so badly like chemo does
    also, old peoples lives matter