What does space smell like what's it's scent?

I've never been into outer space and I am wondering what it would smell like.

0|0
5|9

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing? You would need air in order to smell anything but space consists mostly of vacuum so...

0|2
    0|0
    • So it smells like vaccum?

• Vacuum doesn't smell like anything. You need air to be able to smell stuff? Come on dude. Basic science. Are you just trolling or something? Lol

Most Helpful Guy

• There is no air.

And the vaccuum would make your nose explode.

0|1
    0|0
    • Omg high five for basically saying the same thing at the same time.

• Show All
    • @lumos sure. Technically speaking once the air you already had in your lungs is out, you can breathe in just fine. What kills you in vacuum isn't the absence of air, its the pressure difference between outside and inside your body.

• @lumos
      And medonfielde

If a tree falls when no one is around does it make a noise? our Lack of ability to smell outer space doesn't mean there is no smell

What Girls Said 4

• Oh, you've never been in space? I'm so sorry for you! You must be so under privileged!

Well, because I'm a nice person I'll tell you. It smells like rosemary and poppy seeds. Now you know, you can go on living your life free of your space smelling ignorance.

0|2
    0|0
  • Like dusty rocks?

0|1
    0|0
  • Lemons of course :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Astronauts claim it has a distinct smell, not something totally recognizable but somewhat like searing steak or hot metal. It's a distinct smell when they removed their helmets from a space walk.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• here's an article that I find online.

The final frontier smells a lot like a Nascar race—a bouquet of hot metal, diesel fumes and barbecue. The source? Dying stars, mostly.
    The by-products of all this rampant combustion are smelly compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. These molecules "seem to be all over the universe," says Louis Allamandola, the founder and director of the Astrophysics and Astrochemistry Lab at NASA Ames Research Center. "And they float around forever," appearing in comets, meteors and space dust. These hydrocarbons have even been shortlisted for the basis of the earliest forms of life on Earth. Not surprisingly, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons can be found in coal, oil and even food.
    Though a pure, unadulterated whiff of outer space is impossible for humans (it's a vacuum after all; we would die if we tried), when astronauts are outside the ISS, space-borne compounds adhere to their suits and hitch a ride back into the station. Astronauts have reported smelling "burned" or "fried" steak after a space walk, and they aren't just dreaming of a home-cooked meal.
    The smell of space is so distinct that, three years ago, NASA reached out to Steven Pearce of the fragrance maker Omega Ingredients to re-create the odor for its training simulations. "Recently we did the smell of the moon," Pearce says. "Astronauts compared it to spent gunpowder."
    Allamandola explains that our solar system is particularly pungent because it is rich in carbon and low in oxygen, and "just like a car, if you starve it of oxygen you start to see black soot and get a foul smell." Oxygen-rich stars, however, have aromas reminiscent of a charcoal grill. Once you leave our galaxy, the smells can get really interesting. In dark pockets of the universe, molecular clouds full of tiny dust particles host a veritable smorgasbord of odors, from wafts of sweet sugar to the rotten-egg stench of sulfur.

0|1
    0|0
  • It wouldn't have a smell because there's no air. Air is the medium in which smells are carried. And you wouldn't be outside the space capsule or station without a full body compression suit and helmet anyway, 'cause you couldn't live without it.

0|1
    0|0
  • it doesn't have one

0|1
    0|0
  • Radiation, radiation never changes

0|1
    0|0
  • It smells like metal apparently.

0|1
    0|0
  • In space, nobody can hear, or smell, you fart

0|0
    0|0
  • nothing space has no smell unless something is in it with a smell.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sun farts?

1|2
    0|0