Quiet/Introverted people: Have they ever mistaken you for being stuck up?

I'm a quiet person when I'm around people I don't know, and I've been labelled stuck up too many times, which is completely not true. I know that many times some people don't approach me cause they believe I'm stuck up.

Has this ever happened to other quiet or introverted people?

• Yes
  • No
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure but worse is when they think you're some lost little lamb that needs to be herded along with the flock and they are the shepherd to spring you from your cocoon into some social butterfly. As an introverted, I make a few casual/short exchanges but that's it. Approach me or don't approach, I don't care but you shouldn't assume I'm some antisocial asshole any more than you should take me for some shy mousey bookworm. I'm just a regular guy that spends more time thinking than talking.

What Girls Said 26

• Yes, I've had a lot of people assume that about me actually. I'm just naturally somewhat quiet unless I'm close to the person. I act different around my family and close friends than I do around strangers or people I don't know well. It's not because I think I'm better than anyone though, I just get shy and I'm not exactly the "social butterfly" type.

• Same here. One time in HS a girl told me she thought I was a stuck up jerk when she first saw me, then she completely changed her opinion of me xD
      So much for a good first impression hahaha

• haha! Yes, I've had people tell me that before too. Lol I'm not sure why being quiet makes people think someone is stuck-up or a bitch/jerk. Some people are just less talkative than others. That's why I try not to make assumptions about people, at least until I get a chance to know them better :)

• Yes, all the freaking time. That's why it's hard for me to make friends, people put labels on me before even getting to know me.

• When I was introverted I was told people thought I was stuck up and snobby.
    Now as an extrovert I was told people thought I was full of myself.

I can't win.

• Hahaha people will always judge you negatively, no matter what, so screw them :P

• true but I am none of those haha
      I hate myself and am very loving/accepting of others. xD
      I'm just loud, opinionated and annoying lol

• Eh... I guess so.! I find it hard to believe that they do. I just go with... So if they think I am stuck up I play the part! Its fun that way!

• Yes during my families Christmas party, a couple hours into the party I snuck away somewhere quiet so I could read a book and my sister yelled at me and said avoiding people who are your own family is rude. I could not help it. I love all them but after a while, I get tired of being around people and just want to love them from afar.

• I was always the new girl, and I'm an introvert. At first, some people thought I was cold or stuck up. But after a few days and actually getting to know me, they didn't think that any more. Or at least didn't say that to my face, just the "i was wrong about you, you aren't cold hearted" or something like that.

• All the time. :-/ Usually those people who are tok quick to judge will come back and apologize, which is great!

• I feel like people must hate me half the time, once my guy friend complimented me in front of a few other people and I just looked at him all confused. I knew I should've said thanks but those other people were there and looking at me so I was like frozen. In hindsight that must've looked reaallyyyy bad.

• So what if they think that? XD

Just approach to make them know you're human 😂

• No but people mistake me for being shy and fragile since, I'm petite and I look pretty young for my age and it pisses me off because I have to give daily reminders to these people, being quiet =/= being shy. Ffs.

• Introvert as well. I don't smile too much at people I don't know, and honestly, I don't talk to them. When someone knows me, I feel more at ease with that person and totally open up and become someone totally different. Many of my friends have told me they thought, at first, that I was a stuck up bitch. I can't blame them, though. And seriously, I don't even know how to be different.

• I am usually very talkative but when I am a bit shy sometimes. In that case I have been labeled snobby.

• yes, actually :/ I'm actually extremely shy in real life but Im Spanish and most of my family is like really loud and not quiet at all so being quiet is definitely not the usual, especially not shyness! obviously my parents are used to it but people think I'm rude when i go visit my parent's friends because I'm not totally outgoing and one time, this old lady was like "you should stop being so quiet because some people are even starting tot think that you're too proud" and i was like wtff?

• Damn, like if it's wrong to be YOU and prefer to be quiet. You should have smacked that "lady" in the face -_-
      xD

• You are quiet and introverted? Yeah, right :P

• With people I don't know, yes, but with those I do, I'm the opposite :P

• Good, that's what I like to hear, I was already worried that you are too shy ;)

• GIRL, this story hits way too close to home. This has been told to me several times and I was not too pleased with this observation. Although , I am so engrossed in my habit I will not change now 😜

• YES! People also think im shy.

I'm not shy. Often times I prefer to listen and observe if I have nothing to say. And I avoid small talk conversation when they're boring af

• Yes. Stuck up or mean. I always get one of the two.

• I don't think so... they may have thought that, but no one said anything to me. I'm not that shy though.

• aside to being introverted, this is also due to having my "bitch face" as my "default / resting face"

• I've lost count, it happens every time I meet some new people. people that I'm close too know that I'm not stuck up or anything.

• I think many people do find me like that

• I've been called bitch simply because I don't smile and am shy too make conversation.

A teacher even told me I have a chip on my shoulder

• Yeah I've been told by people they thought that at first

• A few times in middle school; not really though.

• Omg story of my life!!!

• Yes people have

What Guys Said 10

• Ironic thing. When I'm quiet, I get confused for being stuck up--or, people assume other bad things about me. If someone can't figure someone out, they tend to default make a assumptions then tell other people those assumptions which those other people then believe. It's like they have to know what kind of person you are.

It might help you to declare your personality in front of people who don't know you very well. Then they will have an assumption to latch on to, instead of forming their own out of fear or distrust or anxiety or just general dislike.

However, whenever I'm especially caffeine-intoxicated, mimicking extroversion, people think I'm an arrogant asshole. So, I can't win. Even when I'm just being all puppyish and hyper and crazy. Like, dammit.

• I have. I'm usually very quiet and observant with people I don't know. It's kind of conscious because what I do basically is observe to get the most I can of their personality traits. I'm very wary when meeting new people and I won't be open around them unless I have a pretty decent concept of them and feel I can trust them to some extent.

Of course, because of this I'm often considered a stuck up asshole, specially since I'm very well spoken in social conventions. And this thing betrays people I generally know I won't get along with, because people who rely on first impressions generally won't match my personality and interests.

• I'm very observant too. People you don't care but you're actually soaking all in, and you end up knowing the other person more than their actual friend.
      They don't know what they're missing :P

• haha I like that perspective, grab your popcorn and watch. Sometimes you see more of others friendships from the outside than from the inside. :D

• Yeah I know what you are talking about - I am a bit different, I am more in my own world rather than introverted/shy but some people mistook it for being aloof.

• Sure, lots of times, most people think that all introverts are "stuck up".

• Yup, thats why im stuck up:P
    But seriously yeah i imagine people mistake me for being aloof when i genuinly care i just don't know what to say.

• Yeah, happens all the time.

• Yes all the time man! I'm an introcert too so i can relate to that unfortunately

• More than a few times.

• Yes, in school a lot.

• yes I am very silent and shy.
    People often mistake it