Which is your biggest go to Defense Mechanism?

1. Rationalization - Creating false but plausible excuses to justify unacceptable behavior.

2. Identification - Bolstering self-esteem by forming an imaginary or real alliance with some person or group

3. Displacement - Diverting emotional feelings (usually anger) from their original source to a substitute target.

4. Projection - Attributing one’s own thoughts, feelings, or motives to another.

5. Regression - A reversion to immature patterns of behavior.

6. Reaction Formation -Behaving in a way that is exactly the opposite of one’s true feelings.

7. Repression - Keeping distressing thoughts and feelings buried in the unconscious.

• Rationalization
  • Identification
  • Displacement
  • Projection
  • Regression
  • Reaction Formation
  • Repression

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• reaction formation and splitting (which is not an option here) for sure. i am working on getting better though because it was causing problems with communicating in relationships. it's not good lol

• Just leaving, That's a mechanism alright! :P

• "Splitting (also called black and white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole."

• Oh ok, I get it now.

• Certainly my defense mechanism is reaction formation. I have a fear of being weak and want others to see me as having myself together. So, if I don't I still act like do so that I don't get questioned and people see a good face. I guess this is partly repression as well.

• Repression
    Reaction Formation
    Projection

• You must keep a lot bottled up:|

• Yeah. It sucks cause most of my friends don't get it and think I don't like them anymore. It's nice to have one person who understands and is willing to work with me and not just drop me when I'm down.

• Yeah, That can make all the difference in the world.

• Repression for me and sometimes identification.

• Displacement and projection. I've created a mess :(

• My boyfriends defence mechanism is a rifle lol

What Guys Said 9

• The purpose of the frontal lobe is largely rationalizing things. Literally almost every human rationalizes more than anything. /the Neurologist and logic-lover Steven Novella. Some of his stuff on youtube is excellent.

I think most of these are situational. But the entire job of the frontal lobe is basically rationalizing things that the more primitive parts of your brain want you to do. You recognize they are not good things, but then come up with some convoluted excuse as to why, as Dr. Novella says, why you should eat the cheesecake instead of not eating the cheesecake. You would think the frontal lobe's biggest job is planning and thinking about shit, but it's mostly just arguing with the more primitive parts of your brain and in a constant battle for control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BcqrKOb1A

• I hope constructive repression - Keep negative emotions underfoot till they are no longer a threat then get rid of them. That said I allow a brief moment of crisis at start then repress the bastards and move on to dealing with the problem.

• Sometimes I do "rationalization" and sometimes "reaction formation".

• Rationalization is the closest one.

• Repression, generally. When tragedy strikes, I go into stoic mode where I completely ignore my emotions and instead try to view everything logically as merely a problem in need of a solution.

• Probably reaction formation or repression. I'm a pretty hard person to understand, I don't even understand myself sometimes because I act whatever way is acceptable at the time, mostly at least

• Repression. I can bury pretty much anything.

• by being honest, about myself and shoving the truth in there face people hate honesty
    thats why women and men lie so much cause honesty hurts, ohhh well if what I say bothers you to bad its the truth most of the time lol

• Repression. I might explode someday. I wonder who will be the person facing that bomb. I want to say sorry in advance.