Is it safe to have cats and a baby?

My flatmate is about to have a little kid and I don't think having a cat around will be a good idea, one of the cats scratches a lot and the other one might scare it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually, yes. The old wives' tale says that a cat will try to smother a baby, but usually animals are very protective of small children.

• That's what I'm worried about

• Baby is more important than a cat.

• If that's your way of thinking, you shouldn't have adopted the cat in the first place. And besides, in 99999 cases out of 100000, there will be no problem with the cat and the baby.

Most Helpful Guy

• my friend has a baby and he got a new cat because they read that having an animal that the baby can interact with is good for a growing environment for the kid.

What Girls Said 1

• I hate this mentality. You don't get rid of animals just because you have a baby, if you're gonna toss them away like trash don't get them in the first place.

• Chill out.

• I'm not, I'm just looking after the baby, you just need to go and look in the mirror before calling people that.

• Animals aren't vicious monsters.

What Guys Said 3

• Cats are indeed more "wild" than dogs, but as with most animals
    they understand what it means to be around kids.

Usually, the baby ends up with a living favourite toy. ^.~

• Yup... have always had a cat... the crap about them suffocating babies is bs. Check the statistics... its like a 0.0000000001 % chance.

• It will be fine as long as the cat can't get in the crib I grew up with cats and dogs and horses and cows running around and I was fine