What would people look for in a husband/wife in the 1950's?

Money? Homely-ness? Social status? Good family?

Let's say there's a girl named Leigh Anne Miller from New Orleans, 21 years old in 1950. Her parents are both from rich families who have well known old businesses. Her dad is of German descent and her mom English. She's 5'5, 110 lbs with pale skin, blue eyes and blond hair. She's known to be smart and witty, supports women's rights but also traditional (would have sex and use birth control but only after marriage.). Goes to church on Sunday but isn't a bible-thumper. Has good taste in fashion. Goes to college to become a nurse.

Would she be considered marriage-able?

Most Helpful Guy

• Birth control didn't exist in the 50's the same way it does now. Goes to church but doesn't believe in God?

-Of course she could fine a husband but I think most oif not all men everywhere would find her strange fo using birth control. They probably wouldn't even understand why. "Is she sick or something?" Having babies was soo normal back then, that people didn't even think about it.

-Back in the 50's the wife supports the Husband. The Husband works and if needed, the wife also. My grandparents had 6 kids including my dad, my grandmother worked as a seamstress if I'm not mistaken. Also of course they have kids and have Christian values.

• Not being a bible-thumper doesn't mean not believing in God. What do you mean by that?

• It was boring to me when teachers were teaching about math, science and social studies. The Holy bible is just abother subject. I never really went to church myself, my dad was/is the teacher.

-As for believing in God... allah is not God. That's for damn sure. lol If you even care to read why... http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/195861

• Gosh. I hate it when people see things from one religious standpoint. Such a Islamophobe when I list Allah among things verious religions worship he immediately leaps on it. You're not worth attention.

What Guys Said 3

• Uhm... sure she would. But I think that part about her supporting women's rights but also being traditional about sex doesn't really go well together. Especially not in a time like the 1950s, where most women were very traditional and the few who weren't tended to be radical lefties, so they would also be very progressive/open-minded about sex. So I'm not sure how realistic this is. The notion of supporting women's rights even if you're just an average Joe (or an average Heather or whatever) is rather new and was mostly created by the counterculture in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In that time, the ideas of women's rights and minority rights started to spread into the wide public. Before that, it was mostly radicals supporting such things.

• I meant it like, she isn't a feminist but agrees that women should have more rights.

• That's the definition of a feminist. What you perhaps hear from the media if you're American and believe to be feminists aren't feminists, those are just stuck-up moral preachers.
      And like I said before, you have to understand the 1950s were a very different time. Not just technologically, also in terms of modes of thinking. In the 1950s, you wouldn't have people like today saying something like "yeah, I guess I support some feminist views but not all". This differentiality didn't exist. Either you belonged to the vast majority of people who were very traditional in their thinking or you supported female rights, in which case you were almost certainly a radical and viewed that way by your environment.

• Well then, make it she was traditional but secretly thought ''them feminists kinda have a point there''

• Why is this a question?

• Why not?

• @sean1234 I prefer to devote my time to helping people with real problems. If your most significant concern is a hypothetical situation that may have occurred 70+ years ago, my attention will be directed elsewhere.

• "She's known to be smart and witty, supports women's rights but also traditional (would have sex and use birth control but only after marriage.)" That is hypocritical.

• I'm not gonna say it isn't. But I know people like that in 2016.

• It is like you want to be assertive in the workforce but submissive at home. Maybe men want to be submissive at home too. @asker

• I don't know. But Leigh's not me, I made her up combining several characters I've seen

What Girls Said 0