What is the difference between "Free me" and "set me free"? And which one do you find more meaningful?

Most Helpful Guy

• Free me is more crude and physical. Like free me from these shackles. Set me free has a more spiritual ring to it. Like you're letting something go rather than helping something get away.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• they are basically the same

• meaningless without context..

r u writing song lyrics? u trying to split from a bf? talk ur way outta jail?

• Nah
      Here's the thing to me free me sounds more general, like for example you can say free me from anything, however set me free only holds for certain things
      So to me free me is more meaningful cause to each his way when it comes to translating and understanding it and it's just general.
      So I was just wondering if others think the same way

• Yeah it's mainly about interpretation
      So which one do you prefer?

• you need to provide a context since the two aren't synonymous.

• In my opinion the word set me free has more thought and meaning behind it

What Girls Said 3

• set me free sounds more meaningful to me. like you're asking a specific person to liberate you.

free me is more... commanding- but feels more general too

• Not a question for a non English native speaker.

@redamulet you're English, you gotta know this

• Argh, they have the same meaning except you'd use set me free if you felt like an authority figure, but tbh they are identical except ones shorter :P

• free me.. free me from what?
    set me free... let me go/move on

• Nothing specific, it's just general