Do you look at grades MOSTLY as smarts or effort?

Some people think grades show how smart you are, others say it shows that you're hardworking and put it in effort.

What do you think?
Pick ONE you think grades mostly show.

• I think grades show how smart you are
  • I think grades show you're hardworking
  • I think grades... (other)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well considering in high school I did literally jack (as in I got home from sports at 5:30, ate dinner at 6 and then played world of warcraft until I went to bed at 10) and still got a 3.3 I would say grades are a test of how smart you are to a point. I was able to skate by without doing anything and still get a 3.3, sometimes I failed classes (I failed junior year physics because I am terrible at physics), but I slept through French class (my parents are French) and got an A every year. Of course when I tried my grade went up, and when I didn't try my grades went back down so I think that grades determine both intelligence and effort. For people like me intelligence sets the bar, at around 3.3, and then if I want to get more then that I have to work hard. Some of my friends were really smart and the bar was set at 3.8 and they did almost as little work as me and still got a 3.8, other people I know (like most of the Asians at our school) would study night and day all day every day and get a 4.0. I dont know if they were smart, or if their excessive studying helped them get a 4.0 but I'd assume it was a bit of both.

Most Helpful Girl

• Grades mean nothing. I am a very smart person, but I don't have the best grades. I'm lazy and I just don't care to put too much effort into things. It doesn't mean I can't do them. I'm just lazy. They show some effort, but you could be smart and not lazy, but just not excel the best. It could be due to a number of reasons. A number is just a number and a letter is just a letter.

• I understand what you're saying but, for instance, when you will go and apply for a job, will they prefer hiring a "smart but lazy person", or a "not so smart but who consistently puts in effort and gets results kind of person"?

It seems most companies prefer the second type. Specially because they can control them.

And when later you say, "if course I was smart enough to have done better - I just didn't bother enough", and people who don't know your real abilities will just look at you blankly. Even though we all know school and grades do not reward intelligence only.

• @dipta True, but for a job, people aren't going to be looking at grades. It's just work ethic. I may be lazy when it comes to my homework, but if I were in the workforce, I wouldn't be lazy because I'd have a different kind of motivation as well as being in a different environment. Yes, when people look at your grades for college or your work ethic for when applying for a position, it's important to do well, but in the end, it doesn't determine your smarts.

What Guys Said 8

• Hahahaha, grades showing how smart you are... good one.

• Some work hard, some are smart and some cheat or have a way of getting good marks by other means.

I don't consider marks to be a measure of intelligence since you could take a hard course and barely pass or take an easy course and ace it.

• All to many courses nowadays are memorization and parroting.

• Grades show your ability to regurgitate information without context.

• Mostly effort.

• I'm in the top 0.01% of students my age. I can get all As and Bs with almost no effort, but there are above average kids that put it a monumental amount of effort and can get better grades than me.

I'd say that at least in 8th grade, where I am at, it is about equal.

• At your age, smarts.

In terms of who goes to grad school, it's more effort driven, since a 'smarts' filter has already been applied at the undergrad level.

• I should maybe caveat this saying it probably depends where on the grade curve we're looking.

For a lot of students it's possible that whether they're getting B's or C's is highly effort driven.

Students getting 90s are probably working hard, but they're also working with IQ, and in some areas, say high school math, smarts alone will put some students into the 90s.

• I think it depends on the lesson. Lessons like history it shows how hardworking you are. Lessons like maths and physics it's a mix of both. Well it depends how hard they are, if it's easy then just hardowork will be enough, but like in the big exams you need to be smart to get good marks (and have studied too)

What Girls Said 7

• Mostly, grades show that yr good at getting good grades.

That sounds like an obnoxious circular definition, but, really, it isn't. It means that you can apprehend a system, figure out the priorities behind what works and what doesn't within that system, and adapt accordingly.

In that sense, grades are a pretty decent predictor of... well, something. LOL

• Agree. Your grades reflect baseline ability to get good grades, +/- the impact of effort.

Ability to get good grades is a type of intelligence, but not the only type.

• I think it depends. Intelligence comes it many forms. Some people are not meant for school and are better at learning on their own.

I've seen it happened. In high school, I had two friends who had great grades. Both their average grade were around 17/20 (that's how the system works here). One would work a little each day and get those results easily.
    The other one spent at least three hours working to get the same results.

• For the usual person - it's effort. For the smarter among them it's all smarts. A bit of effort, of course, but mostly the ability to quickly memorize it and understand it logically.

• I think grades are a waste of time!

• So what you got an all As and than what? Did you learn anything? You didn't master you just memorize what you needed to know!

• It's both. I know people who get high grades with no effort at all, and others who have to put in the effort to get the same high grade.

That's not to say either person is smarter than the other. It simply says that the system is way off.

• Neither. Some have an innate ability to memorize things better, others have a lot of knowledge prior to starting the class, while others have to bust their asses off to get good grades. I see it for what it is, meaningless grades on paper. And while it makes me feel good to get high grades once in a while, it doesn't mean I'm smart. At some tests I've been lucky, others just came more naturally to me, and at others I've had to work day and night to succeed.

• For me it shows how smart I am. I try really hard and I'm still shit at school and hardly passing half of my classes.