Why do men give women their seats on busses?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because women are the more important biological entity to the survival of the human race via reproduction methods. And, because men want to be perceived as willing to sacrifice for females in order to get some booty. In essence, he is saying "Look. I will sacrifice my own comfort for your comfort." In essence, gender roles. The man is to die for women; the man is to sacrifice for women.

I'm not giving up my seat. IDGAF. Welcome to equality. I got the seat first. Standing for 10 minutes really isn't going to kill you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because some boys and men who are raised to be gentleman know that if a woman is standing you should give up your seat. But just as if there is a mother who has a child you give up your seat for her. It's common courtesy and chivalry for men.

• Why 'shouod' a man give up his seat?

• @Applefan1 I live in the Deep South sugar. It's the way it is.

• Yeah and what I am saying is just the way it is to.

What Guys Said 20

• Buses and other forms of public transportation make frequent stops and starts (deceleration and acceleration), in which it takes some effort for passengers to not stumble or fall. It's safer to be sitting down, especially for pregnant women or elderly women (and elderly men too, for that matter).

So it's the gentlemanly and nice thing to do for a younger, physically healthy man to give his seat for an elderly person or pregnant woman.

• Correct. Except I think the asker was more interested about why men give their seats to women, who are not necessarily pregnant or older. One could argue it's because men are physically stronger and can support themselves standing for longer and / or better, but women are also typically lighter, so they'd need less muscle to achieve the same result.

• @ivaneca Haha yeah I suspected that the Asker might have meant men giving their seats to even young, healthy, non-pregnant women -- but it's just that I rarely see that. xD Maybe it happened more in the old days, or something, but these days I mostly see people giving their seats for pregnant or older people who actually physically need it. Also, young non-pregnant women are often with company: friends, parents, siblings, her own children, etc. So I imagine it would be awkward to give your seat to one person in that party, and then leave her company standing. Plus, imagine if her company was her boyfriend or husband! That would be weird. xD

• @ivaneca Coming from NYC women are usually wearing heels

• It's just chivalry. It's safer to sit on the bus so we put ourselves in harms way for the women as we have for 1000's of years.

• It depends on the situation if I give a woman my seat or not. If she is in heels or has a heaps of stuff I will. However, I don't just give up my seat for women either, I will also give my seat up for a man that looks like he needs the seat to. If a woman is capable of standing on her own two feet with no problems then I don't get out of my seat.

• That's that 'equality' again. If a man doesn't give up his seat he is a selfish pig. Would a lady give up her seat for a man? Fuck no. Welcome to feminism

• I actually saw a woman that sat down on a full bus, she put her bag near the window and sat on the isle seat blocking 2 seats when I think people were standing. The people that were standing were an eldely couple to I think. I was thinking you bitch!

• @orphan fucking lazy ass wheelchair users. Everywhere these days :/

• thats their social life. they seem to know everyone aboard (all the old regs).

• I don't unless they're elderly, pregnant, or my girlfriend/wife.

• Because, some men actually have manners. And a gentleman makes sure the women of the group are as comfortable as possible.

• I'll give anyone my seat because I am a nice guy, standing doesn't bother me, and a seat will make someone else happy.

Win Win.

• Its a kind guesture or maybe they are getting off in a few stops

• i'll give up my seat for an older woman (or man)... or a mom.. anyone else can stand.

kid to granny i'm opening the door for ya. hate me later.

• Just 'cause. I don't have enough leg space for sitting in busses anyway. Not here at least.

• Chivalry in action.

• It's called chivalry

• It's just something a gentleman does for a lady even if he doesn't know her

• Chivalry is ingrained by mom's wooden spoon upside the head. Same as opening car and building doos, walking your date to the door, and walking on the proper side on the sidewalk

• Have you never heard of manners?

• lol unless she's old I ain't given up shit

• Well i don. t

• Neither do I. I don't automaticly get up just because a woman gets on the bus or train.

• Yes, I personally feel GAG is sexist when it comes to this. Lets women get away with poor behaviour and is so much harder on men. There is 1 girl here that should have had her account frozen a long time ago but I don't think she has yet. That is unfair, you apply the same rules to everyone no matter what they have between their legs.

• @Applefan1 Who is that then, @udolipixie should have been banned a long time ago, everything she posts is to hate on men.

• Becaaue they will give off a bad impression if they don't. I personally wouldn't give my seat up for a women. That's just stupid. I would give my seat up to an elderly person though.

• I do not. You can hate me all you like, but unless you have a disability, are elderly or pregnant, you can stand like everyone else.

Chivalry is for the dark ages.

• I think exactly the same.

• I do the exact same as you. Why should men. Women fighted for equal rights. That means a man has just as much right to that seat as a woman does. Actually if the man is there first the woman has less right to that seat than the man.

• Makes sense that women would downvote whilst the guys would upvote. Trust me girls, you would not want to LIVE in the dark ages where chivalry comes from.

• Chivalry I guess, same as in subways

• It's funny how I was the first to say chivalry on this question and I see it on subways done all the time but no one noticed

• I just think it's ridiculous for some people to say women rights and feminists but they are labeling all of the people placing opinions in a negative light. And it's ok to show chivalry and it's ok to have manners. It's the way all the guys around were raised. To represent the utmost behavior of what a proper gentleman should be like

• @Itsjustkeyitsme yes exactly , thanks for responding

What Girls Said 6

• I can understand a guy giving a girl his seat if she's pregnant, elderly, has a disability or has a lot to carry but i don't see why they should feel obligated to do it in any other situation.

• politeness... shocking innit?

• False! No man has given me a seat 😂

• It's the gentleman thing to do. Just like how it would be lady like and polite to give my seat to a pregnant woman or an elderly person.

• Why do men open doors for women?

Its SO WEEIRD

• Chilvary