How likely is it to get an infection/disease from tattooing?

So I've been wanting to get tattooed for quite sometime. I finally decided to tell my ultra-conservative, tight-laced parents that I was planning on getting a sleeve to cover up some old scars. As expected they began pummeling me with every reason in the book as to why I shouldn't get tattooed. That it's anti-biblical and unsafe. At first I defended the tattoo industry saying that infections and diseases were unlikely, but after doing some research I'm quite convinced that my parents may be right. Apparently diseases and infections caused from tattoos are on the rise in this country, and it doesn't help that tattoo ink is not regulated by the FDA. Many of the diseases caused by tattooing including hepatitis c and aids can remain dormant in your body for years. Simply put, you could get a tattoo, get infected with something, and not even know until it's too late. I really really really wanna get a tattoo but with each case that I read about I kinda don't feel like tattoos are as safe as people may think. Thoughts? I don't wanna get some flesh eating infection or be walking around with aids and not have any idea...

Most Helpful Guy

• Decent tattoo artists use one-use needles only. In other words, you can't get HIV or other diseases from theses needles because you'd be the first and last one to be stung by them. Decent tattoo artists also use disinfection to clean their instruments and they usually wear rubber gloves. It's really a pretty safe thing to do, I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. Really the only big thing you should worry about when getting a tattoo is whether you will actually still like it in the future. I know you'll probably now say "of course I will!" but everyone who is about to get a tattoo says that. Yet, there are a lot of people every year who pay tons of money to have them removed again (leaving even worse scars). I don't have anything against tattoos from a moral standpoint but I wouldn't get one myself because people can change a lot throughout their lives and there's no guarantee that you'll still find something cool or appealing 30 or 50 years from now. Especially so if you maybe gain weight some day or when you start getting old and wrinkly. But health-wise, you really shouldn't worry too much.
    Just go to a well-known tattoo artist and not to some obscure junkyard tattoo-gangsta type of guy. There are also really big national and international tattoo fairs where you can find some very good tattoo artists.

What Guys Said 1

• It depends on the tattoo parlor. I would use Yelp and see how reputable the place is

What Girls Said 1

• I have three tattoos, two on my back and one on the wrist and never got an infection. Go to a well known tattoo artist and you should be safe.