Do you agree with the NBPP?

Do you agree that black people should be able to have their own nation and to release black criminals from jail and let the "new black nation" deal with them? They talk about how all white people in South Africa should move elsewhere and all black people to Africa. Yes or no? Why?

• Yes
  • No..

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a stupid idea. Segregation is always stupid, whether it's voluntary or not. And apart from that: where are we gonna put all those black people? Haven't we learned enough from the Israeli Palestine conflict during the past 60 years. Do we really need another of those? The United States alone has about 12% of its population that identifies as black or African American. That's over 30 million people. Now, let's be nice and say we'll spread them evenly over Africa's 50 countries (minus South Africa I guess?) So that would give us 600,000 extra people for every African countries. Some countries in Africa don't even have 600,000 inhabitants. It's very unlikely they'd be happy about a sudden growth in their population of 20%, 50% or even 100%. Especially if these black foreigners from North America and Europe don't even speak the national language of that new country.
    And apart from that I also find African Americans who call Africa their homeland silly. It's not. Historically it is but certainly not culturally. The people who live in Africa nowadays have absolutely nothing to do with black Americans. They don't have the same mentality, they don't celebrate the same things, they don't eat the same type of food, they don't even necessarily speak the same language. And African Americans might praise Africa... until they're actually stuck somewhere in Somalia or Ethiopia or the Democratic Republic of the Congo or Zimbabwe. I strongly doubt they'll find Africa so cool by that time.

• This, by the way, is the REAL reason why it's a good idea for young people to go travel around the world, while they're still young and relatively free of responsibilities.

It's easy enough to think the grass is greener on the other side, when you have absolutely zero clue what the other side is like at all.

• @redeyemindtricks I've also lived in two foreign countries (in the US and in South Korea) and I loved both experiences. I'm not sure if I could emigrate to another country for the rest of my life but I can definitely see myself living in a foreign country for maybe 10 years or so. I think every country has its good sides and its bad sides. I'm glad that my home country is Switzerland simply because we have one of the highest life qualities in the world but there are definitely things from the US and Korea that I miss a lot. Especially the US has also influenced my character and mentality a bit I'd argue. And though I love to travel, there are just so many interesting places I haven't seen yet. I'm kind of an adventurous person and I'd love to do something totally crazy such as walking across America or riding my bike across Asia (two guys from my Uni rode their bikes from Switzerland to China in 10 months :-). Hell, call me crazy but I'd even like to live in North Korea for a year ;-)

• A walk across the US would just be mind-numbingly boring, for the most part, although I suppose it would allow for some serious meditation/contemplation if that's yr style.

What's stopping you from doing the bike thing?

I lived in Japan for about 2yrs, and Colombia and Italy for shorter periods. Wouldn't mind living abroad for some time again, but it just isn't logistically possible atm.
      The American international schools are awesome, and I make about enough to put our kids into those schools, but ehhh my husband wouldn't do so hot living overseas, and our oldest is pretty heavily invested in staying here (he's on track for athletic scholarships and suchlike, and athletics at those schools are just god-awful).

If you have the opportunity to do the bike thing now, while yr young, you should just go out and do it. Whatever yr doing instead, you won't get old and regret not having done more of THAT. (:

Most Helpful Girl

• segregation is always dumb idea, separating people who have a tan is just silly, having a tan doesn't give you magic powers, just protects you from sun

What Guys Said 10

• No.

One of the biggest concerns I have for my country is that we'll become balkanized at some point. I *love* the diversity and the intermixing of cultures. I think it's the backbone of out country and our greatest strength, should be embrace it.

• Criminals are in prison for the laws they break in the country they broke the law in.

Take chapel Corby for example.

She is an Australian who broke the law in Indonesia by attempting to snuggle weed into the country and got 10 years in prison and is never allowed to leave Indonesia

She's lucky she didn't get the death sentence

• angola is littered w/ landmines everywhere. no outta state foreigner is gonna be eager to move there. prospected 3-4 more years before it's cleared out?

gonna be a minute.

• A nation exclusively for one race? Does no one else see the racist irony there?

• whatever, if they all want to move there go for it, just don't make other people move

• Blacks do have their own nations, and they're all absolutely terrible.

• I like the idea. That's how it would've been if we were never brought here. *shrug*

• How would we be able to have our own nation, if we can't even get along, here? A black man can't walk down the street without being shot down dead by another black man, in some places... I don't see how it would benefit..

• @MelaninMonroe I never said I blamed them for that. I never even brought any of that up, you did

• @Jmarx this was a nice discussion.

• People are dumb... One for all and all for one.

• That was tried long ago with Liberia. Created by the USA as a nation for freed slaves to go. Didn't work.

• You mean the group that supports genocidal dictators, the bombing of orphanages, and the killings of police officers? Hell no.

What Girls Said 0