What am I doing wrong with the car?

Just got my license and started driving. But I am curious as to why this happens to me... like everytime I go to start the car it always takes 2 times to start, but my mom and my sister drive the same car and it always starts for them on the first turn of the key. Am i doing something wrong here lol?

its a 2006 nissan altima and runs perfectly fine otherwise btw! It's going to be my car soon full-time so i'd like to not break it haha!

Most Helpful Guy

• I would try holding the key at start just a little longer. But you won't break the car if you have to do it twice... as long as you let it sit for a second or 2 before turning the key again. Def don't turn it repeat times over an over in one motion or you will kill the starter! My girlfriend always has to do it twice with her car cause she doesn't hold the key to start long enough... i laugh cause its like she's impatient with it!

by the way Does this happen all the time or just at certain times you drive it? Could be just cold in the AM or something?

Most Helpful Girl

• You're not holding the key in the turned position for long enough. That's why.

What Guys Said 9

• It is probably that you are letting go of the key when starting it before the engine has started.

• Also you won't break the car by having to try and start it two times.

• You need to hold the key until the engine starts, sounds like you are letting the key go before the engine has started.

• Maybe you're not holding the key long enough. I use to do that. Or maybe it's not in all the way. Because if it works for your mom and sister, it's not a starter or battery or alternator problem.

• Just a guess but you may be turning the key a second time.. only turn it once.. good luck

• Hold the key on start for longer.

• turn the key so all the dashboard lights come on and wait a few seconds before starting, see if that helps.

• Yeah, don't be afraid to hold the key for a few seconds until the engine starts. Also, does your battery need replacing? They don't last forever.

• Odd lol

When you turn the key hold it in the final end position until the car starts well.

• You'll get the hang of it.

• Am I the only one who thinks that somebody should be able to start a car before they are allowed to get out on the road?

• Do you hold the key until it starts or do you just turn it and release?

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like you're not holding the key xD