Are you an organ donor?

Why, why not?

• Yes
  • No
  • I'm considering becoming an organ doner

Most Helpful Guy

• If I were to give one of my organs away I'd sell it at a black market so I could at least get a lot of money for it lol. I guess I would be an organ donor though cause when I die I would have no use for it, but accepting an organ that is not your has a lot of dark sides to it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I didn't realize how direly important organ donors and transplants were until my mother was diagnosed with an aggressive terminal illness and died within a year of diagnosis. A lung transplant match could have given my mother more years of life to see my sister graduate high school, my other sister graduate college, and maybe me become a doctor and get married. The more organ donors there are, the more chances there are to save peoples' lives or buy them time with their loved ones. I see it as the last good deed/chance to save a life a person has in case something happens. I hope to play a bigger roles in its awareness as I grow more settled.

• Also, it's worth noting that ANY one of us may one day be fighting for our lives and become in need of a transplant to save our own life or that of a loved one. You are not safe. The disease my mom got came out of no where. We have no family history of it and she was not a smoker. If that ever happens, you may become grateful to the people who chose to be organ donors.

• @CharlesRitchet hers wasn't idiopathic. It was pulmonary fibrosis in the form of interstitial lung disease. She had been diagnosed with scleroderma a few years before which ended up being diffuse instead of just limited. At first they thought the pulmonary fibrosis was due to the methotrexate she was prescribed for Scleroderma. They then just concluded the disease spread to her lungs and esophagus. The antibody she had was anti-centromere which usually doesn't become diffuse but in rare cases it can. Usually it's anti- Scl70 that leads to internal organ involvement. It was just a lot of bad luck. Yes! I am a 3rd year med student. What about you?

• Thanks for sharing your insights. I am happy for you. I am sure you will be successful in your future endeavors. May God guide you. Yes I am a 2nd year med. student. My exams are finished just today.

What Guys Said 23

• No, because I don't want to give my doctor incentive in messing up my operation should I ever need one.

• What? That's not how it works. If something happened to you, the doctor doing the surgery is not a transplant doctor. They don't know who needs organs, they just know they want to save the life in front of them both for the patient's sake and because the family can sue if he makes a bad mistake. If and only if you're a goner do they look at your records to see what you want to do with your body.

• But at this point in history we can make artificial organs. Donors will be a thing of the past. You give. Doctor your tissue and they'll grow a new organ out of your tissue

• It is currently not a thing of the past, so we can't act like it is. The studies and testing for that is still in its infancy. The day it is successful enough to replace human organ donors, the whole world will know.

• Hell yeah I am.

Not to be morbid, but I kind of like the idea of being harvested. I've got good stuff, too! I don't drink, never smoked a day in my life, I eat clean, etc.

If I step off a curb tomorrow and get blasted by a bus, a bunch of people will be vying for my goods.

• current status: no

• Voted C. I would certainly donate my organs! :)

• I have the organ donor card in my wallet

• Yes because when I am dead I can help people with need. Very hard to get transplants for people who need them.

• because if something happens to me its one last chance to do something kind for someone in need

• No. I would love to donate my organs when I'm dead, I obviously won't need them. Especially since I'm not religious, that makes it a lot easier. BUT, the only reason why I haven't done it is because of concerns of medical error or bad judgement.

Example - gizmodo.com/.../the-dark-side-of-being-an-organ-donor

• I do not need my body parts after I am gone. Certainly if they can help someone else they can use them. Remember we are all ghosts walking around in meat suits, if I don't need my meat suit anymore someone else can have it. :)

• Because when I'm dead I have no need for any parts of my body. If other people need them... go for it!

• I don't think I can be yet?
    I also haven't donated blood yet cuz I don't want to deal with getting the paperwork signed by my parents.
    I'll write everything up when I turn 18 this summer.

• Ya, I already donated my liver, left lung and both eyes to a goat.

• Yes, because it's the right thing to do.

• No and I would never be one either. Ever.

• They'll try to kill you in the hospital to harvest your organs. Don't say they don't because I know someone who this has happened to. If his mother didn't fight them he wouldn't still be alive.

• So you think doctors regularly kill patients to make room for more?

• @Soyeah999 Doctors are regularly forced to try to get patients healthy as quickly as possible to make room for more. It doesn't necessarily mean kill. If you're about to die or you're basically dead did they kill you? This is a morality question that some doctors have to deal with. I know it sucks.

For example though I have a family member who has COPD. She's not dead but she'll probably never get better. They moved her out from hospital to hospital. Why? Because they need to bring in new patients. So that's what I'm talking about. You're drawing to conclusions here.

• I am because I have no use for them, when I'm dead.

• Yea I donor my d sometimes mlao

• I'm going back to God with all the parts he sent me down with.

• Not if you have your tonsils, appendix, gallbladder, or any teeth removed. :P At least if you donate, you'll be saving someone else.

• Lol sounds a little selfish but okay

• @snowangle I agree, it does.

• I won't need them, I'm going to be dead. Of course I am

• I would only donate anything as long as I get to say whom I donate it to.

• Organ donation doesn't just affect the person with the illness though. What if a person had any of the above, but had children who still needed their mom or dad? Does that not matter?

• Lol "anybody who I simply don't accept." You sure think highly of yourself, don't you?

• Yes, I am but I hope they don't hurry me up if there is still a chance for me :)

• If i die in a car accident and something of me still works fine why not let someone whose still kicking use it?

• Yes I am but that being said wear a live and work they probably won't be to get my body to the nearest hospital capable of doing the harvesting in time

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, because I have no use for my organs after I'm dead. Someone else can benefit from anything that's still useful.

• I can't donate organs. It would end up passing my allergies on to the recipients and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• My d. l. is marked as an organ donor but I know that ultimately they will leave it up to my closest relatives to decide when to pull the plug. You're crazy if you think other wise. I have no doubt in my miND that my husband would make sure there are no other options and that every test possiblemail has been ran, (doctors might try to convince to pull the plug when one test shows death BUT there are other tests to run, they may deny it but it can save a life, just push for the extra tests) but he also knows that if my chances are slim of living a normal life again I would prefer to give what I can to other who need it more.

• Yes I am. My death could mean a second chance at life for another person.

• of course... I don't consider myself useful so this is one way to give back.

• Every tree have brunches, every brunch have other brunches. You have you paper, as i do.
      Your nothing less girl. You are the start of something.

• @OrangeBoy Nah... you just think I am! (:

• I'm an organ donor because if I can't use it anymore, if I'm a vegetable, then let me go and let someone else live a full life.

• Yes because I live in France and I didn't object, so by the law it means that if I die here I would be a donor.

• I agreed to donate anything other than my eyes. The thought of them slicing up my eyeballs still creeps me out a little. Even post-mortem.

• A big no.

Because I don't want to give doctors any incentive to kill me. They already kill enough patients even when they aren’t trying.

:\

• I just told this to another user. It does NOT give a doctor an incentive to kill you. The doctors trying to save your life focuses on YOU. They are not transplant doctors. They have no clue who needs organs. Sometimes when a patient dies, the organs are donated across the country. The doctor caring for you just know they need to save the patient in front of them and if they mess up they can be sued by your family. What to do with your organs only comes into play after it's certain you are going to die, and then they look at what you wanted to do with your body and respect that. You don't have to donate if you don't want to but know that's not how it works.

• @loofah But here's the thing. Most people it seems are either organ donors or wouldn't mind their organs being donated. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Both decisions could be seen as positive or negative.

• @Joc4Position There isn't a right or wrong answer. A person should have a say over his body. I am trying to appeal to the people who may be interested if they knew the truth about it, that's all.