Do you agree with boycotting the Oscars this year?

I don't usually care about topics like this but after seeing the nominations this year, i couldn't help but laugh. Before you all start saying that us black people bitch about everything, i'm not one o fthose people. Like i said, i dont normally care about things like this until i saw the nominations.

Matt Damon getting nominated for best actor when there was nothing special about his performance. Even more shocking is sylvester stallone getting nominated for basically playing himself. This isn't about an all white nomination but more to do with the fact that more deserving people are being shunned. The actors from straight outta compton derserved a nomination. Hell the film itself deserved a best picture nomination. Even the Creed director should definatley have been nominated. The dude shot the boxing matches in one long take (freaking amazing). The little kid from The Room should have been nominated for best supporting actor. Lets not forget Chalize theron for mad max, she deserved a nomination

Most Helpful Girl

• No. In all honesty, I don't see it as anything new. The Oscars came about when racism was still high and in a time where minorities had little to no chance in the business. The first black person to win it portrayed a stereotypical slave role.. lol.

I think your second paragraph is completely subjective and though I agree with it, there's nothing that we can do. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• The Academy Awards are always screwed up, but I truly don't believe any particular ethnic group is under siege. I mean, they finally gave John Wayne an award for the mostly crappy True Grit, when his finest movie was clearly The Qiet Man. This isn't to imply the film industry was never awash in racism, as it clearly was. I just don't see it as the root cause of the current omissions.

• Im a film student and I've told people that i don't give a crap if i never win an oscar etc. As long as my target audience like my films, thats all that matters to me. I make films to entertain people, not to win a bunch of golden trophies

• lol yh true

What Girls Said 5

• Oscar is a funny award. So i do not care. You should do the same.

• Never watched them before nit going to start now.

• I think it's stupid, but I don't care about the Oscars to begin with

• Yupppp

• I never watch award shows. I have better things to waste my time in.

What Guys Said 19

• I boycott them every year. They are boring, and often they clearly vote based on political motivation over who deserves it. If you make a movie that has a political message they agree with, or are far more extreme in your political beliefs in your private life, then you will almost always win over the person that actually deserves it.

• I think James Franco should have gotten an Oscar for how little of a shit he gave about the Oscars when he hosted the Oscars...

• No the academy awards shouldn't be boycotted all film is subjective just because there aren't any black nominees doesn't = CLEAR RACISM. If boycotting the oscars worked and they made the nominess more diverse it'd diluting the quality of nominees race is irrelevant when choosing it don't make it be relevant at the oscars. Furthermore I honestly thought Matt Damon and Sylvester Stallone were amazing and saying more deserving people were shunned is just an opinion that the best in hollywood disagree with (although would've been nice if straight outta compton got a nomination).

• the only worthy performance in that film was ice cube's son. the only valid reasoning i can think of for not getting nominated is the fact he's playing his father. although, his preparation for the role is noteworthy as well.

compared to last years winner eddie redmayne who had to protray someone with ALS, then you can appreciate the degree of difficulty being a factor.

i liked dope better by the way.

(coming from a person who's born n raised in LA)

• award shows are just excuses for rich people to clap for themselves and let everyone hear about it. no one should take them seriously. it's like billionaires going to a billionaires party and talking about how rich they are and putting it on tv

• Maybe those movies or actors weren't as good as you think they are.

• but they were certainly better than sylvester stallone and matt damon who got nominated...

• It's a private organization, you can either agree or disagree with their judgement.
    Besides Oscars were never about the best movies or acting, sadly.

The part about people boycotting the ceremony for not having nominated people of their race receiving press coverage instead of being sent to asylum just demonstrates how deep does the USA swim in the septic of political correctness.

• No I don't. It's about good performance not race.

Oh here's what actress Janet Hubert had to say on this situation and about Jada.
    "And here’s the other thing: For you to ask other actors, and other black actresses and actors, too, to jeopardize their career and their standing in a town that you know damn well you don’t do that. And here’s the other thing: They don’t care.
    'They don’t care! And I find it ironic that somebody who has made their living, made their living and made millions and millions of dollars from the very people you’re talking about boycotting just because you didn’t get a nomination, just because you didn’t win."

She's 100% correct.

• Like i said in my question, better actors, more deserving actors were snubbed. For me, its not about black, white etc. How tf can sylvester stallone and matt damon get nominated when they weren't even great in their films.

• I kind of agree with you on there. Creed was a fantastic movie. But my point is the whole Jada thing, she is taking it too far. She has made millions on the system she now says is flawed. Like get over yourself. Quit Hollywood then. There are more important things going on in the world than an award show.

• true on the whole jada issue though

• Honesty I don't care all that much about em, I dislike about 80% of the actors in Hollywood so *shrugs* I mean good actors but shit human beings.

• lol not all. like i said as well, i don't normally care for award shows but i guess, i watched most of the films that were nominated and snubbed and i just disagreed with the nominations

• It's like that every year with at least 1 person, perhaps next year there will be better nominations.

• I will boycott it with ya... I don't normally watch it anyway lol

• lol, i don't normally watch it as well. I'm a film student anyway and i tell people that i don't give a crap if i never win an oscar when i make films. As long as my target audience are happy, thats all i care about

• Nice... hopefully we will see something of yours someday. I do like movies but tend to watch whatever I want/like rather than listen to some critic. Did that one time and it was worse movie ever... waste of time and popcorn.

• loll, i never listen to what critics say

• I think "black people bitch about everything". For real.

• I never watch Oscars anyways. Straight Outta Compton was snubbed and Jake Gyllenhaal was snubbed big time for best actor last year in Nightcrawler.

• I don't care about the oscars either way. If they want to boycott them, I won't support it, but I'm not against it.

• If you know of a performance which should've been nominated go ahead and tell us and I will give it a look

• Oh and by the way the one long take deal is already been done bird man

• And I would have to assume doing one long take in a ring with 3 people compared to one long take following a character from set to set is much easier.

And IT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE, which you as a film student should understand is no small consideration when it comes to recognition.

• even if it has been done before, it was done in a different (dangerous) way. Out of all the films nominated, the only one that actually stood out for me is the revenant and mad max. Every other film nominated didn't do anything that i haven't seen before so they to shouldn't have been nominated in that case

• Why aren't we boycotting the NBA?

• for what?

• Matt Damon was AWESOME in the Martian

• apology accepted. I didn't really find matt damon's performance oscar worthy. He was good but not compared to the other nominees in the best actor

• I never cared about oscars anyway.

• Yes - Because white people are fucking bigots. This is why black women need to stop fuckng around with white peeps

• Personally I dont care but maybe the solution is to create token oscars for every minority based on political correctness instead of best performance such as best black actor and actress, best supporting black actor and actress, best non white actor and actress, best black American movie about slavery or oppression, best dressed African American in a film, funniest wise cracking black American, best racially offended black American in a movie, best pre 1940's uncle tom performance, best performance by Denzel Washington, best token black guy in a movie. So many lmao

• It really is another way for celebrities to engulf themselves with self-admiration.