Girls will you be taking your husband's last name? Guys would you take your wife's own?

I wouldn't take my wife last name because I'm the only boy and want to carry on my family's name. Also my family name is well know.

Most Helpful Girl

• I did, but man the issues. All of our mail comes in Spanish now and when I went to the hospital to have a baby they gave me all the information in Spanish 😜. If I could have seen that coming I would definitely think about it first 😏

• What? How did that happen? lmao

• I definitely got a good laugb as well! Lol night🌙

• And thanks!

What Girls Said 13

• Sure, I would. I think hyphenating would work too, but my current partner already has a double-barrel surname so I'd technically get three surnames and I'm just not cool with that :P I'd also be fine with him taking my name. Whatever suits us, I guess :)

• Yes, I will be taking my husbands name most likely, unless it is a TERRIBLE last name. If it's not, then I will definitely take it, haha.

• Yes, I would take his last name.

• I think I want to hyphenate mine. Though my boyfriend and I were talking about this before and apparently he would rather mine.

• Yes, I'm excited to have his last name

• I did. I'm not particularly attached to my family name, and plus my husband's last name is way cooler, lol. I have four brothers who can pass the name on, and one already has. It's not going to die out or anything.

• depends on his last name... I don't know. my dad had no sons. i feel bad about the name not continuing.

• I'd keep mine.

• If I ever do get married, no. I'm the last one with my last name in my family. I'll keep it.

• I will probably keep my last name because i have created so many puns for it hahah if he has an awesome last name i could potentially be persuaded to take his.

• I would stick with my own last name for sure. I just don't see the point in taking a husband's last name. In my culture, women don't do that and I've really become fonder of this idea over time. Also, I would definitely hyphenate my kids' last names. No logical explanation as to why they'd only get my husband's last name, plus I would want to carry on my family's name in some way.

• I probably will. Except if it becomes some kind of weird combination with my intitials.

• If I decide to get married, I would discuss it with my future husband. If it's really important to him, I'll take his last name. Otherwise, I'll keep mine. I'm working hard in my career and I'd like to keep my name going.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't care too much about last names. I don't see what's important about them. I also don't particularly like my last name (it's not weird or anything, it just sounds a little boring). I will most likely take my girlfriend's name once we get married. I like her name (especially because it is a foreign name) and I consider the act of taking my girlfriend's name a nice gesture to show my love to her.

• Eh... No point in changing the family name. The kids will get the Dad family name unless he loses on the drinking game with his wife... then the kids will get the wife name.

• No I wouldn't take my wife's name. But she took mine.

• I would prefer to keep my name and have her take it, too. If that's not an option, then I'm okay with her keeping her last name and I'll do the same -- not a huge fan of the hyphenation thang.

• I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

• I think I'd be fine with both of us keeping our own last names. I'm not hung up on a wife taking my last name, especially if she has kids from a previous marriage.

• I want mine passed down so I'm not taking her name

• I would probably take my husbands name, unless he wanted to take mine, I don't know.

We'll just swap birth certificates how's that?

• That is up to her, if she wants to she can, I have no opinion on it whatsoever.

I won't take hers though, I like my own.

• No she has to take mine it's not even up for discussion