Is getting old the most horrible thing?

There is no point where you can say "Okay this is as bad as it can get" cause it just keeps on getting worse the older you get, once you hit 30 it's all downhill from there.

The older you get the more your physical appearance whithers and decays, your self confidence plummets, people respect you less. There is no point where it stops getting worse, except when you finally die that is.

Most Helpful Guy

• I won't lie and say it is great but it is what you make of it - You have to two choices (1) whither and die (2) Adapt to your new circumstances maybe even develop new aspects of yourself, you may even find some comfort, peace and/or contentment you didn't have when you are younger. How it will affect you no one knows, everyone's life is different. Take me, I honestly feel I am a better person than I was 10/20 years ago but that is just the way my life panned out.

What Girls Said 3

• No. The most horrible thing is getting old without making your mark in the world.

• It's terrible if you are the same as you were years ago.

• Yes. Im very afraid of being old. It means the end to me :(

What Guys Said 4

• I'm hearing what you've written being performed by an improv actor with a sour expression, ill-fitting clothes (khakis, blue Oxford shirt), disheveled hair, spitting into the mic. Very entertaining and funny in an oblique, could-he-be-serious way.

For anybody who's inclined to take this young man's assertions at face value, though:

No. :) Getting "old" (however we define that term) is in no way intrinsically negative.

But the positives are legion and well known.

• i feel more confident now than when i was younger. only people who dont respect me are toughs a lot younger than me. if you played your cards right in your 20's and 30's all your hard work starts to pay off. you are not living pay check to pay check, you can afford to go on vacation, you can afford a new car. if you want to. your job becomes easier because you have more experience doing it so there's less stress. But yes there's a down side, all the stupid stuff you did when you were younger all the injuries comeback to haunt you.

• Getting older and older without dying is far worse. But I wouldn't say from 30. Perhaps 40 and onwards.

I am not afraid of being old, I embrace it. It does not really matter when I die, all that matters to me is how I lived. If I lived well, then at any time, I am happy to depart from this world, knowing I have no regrets.

I don't know about the part where people respect me less for being older. If anything, I think they'd find me wiser, and that is more reason to listen to me than ever before.

• The most horrible thing is to live in poor health for a long time. But you can still enjoy life (and have an active sex life) at 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70.