Do believe in defending your home from intruders?

• Hell yeah!!!
  • No I will call 911 and they will show up 2hours latee after I and my family are dead
  • Not in any circumstances. Let them take what they want and hopefully the won't rape me for hours
  • Hide in my panic room and hope they leave. Even though they will be back because the police won't find them

Most Helpful Girl

• Heck yeah! I have a baseball bat, and a loaded gun in my basement in case some buffoon tries to sneak his way in.

What Girls Said 12

• You have very opinionated choices. I have a shotgun in my house for protective purposes but I would call 911 and not shoot anyone unless absolutely necessary.

• In my state we have the right to defend our homes. We used to have to run away (statute) but now we have the right to stand our ground. So in my state you can legally defend your property from intruders.

Those intruders can sue you for injuring themselves on your property, but the statute says you have the right to defend your property.

I would send my dog after him. My dog is part guard dog and part pet. He's very aggressive toward strangers on our property. So if he went after them and was killed I'd stand my ground with a firearm. The second they killed my dog, my harming of them would become defense of self or others so I'd be covered. Mostly.

• Maybe if the US did something to alleviate poverty, burglary wouldn't be such an issue. But them, capitalist systems don't care about its peoples. Just $$$.

• They tried that in detriot as well as banning guns. Didn't work out so good.

• So, naturally, blow their face off. Don't even turn on a light to see if it's your teenager sneaking in after a night out. Just shoot them. Self-defence, right?

• Not always that simple as I personally found out.

• As opposed to bending over and offering them my asshole?

I mean who the fuck would actually sit there and allow them to intrude on your home and vandalize and thieve your shit?

Im pretty sure everyone believes in defending their home against intruders, it's just not everyone has the same defense systems.

• What would you do and do you think it would work?

• There are people who do actually believe in not defending their homes and violence begets violence, win your enemies over with kindness or that God will protect them.

• No there aren't.

• Guns are illegal here and we don't have a panic room. I hope my parents have some kind of plan honestly...

• I suggest you get a plan.

• How about knives? Are they illegal as well? You can get one of those tranquilizer guns.. The kind you blow the needle out. Lol

• @Southern_Shorty knives are legal, but not too big.
      Tranquilizer guns are illegal. So are things like pepper spray, but our police is much faster than in the US. The police is within 10 minutes or so at your house if you call them.

• All your voting options are biased, because you believe in "defending your home from intruders". the real question on your mind is, "do you agree with me that everyone should have a gun in their home? Anyone that disagrees with me is a moron"

Guns do more harm than good. I think America needs to rid themselves of them, but many people go apeshit when this is said so I don't think that will be happening any time soon. Sure, criminals will still be able to get their hands on guns, but that is the same as here in the UK. The death rate involving guns is still much lower over here though. Other things can be used to defend yourself if you're being attacked. "Pumping someone full of lead" that has done you wrong IS wrong. Guns in my opinion, are not the answer.

Guns have been a curse. The whole world would be better off without them.

• I take the world as it is. Gun crime is on the rise in the UK thats why more police are being armed. Guns are readily available in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK due to lax border control. Russians, Poles and othe Eastern Europeans are now in control of tge British criminal underworld which was easy for them due to their easy access to firearms and every eastern European having military training. Ilegal gun smiths can build guns and make bullets very easily just by retooling industrial machinery. You realise how easy and cheap it is to build a sten sub machine gun.

• You're right about this. But that doesn't change the fact that I think guns are wrong and and all they do is make the world shittier than it already is, they do very little good.

• When your trying to protect your home they do much good

• Of course. I don't own any firearms though. I know how to use them, I just don't need one in my house. Also the cops are always going up and down my street because the neighbourhood precinct is right around the corner.

Also where do you live that it takes 2 hours for emergency responders to get to your house? Lol.

• You'd be surprised at response times at 3 in the morning or when there's a riot or some local disaster. Thats the reason I carry.

• That's the cultural difference between we Canadians and Americans though. We would rather not have guns at all, but they're too scared to go to their florist or whatever without one.

• @9mfeo did a school just get shot up in canada?

• Yes I do!

I own a double barrel 20 gauge shotgun with an 18-1/2 inch barrel. Birdshot / Buckshot less likely to penetrate an apartment wall to next door, yet will provide excellent penetration to the intruder!

Compliments of my big brother, he leaned it up against the back of the truck then backed over the tip of the barrel. My Dad had a gunsmith cut it down, even has the little BB sight if you really needed to aim!!!

• I am in the UK so there are no firearms but I have a nice big baseball bat next to the bed just in case.

• You can own weapons for hunting and clay pigeon shooting which is good enough for home defence.

• Yes but they are a bunch of pacifist a**holes who run the legal system here and I would be more likely to go to jail than the idiot who tried to rob me.

• Thats true I suppose. Look at that farmer who killed that gypsy.

• I have every right to defend myself, and my family if an intruder enters

• I would consider keeping a gun in the home someday! At the moment, I can't really afford it. But I'm most likely okay for the time being. I live in a small apartment. If someone starts trying to get in the door, my dog is gonna bark and growl (she sounds a lot bigger than she is). If that doesn't scare them off, I'm locking my dog and I in the bedroom with a blunt object (idk I'll improvise. Maybe a frying pan). If the person does somehow manage to get in (which is a challenge lol, my door takes a bit of muscle to open even with a key), I'll already have called 911 and will loudly let the person know that the police are on their way. There's almost always a cop or two in the neighborhood anyway because my building is full of druggies.

So there's my survival plan. Centers around me hiding with my puppy and calling the big boys. :P

• I don't own any guns, but I have some swords. Yes, I am well aware that my katana will not deflect bullets, but I have something to defend myself if it ever came to that. I do believe people have a right to defend themselves and their home.

• Is it an actual sword or an ordimental prop and is their enough room for you to swing it in your home?

• Well, I haven't sharpened it, but yes it is real and can cut things. I live a minimalist lifestyle (no clutter, not a lot of furniture), so yes I have room to swing it.

What Guys Said 22

• why the fuck is this in "sexual behavior?"
    And don't you understand what a "loaded question" is? Despite agreeing with the premise of self defense entirely, I can not help but to despise the way you phrased the question, and the answers. Very disingenuous.

• There aren't any intruders where I live, so I don't need to worry about intruders. We sometimes don't even lock our door at night.
    And more importantly: I know you will try to deny is any way you can but is still remains a fact that there's a direct correlation between gun control and low rates of violent crimes. People like you keep claiming that if there were gun restrictions, criminals would still have lots of guns, so the fight would be even more unequal. I wish you could just be a little less ignorant and look over the edge of your own plate. Both in Canada and in western Europe, gun-related crimes are SIGNIFICANTLY rarer. Here in western Europe, it's very unusual for criminals to even have guns. If they do, they're usually from poverty-ridden countries in eastern Europe where they have very relaxed gun laws and lots of corruption. German, French, Swiss, Dutch or Norwegian criminals might carry a knife but they hardly ever carry a gun. The homicide rate committed with firearms (per capita!) in Germany is 0.07. In Finland it's 0,32. In Iceland it was an astounding 0.00 in 2012. In Norway it's 0,10. In Switzerland it's 0,23. Even in a poor European country such as Greece it's only 0,53. In the US, however it's 3,55. That's 50 times the rate it is in Germany. If you look at gun related deaths in total (per 100,000 people), the figures becomes even crazier. Here's a good site for giving you an impression:
    www.humanosphere.org/.../
    The US has more gun related deaths than Pakistan and almost the same amount of gun related deaths as Iraq. In other words: the US is more violent country than some "failed states" that have gun through decades of dictatorships, civil wars and terrorist attacks. The US also has more gun related deaths per 100,000 citizens than the Democratic Republic of the Congo, a country in which rape, human trafficking, torture and the like have become an almost daily routine. I don't know how under these circumstances, you could possibly scream for more guns and more violence and less restrictions. My conclusion is that you either don't want to see the evidence because you're brainwashed into an unconditional love of guns or you're being paid by the gun manufacturers to campaign for their business and profit.

• They tried gun control in Detroit and los Angeles by banning hand guns and surprise surprise crime went up simply because criminals still had guns. Canada has mire guns per person than America 1in3. All those European countries allow gun ownership even Norway haf mass shootings and in Paris those terrorists must have forgotten france's assault rifle ban. Those failed ststes and third world countries dont have the means to report properly gun death statistics. Its like comparing sex crime statistics in sweeden to that of Pakistan.

• The gun restrictions in individual US cities don't work for a very simple reason: it's impossible to stop people bringing in guns from outside that city. In order to work, the whole US would have to agree on gun restriction. In that case, it certainly would work.
      Canada does NOT have as many guns per person as the US. The US has (by far!) more guns per person than any other country in the world. Certainly more than any developed country in the world. en.wikipedia.org/.../Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Yes, gun ownership is somewhat allowed in western European countries but it is heavily restricted. For example high calibre firearms are generally forbidden to be privately owned. You're only allowed to own firearms that serve a specific purpose (e. g. hunting rifle). Plus, every citizen who wants to purchase a gun has to go through extensive medical check-up and background checks. For example I would not be allowed to even purchase a small handgun because I'm visually impaired. Even in my home country Switzerland, which is generally

• believed by many gun-loving Americans to be super liberal on guns, there are actually heavy restrictions. The only reason Swiss people seem to be heavily armed when looking at the statistics is because we have a mandatory army service for all men and there is a law that you're actually FORCED by the government to keep your army rifle at home (cold war policy). However, you're not actually allowed to use it unless there is an emergency of national defence or an official army-organized training. So you can't just shoot your army-rifle for fun. In fact, you'd get fined very heavily for doing so.
      Yes, Norway has had ONE mass shooting. Let me compare that to the WEEKLY public shooting and school shootings in the US. Need I say more?
      And yes, as a rich terrorist (IS has tons of oil money) you can get yourself a gun from the middle east and smuggle it into France. However, most normal French people wouldn't do that. A kid intending to do a school shooting wouldn't travel to go to Syria first.

• honestly your characterizations are way off base and your working off a straw man argument not to mention your poll is completely slanted. Common sense gun control can only help our country the less guns the better.

Keep in mind you are more likely to be killed in a gun accident or for a clearly unjustified reason.

In Europe where in some cases most private gun ownership is illegal and in other cases is just highly regulated the number of non-fatal assaults is significantly higher. Non-fatal assaults are better then fatal assaults right?

Gun control will never get the guns away from all criminals but it will get guns out of many criminals' hands. The majority of burglars are getting their guns from a friend/family member's house, a gun show, or a pawn shop and not a secret arms dealer. Note that my three examples all contain sellers who for the most part are not required to do any background checks on who they gift or trade guns.

Finally 911 operators agree. People don't understand that stand your ground means robber assaulting you and not menacing looking person on your property

• Yeah, but I prefer to be smart about it. I have guns around, wouldn't use it unless absolutely neccessary though. Way too much paperwork. Not going to open fire on the first thing that moves like so many idiots out there. I'd rather just chase them out, then tey're someones else's problem.

• I have a shotgun and have a handgun waiting for me when I get back to sf.

• Without a lethal weapon if possible, but otherwise just 911.

• Why in the fuck would you want an AR 15 for home defense when Shotguns are far superior for home defense.
    You know that there are a couple of cases of grizzly bears barging into someones home and killing people.
    You know that if a bear is on your property and going after your kids your AR 15 is useless,
    A shotgun isn't
    On top of that, You have the racking of a pump action shotgun is practically universally known as the sign for get the hell outta my house.
    Shotguns are better for tight spaces like that.
    AR 15s are not good home defense

• It's the man who wields it. Im used to an AR15 and have trained with it. I used to clear houses with an M16A2 and did alright. Im pretty good with my Beretta handgun granted its not the best handgun you can buy but im that used to it and have put that many rounds through it at the target range that its my go to weapon if I wake up hearing a smash downstairs. I do keep a shotgun but im really not a shotgun guy.

• Berreta pf,
      My dad prefers his m1911 or his 357
      But I'm saying that for large animals of the United States, the AR-15 severly lacks in stopping power,
      You shot a bear with an AR-15 and it will probably maul you to death and probably your entire family before is succumbs.

• I have a glock as well im just so used to my beretta same way your dad is to his 1911. Your right about the AR15 but you can get larger calibars for hunting not that I do much hunting. I use a bolt action ww2 lee Enfield with open sites for hunting. Im more of a fishing guy anyway.

• if someone broke in i think they would be safer confronting me i would just hurt them if my wife caught them she would make them clean up the mess they made then belittle them then hurt them. example when she was 17 there was a 22 year old guy that was teasing her. she turned the tables on him and he left crying. all she did was use words :-)

• More likely they would beat her down and rape her dispite her biting words

• the truth is she's a better off hand shot than i am and she knows how to handle a 45 (1911). she likes going to the range with me :-)

• oh i forgot to say yes she cleans the her own gun and helps me cast the bullet and reload the ammo

• One should have the right to defend his/her property. Here in Brazil it's difficult to get a gun legally, 11 years ago they tried to ban guns but it didn't work. It's just not a good idea to do it.

• 4 dogs, sword on my wall, and maybe a surprise or two to add to that.

• I have many guns. I keep two revolvers loaded in my nightstand loaded but in a small handgun safe. I have a maglight flashlight that can not only give me light but temporally blind them, but be careful using it as it gives your position away. I have a carry license but rarely do carry. When I do carry, most of the time it is a small Kel-Tec P32 which is near invisible in my pants pocket when looking at me, or a S&W MP9 with an inside the waistband holster. If the economy crashes due to debt load you better have your gun and ammo already or like a grocery store in a snow storm, everything will be gone. If anyone wants help in selecting weapons, send me a message.

• Okay so this DOES make sense but...

A while ago Australia called for ALL arms to be turned in to the government, and they got a LOT.

I'm fairly sure they haven't had one shooting in over a decade

We've had thousands

Japan has strict gun control, too. They let their people have guns but it's a pain to get one

Just my point of view.

• My dad has a gun somewhere... As for me I have a baseball bat and tennis racket. I don't really believe in using guns.

• But believe in cracking skulls with a baseball bat. Hope it works out for you.

• Provided he hasn't cracked your head open with a nail bar or there is multiple assailants.

• I wouldn't let that happen and I'm not the only male adult in my house. The only way that would happen is if I never heard them enter. So what good is a gun if you don't even know you're about to be attacked?

• The gun is to hold someone until the cops arrive. You are no longer in fear for your life when you have a gun pointed at somebody.

If you are looking for an excuse to kill a person, then some introspection is in order.

• Oddly enough. I've lived in a metro area for all my life and have never needed to own a gun to defend my home. Go figure.

• I own 6 guns. You figure it out. ;-)

• Eh, I'm more in favor of building a bullet-proof/resistant panic room with a monitor for cameras throughout the house and a landline phone in it. Less chance of dying that way.

• If you can get to it and they dont cut the power and phone cables and then decide to weld the door with you in it so they can live in your house

• Not much of a safe riom if tou can get a phone signal

• You'd be surprised how strong cell phone reception can be.

And anyways, any reasonable person would have their phone and electricity lines underground when building a house. I sincerely doubt the burglar will have time to find, dig down, and cut those before you can call the cops.

Personally, I think you're giving the average burglar too much credit. They aren't nearly as smart as movies portrary them to be.

• any intruder coming through my door is gonna be scarred for life after i'm done raping them.

• Yup. Glock strapped to my headboard. Nice to feel safe, y'know?

• To the headboard that sounds a bit oscar pitoris. "Honey are you in the bathroom? Yes good. Bang bang bang bang!

• Haha! I just hang it there in the holster - force of habit really.

• I keep my beretta under the bed lol

• I wouldn't use guns like a pussy. I'll just fight them off.

• I will die protecting me family, and my home.

• My awnswer TRUST DECEIVED

• I don't think you should kill someone over property, not property they could carry off anyway. If there is physical danger that's different.

The law where I live is you should announce your presence and tell the intruder to leave. If they do anything after that but go for the nearest exit you should assume intent to harm and shoot them.

Oh and as an old judge told me, if you shoot keep shooting until they are dead. Otherwise they will sue you and it won't matter what they were doing when you shot them. Even if they were poised with a bloody knife over your firstborn, if they get a good lawyer a jury will give them some of your net worth.

• Personally I believe if you break into a person's home whatever happens from then on is your fault and your responsibility in other words if you end up in jail or dead no matter what its on you. That judge gave you a good tip shoot to kill.