Why do Americans like to eat jam and peanut butter sandwiches?

I tried it a minute ago because I had some jam and peanut butter in the house, but it wasn't that nice. So why do you like it so much?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 34

• We only eat them when we run out of beans on toast and Spotted Dick, our favorite British poverty food!

• I think you need to be American to like that sorta thing :-). I'm not saying it's inherently bad... it's just sort of a cultural taste that other people don't like so much. Like many foreigners find it weird that one of the traditional dishes of my country Switzerland is Fondue... which is just a pot of melted cheese and a basked full of bread. I've tried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a couple of times myself when I lived in the US and I didn't really like them either. But I think it also had to do with the bread. Many Americans only eat toast bread or similarly white, spongy bread. Maybe nowadays it's starting to change a bit but when I lived there a few years ago it was still very much like that. Real, crispy, whole grain German bread was one of the things I missed most in America.

• Hmmm yeah you're right. Fondue sounds lovely though, like dipping bread into soup.
      And I much prefer whole-wheat brown bread to white bread. I think each country eats very differently

The things Americans eat are unbelievable. No wonder they're so fat and loud, and up themselves.

• I am inclined to agree - It sounds disgusting.

• Because it's good. Maybe we just develop a taste for it from the time we are young. Sometimes I skip the bread and just use a spoon to dip peanut butter and jelly straight out of the jar. I eat a LOT of peanut butter - like pretty much every day. I don't eat PB&J very often though.

Peanut butter is very nutritional and has a lot of healthy qualities. It's even used as a base for emergency food for severe malnutrition.

• That sounds yucky eating it straight from the jar everyday, but each to their own. I really don't like nutella either

• Yea, maybe it's an acquired taste. It's nutritional, but I eat too much of it.

I've never tried Nutella. I keep meaning to try it, but haven't yet. I've wanted to try Vegemite also, but I've never seen it in the stores here.

• Yeah doesn't sound too healthy. And marmite is more popular and pretty much the same as vegemite. I despise the stuff though.

• Depends on the jelly not jam. I like mine with Apple jelly but the most popular by far is with grape jelly. Why do Aussies like vegimite?

• Peanut butter is primarily a North American thing having been invented in the USA. In Europe and elsewhere, peanut butter is not part of the culture growing up so people there do not acquire a taste for it, so they usually dislike it on first tastings.

• Umm, excuse me! Its called Jelly!

media.jsonline.com/images/30024559_bubbler.jpg

This is a bubbler!

www.tbotech.com/.../coke-can-secret-safe.jpg

This is a soda!

s3.amazonaws.com/.../...yellow_jpg_475x310_q85.jpg

This is a Stop and Go Light!

saferchemicals.org/.../red-couch-424.jpg

And this is a daven-port !

GOSH! Gt some culture you ignorant imperialists! :D

• I've been living in America for 2 years, and I haven't tried it, I haven't even tried peanut butter yet xD It just doesn't catch my attention, I don't think it's gonna be that good :/

• Uh because it's delicious that's why, besides every country has some food that another country thinks is weird, Asia has dog, France has snails, Africa has bugs, etc, etc, we have peanut butter and jam.

• Great how you chose the worst foods of each country as an example of their national cuisine

• You don't have to take my word for it but I have actually eaten bugs they aren't that bad and neither is dog, taste just like any other meat, snail though I've heard is kind of bad.

But irregardless my point stands it's a food item that the people there find good or tasty and that other people find weird.

• What kind of jam did you use.
    And if you are British, you cannot throw stones about food,
    We have Cajun, Barbacue, and other things, (I'm from New England and prefer peanut butter and fluff)
    I'm mean spotted dick, toad in the hole, bangers and mash, I mean come on people at least try not to name your food an edible innuedo

• I don't know I never liked it lol

• Try peanut butter and honey next time. So, so good!

• I normally don't like it. I do like beans on toast though. And sometimes fried bread.

• It's peanut butter and jelly.

• Its good stuff thats why and have a glass of milk with it

• Um it's delicious lol
    I like sugar free jam tho

• It's this perfect concotion of savory and sweet.

Also, I saw you used crunchy peanut butter. That's a no-no. Also, not jam, jelly. Jelly has no fruit chunks in it, and trust me, it makes a big difference.

Get grape jelly, and smooth and creamy peanut butter. Get some white bread, of the squishy and spongey variety, and slather the peanut butter and jelly on there in roughly equal amounts.

The sandwhich shouldn't be crunchy at all, it should be squishy and a little chewy.

• Why do I like eating anything? Because it tastes nice *to me*.

• I personally don't like them but my wife loves them. A lot of parents give kid PB&J because it's fast, easy and cheap to make. And as an adult some keep eating it. And for some people since they grew up eating it , it became comfort food

• i don't care for jam.

i can indulge in some strawberry preserves though.

• It's not the same thing?

• at the grocery... the Knotts Berry Farm Strawberry Jam sits right besides the Knotts Berry Farm Strawberry Preserves. also the preserves isn't nearly as thick, quite runny actually.

Yeah - it's the same thing.

• You have to put the right amount on for it to be really good.

• Jam and jelly are kinda different. With jelly its wayyyyyyyy better. Also yeah it's probably because we grew up with it.

• What kind of peanutbutter did you have tho?

• I never liked it. I don't know why others do (and it's jelly by the way, at least here there is a difference between jam and jelly I'm not sure there is where you live)

• I know right, it's not got a particularly special taste to it. And I say jam because that's what we call it in the UK

• Wait but you guys in the UK also use the word "marmalade", right? So how's marmalade different from jam and jello? Cuz in Germany, they use the word marmalade (Marmelade) for what you guys call Jello. Mmmh... this is a science of its own ;-).

• @BlueCoyote Marmalade is Paddington Bear's favourite

• Most Americans were subjected to it as kids.

• I guess they taste ballin'

• that shit looks so gross and it probably tastes awful

• It needs to be American peanut butter and Jelly for it to be any good. :D

• Try peanutbutter with chocolade pasta that is great

• I honestly just like regular peanut butter on it, without jelly.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 24

• I always heard about peanut butter and jelly on TV when I was younger, specially on Disney Channel lol, so I decided to try it a couple of years ago, was kind of disappointed :(

• i dont i think its gross. too gobby and super sweet. i don't mind peanut butter on toast. but the sandwiches with all that sugar its gross. just feels like junk food. not a sandwich. but americans like junk food i guess.

• you might like it better on solid bread like thick whole grain with nuts seeds not spongy stuff, and with fruit puree like jam made only with fruit not sugar. then it might be ok.

nutter fluff or peanut butter with marshmallow fluff. i think its gross. its again the problem of too sweet. but i hate marshmallows..

• I did try it with whole grain seeded bread. It's the only one I have.
      I like marshmallows so I'm going to try a little fluff on bread

• You used strawberry jam? This is what I like to use: www.nourishnc.org/.../grape-jelly.jpg

But anyway, if you didn't grow up eating PBJs as a kid, you may have just not developed a taste for them. I feel like peanut butter isn't as popular in other countries.

I like the combination of nutty and sweet.

• Ah but I only like raspberry and strawberry jam, if I have no choice and I have to eat blueberry jam then I try and pick the little berries out with a spoon, lol. I don't really like peanut butter, apart from the occasional reese's peanut butter cup. American's did one thing right creating those lovelies ;)

• Ah okay, it makes sense to me why you wouldn't like it then, if you're not a huge peanut butter fan and only like raspberry and strawberry jam. I think most Americans use grape jelly. I am sooo hungry now! Haha

That's jam

• Our white bread, peanut butter, and jellies or jams are packed with refined sugar. That's what most of us are addicted to, and that's why we like it. Sad but true.

• What kind of Jam did you use? I'm just curious lol. And I suppose it boils down to your personal tastes. There's people who prefer Peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and honey, or peanut butter and fluff (a marshmallow spread). I personally like all of those sandwiches but peanut butter and fluff is my favorite. If you haven't tried it yet, you must as soon as possible!

• I could ask the same about Aussies eating Vegemite and people in the UK eating Marmite on their bread.

They're distgusting.

As far as peanut butter in jelly , it's like a budget food. When I was younger, I didn't care for it much but it's actually pretty good. Depends on the jam as well. American and non American jam probably don't taste the same; the same goes for some peanut butter. You know how we Americans sugar everything up.

• Marmite tastes like dog shit. It is vile. I hate it so much, and vegemite is similar I hate that too.
      I'd eat Peanut butter jam sandwiches over that anyday

Americans eat the most disgusting food on the planet. Vegemite and butter on toast is awesome ;)

• Lol, I don't like it. When I was younger I used to, but now I would not touch one even if it's the only thing to eat.

• No clue man, I've never tried that shit.

• i know omg they're so weird :P
    i tried it too and I'm like 'wth is this?' 😂

• Maybe that's because you had it with jam and not grape jelly. It's quite delicious.

• I think it's an American thing. I don't like it either.

• Because it is delicious! PBnJ is a classic. Easy to make and so damn good.

• I love peanut butter and jelly. But the bread has to be thick and the jelly has to be strawberry or apricot. Also, the peanut butter has to be creamy and organic. Well everything has to be organic. Finally a glass of rice milk, so yummy.

• I don't know I guess it's an iconic American food but I'm an American and I have to be in the mood for it to eat it.

• You have it all wrong peanut butter & jam is a Canadian thing.

• It's just delicious. Especially with strawberry jam :P

• If it's something you grew up with I guess it's just a taste that never tasted bad/weird

• I dont know. Why do the English like tea so much? Why do the French like snails?

• That's different though, because tea is actually delicious, and apparently snails taste like chewing gum. But peanut butter and jam sandwiches are odd and overrated in my opinion

• Oh my gosh it's delicious! Everyday in elementary school and sometimes even now at the end of high school people eat pb&j's. It's an interesting taste but it's good to me! Easy to make and takes no more than a minute. When I go on picnics we either make pb&j's, or some other meat sandwhich. It's more of a kid thing to eat, but sometimes it's exactly what you need. Ooo and if you want to get really creative and elementary like, put chips in the sandwich or banana sliced. I hate banana, but the chips are decent. -haven't eaten that since 3rd grade! Kids will put different things on a pb&j to make it interesting. : / it's a nice memory from my childhood.

• So you like everything but the healthy banana lol

• Banana's are nasty. Horrible texture. I liked strawberries and raspberries and black berries on them. I'm not fat if that's what you're thinking😂 im actually skinny and muscular from sports. And eating the pb&j's were only for lunch which in my family was about the only unhealthy thing I was allowed to eat on a regular day.

• Don't use jam. Use jelly. There's a big difference. Make sure it's grape jelly too!!

• Jam over here is jelly in America

• Agree to disagree

Jelly goes in a trifle - would never eat peanut butter and jelly!

• I prefer just toast and jam, personally.

• it's not only americans lol

• most people I know dont like it but it is really fast to make so they do it out of time... I like it aslong as the penut butter doesn't get stuck onto my teeth

• I really dislike it personally