What is it like to be inflated, but hardly have any upper body strength?

I'll let the picture speak for myself...

Most Helpful Guy

• for the most of it, it is purely genetic, referencing the picture.

i have 1 friend i workout with a lot and he has the triangle v-taper shape, but he doesn't go for aesthetics, he eats whatever and just lifts enough to maintain, not gain. He's more of a fighter than a lifter, trains hard in boxing and can jump rope like a madman, but he didn't suffer a diet plan and exhaust himself at the gym to earn his body, he was mainly born with it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Boys like to look pretty for the other boys.

What Guys Said 13

• I had actually heard something very similar that the bodybuilders were not that strong, what do I feel about it, it is possibly a vanity project in as much the same way a model may starve herself to get a certain look
    Bodybuilder
    bradrowefit.com/.../mainImageHome.png
    Heroin Chic Model
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...1d4918bdc1.jpg
    These both have gone to extremes to get a body look.
    While when I googled the heaviest weights lifted - I was pointed towards American Paul Anderson who has been credited as been one of the world's strongest men who looks like this
    image2.findagrave.com/.../...2181_114833072141.jpg

• Kate Moss scares the hell out of me. She looks *so* unhealthy.

• Actually that's not true at all, both are just as functional as one another and have pretty close to the same amount of strength more or less one of the only differences is bodybuilders not only go for strength but also aesthetics and utilize cardio and proper nutrition to make sure all their muscles are visible.

Because bodybuilders their competitions are more about form then strength but they are just as strong as strongmen, bodybuilders are judged on form but that does not make us any less strong.

Strong men just go for short burst strength meaning maximum power but only good for 1 maybe 3 reps and are not good for sustained training and don't worry as much about how visible their muscles are because that's not what they are compete for they compete for a show of strength as in how much they lift and that is what they are judged on.

Muscle is muscle and strength is strength if you pit a bodybuilder and a strongman against each other in a show of strength there really wouldn't be much of if any difference to be honest. A power lifter would out due a bodybuilder in that small explosive show of power for 1-3 reps but past that a bodybuilder will win due to being better for sustained periods of strength and power.

And then you have the smaller people like Bruce Lee who was much smaller then either of these people but just as toned as a bodybuilder and just as strong as a strongman but was much healthier and could lift more weight then people 2-3 times their size. And worked harder then either one to be honest.

This post is a example of someone who doesn't know what she is talking about when it comes to how the human body or muscular system works.

O also the body type on the right is actually called a power lifter.

Also what is really comes down to is genetics, nutrition and how well you as an individual train and how.

Also power lifting revolves around a small explosive show of strength meaning sure they are strong but that strength won't last very long a good for 1-3 reps of maximum power. Which might out due a bodybuilder in that rep range but past that they get smoked. They are only good for short bursts and take really long rests in between sets close to 5 minutes or more, while we bodybuilders are better for sustained effort and training and take much shorter rests in between sets 1-2 minutes on average then we get back into it.

• Also you'd be hard pressed to find a power lifter who hasn't had his knee, shoulder, elbow or back taken care of because of the poor form they often use to lift up the weights leads to some serious injuries. Also muscle strength is not determined by their size alone that is not how muscles work.

And you're silly little diagram which I know were you got it from is referring to pro power lifters and lifting professionals Jason Statham, Clint Eastwood and Iggy Pop are not pros nor are they strongmen or power lifters. Bill Kazmaier, Konstan Konstantinovs etc are actual strongmen and power lifters.

• By the way a lot of stuff on that is actually misguided and factually wrong information.

• holy fuck that was a mouthful :P

• I do not know what that answer might be.. but I bet if you asked Tom brady whose head is just as under inflated as the footballs he and his team were trying to cheat with.. and I would kick his ass in an arm wrestling match.. he has no upper body strength either

• I'm not inflated but I don't have lots of upper (or lower) body strength even though I work out.
    I'm really one of these people who need lots of muscle training to have "some" muscles :o

• I'd rather look shredded at 6% boyfriend and be weak as f**k then look like a whale and be strong in a world that doesn't give a dam how much you lift, only what you look like

Don't get me wrong... if a zombie apocalypse starts tomorrow and all weapons turn to dust, I'll bulk up

• It's annoying because people think you can lift more than you actually can =/ I blame my Mom and Dad's genetics. Dad was apparently a 6'5 muscle bound marine. Mom is petite with anemia. Giving me no body fat, easy muscl growth, but no power.

• I wouldn't know. I'm strong all round. Before gym and now getting into the 2nd year of gym there are stuff i was never able to do. So going gym consistently, and working out properly and eating right is only beneficial, and has helped me lots. I can clearly tell the difference between strengths.

• Although I don't work out, my stocky frame and sturdy build does give me mechanical advantage.

Example: I'm 200lbs and can do 7-8 pull ups. I know that's not a lot, but for someone who doesn't work out, I think it's okay.

• On point 100% so all the little bitch boys trying to look like Bieber listen up.

• Do you even lift, bro?

• I see the images but what are you trying to say or ask?

• Have you lose your marbles? What is your question? 😛

• Well lets not confuse things, while there is certainly some truth to this your typical bodybuilder at X pounds might be a little weaker than an actual strongman at X pounds but he'll stil be silly strong.

The real issue is that he probably can't run half a mile if his life depended on it, despite working out 6 hours a day.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm a fitness professional, and this... thing, here, is pretty much a crock of unadulterated bullshit.

The difference between the bottom-left figure and the bottom-right figure?
    Is...
    A genetically slimmer waist vs. a genetically thicker waist.
    That's all, folks.

Genetic.
    There's this Polish bodybuilder who still had a 37" waist at 6% body fat. Can't remember his name, but, just think about that! Built like an oak tree. My husband is about 8% body fat (still, at age 46, the Lord loves me...) and he has a 28" waist.

In fact, I'm half tempted to think this whole thing is satire, because they have fucking IGGY POP on their list for the bottom right figure.
    WHAT?
    Iggy Pop had abs, sure... because the fucker was mainlining heroin, and weighed about 145lbs. Srsly?

This must be a joke.

• I don't think this is true. But either way, they work hard for their strong body and ok sure they're happy with it.

• What are you saying love? I'm "puffy" in areas up top... but I'm still strong lol

• I don't think this is accurate but I don't know enough to dispute it.