How do you deal with rude, nasty, and just plain mean customers?

I get them literally every fucking day.
I'm going to go craaaazzzzzzyyyyy...

• Cry myself to sleep
  • Bang my head against a wall repeatedly until I knock myself out
  • Kill them with kindness
  • Give them bad attitude back and hope you don't get fired
  • Just keep smiling and cuss at them in your head
  • just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming swimming swimming
  • pretend your in the bahamas sipping on whatever the fuck will knock me out and make me forget I am here dealing with this flaming bitch of a customer

Most Helpful Guy

• Some jobs you will get those kinds of people.. all you can do is smile on the outside.. but it is your right to not like them in the inside.. most jobs are only 8 hours a day.. some shorter.. as a customer at any public place.. it is not in my nature to be rude to any one especially a lady.. I would be more likely to ask you out for a coffee if I seen maybe a smile.. I would hope that may make you feel better.. I am a friendly and outgoing type of guy.. but I do hear ya some customers figure it is there god given right to yell at the ones they see in charge.. it is sad knowing they are out there.. I hope all works out for you.. just smile and ignore them

Most Helpful Girl

• You have in this situation two options :

1- You quit your job and find another one that fits what you are looking for, and make sure that you don't put yourself in such situation again.

2- You do not quit your job, and simply smile, smile, and smile again. A smile on your face will make you less suffer when dealing with them. No matter customers' characters you have to please them since you're not the boss of the business unless you're not afraid of loosing your job.
    You have to deal with it.

Nevertheless, in my opinion I would never like to deal with such customers. Thus, I would have probably quit the job and find a better one :)

What Guys Said 37

• Killing a wicked rude person with kindness is absolutely hysterical. I worked in bars most of my 20s, so I was really used to just opening doors with rude people's heads and throwing them on their ass on the sidewalk. Now I work a more "professional" job, and I can't put people in headlocks, ever😞 But I deal with a lot of store management at Walmart and all kinds of random supermarkets, and these are some of the most miserable fucks I've ever met. And don't get me started on the regular employees. If you're lucky, it's a teenage kid who doesn't give a fuck, otherwise, it's usually some guy that's pissed off that he's 45 and never ascended past grocery department manager and still lives with his mother. So I can tell that for a lot of these people, their job is the only semblance of power that they have in their lives. Or maybe their lives are fine and they're just plain rude. Regardless, I absolutely love being unwaveringly and annoyingly cheerful with these miserable SOBs😂 Some of them are just gruff and look at you like you have ten heads for asking normal questions and just generally making sure we've done what they expect of us. Nothing better than an ice cold interaction with someone with terrible social skills and a piss poor attitude, and just having the biggest, most obviously fake smile, and just responding like "OK, great! Thanks Joe! I hope you a WONDERFUL rest of your day and have SUPER weekend!" Most of the time they don't even know what to do, they just turn and walk away and don't say anything😂😂😂😂😂

• When I worked retail I always tried killing them with kindness. But if they get nasty to the point of being abusive, I'd go get a supervisor and remove myself. Let them handle that crap -- that's why they get paid more.

Just a little side story: my first job was at Blockbuster Video (I know, I know... I'm older than dirt LOL). I once had a customer who complained about his late fee, saying that he was only an hour late so it should be waived. I told him I couldn't do that -- late is late, and I'd get shit from my boss if I removed it. So what did this customer -- an adult man vs. 17 year-old me -- do? He screamed at the top of his lungs and threw his membership card IN my FACE.

People are sad and very small sometimes.

• Wow... That's just harsh and uncalled for... Did you get your manager?

• It was a small store so I didn't really have to. Pretty much everyone saw it.

It actually became a running joke that we all laughed about for several months. LOL

• Oh well as long as it worked out!

• Long ago I worked retail and actually kind of enjoyed those moments. I would just put on a smile and get so sweet and drive them crazy. If I saw it happening to another salesman, I would get between them and ask how I could help them and do the same thing. Drove them bonkers. And I could laugh about it later.

• Try finding a job which is not client-facing. That will mean you don't have to deal with those customers.

• I laugh at the fact that they are in much more pain than I am and are statistically likely to die much sooner than me.

• I work as a chef and occasional waiter in summers and such a thing happens regularly. You need to be indifferent to their remarks. You need to be on point with them. You are a customer service worker, be polite, don't be rude, stay calm and help them get what they need.

Yes, I have had very rude clients - I have been called names, I have even been assaulted, I have had drinks and plates of food thrown at me - it's part of the job and the wonder of human diversity. The problem is not me, it's them, however, it's not about me, I have to remember my place. I will not let anyone step on me, but I will not "get smart" with customers, because I am partly responsible for the restaurant's reputation.

• E is the way to do it... I've seen my collegues of the customer service turn the phone to "mute", shout "you piece of sh..., I'll throw you into the ravine followed by the largest rocks I can find!".
    Than they switched mute off and said calmly "of course sir, this is no problem at all. I will check it out for you and keep you posted sir. It's my pleasure sir!".
    That's the trick :D 8)

• I own my own consulting business, and while I don't have "rude, nasty, and just plain mean" clients, I have had a couple that were just more trouble than they were worth. So I referred them to other people. I'm under no obligation to keep them as clients. It's not like I'm going to fire myself.

• Kill them with kindness then go home and either: use a punching bag and vent all your anger, lift weights and vent all your anger, or shoot a gun at a shooting range and vent all your anger. Just control your anger when you operate a gun. You could also quit your job and find another if you can't take it. But it's up to you. Then, you'd have to find a new job.

• I tell if that I am just doing my job and that if they have a problem that I can not fix then they can take it up with my boss then I hand them his number lol. Then I go about my day.

• Uppercut them out the door.
    Then do a fatality.
    https://youtu.be/CVg3CRIAs9U

• Do you work in retail? I usually would just keep my cool and then come home and have a drink or box lol

• I would get a grenade with a tag off of the pin that says "complaint department".

Tell them to head outside in the alley if they want to be boneheads.

• i don't work in the service industry, so I wouldn't know. but what I assume I would do is continually aim for total and complete customer satisfaction.

• Let's just fucking punch them in the face. :D

• It can get tough I know, and it becomes difficult to get a hold over your temper at time. In that case it's better to go for a job profile which doesn't involve client facing

• Whoever coined the expression, "the customer is always right" did the world a disservice. As has every middle management prick who have repeated it. Sometimes they are such incredible jerkoffs who think arrogant means power. If they knew that the waiter stuck his dick in the soup because it "wasn't any good", the woman who orders "fish but only cooked 62%, with the sauce on the side and changes everything usually gets her fish dropped on the floor and then returned.

The moron who unloads on the customer service girl who says I really can't do that, sir" and receives anything close to, "do you who I am" solicits the opinion, "no, not who but yeah I know what, an arrogant insecure asshole who is upset because daddy like his little brother better" and, if observed later gets a long, decorative key scratch on their 110k SL sports coupe which he bought because he's a needle dick. Sorry, opinionated

• Kill them with kindness

• You can report them to your boss or ask your boss for advise.

• It's motivation to find a new job.

• do what they want you to do in a half ass way.

• Love this poll 😂😂

• Honestly, rude people don't bother me. When they get rude, they are completely irrelevant to me. They don't even pass through my mind. Maybe it's a skill. Why give an idiot any of your mental energy? Just ignore them and have a good day.

• Where do you work 😂

• You learn to deal with em, but i believe you have the ability to refuse to serve them, because you don't feel like you're being treated fairly

• Just spit in their food and smile.

• You put a smile on your face and just imagine them being arrested

• I just walk away.

• How do I deal with it? I quitted

Never

• Ok, what do you do? I can think of something.

• I worked in wireless, so when customers were rude I forwarded their phones to phone sex numbers.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 13

• so cliche but killing them with kindness works so well. i had a lady try to embarrass me once.

she was making an order and one of my co workers was talking to me at the same time [dont ask], so i heard the co worker over the customer, but i still vaguely heard the customer as well. i asked, "sorry what was that?" just to make sure i heard it right.
    she replied to me saying "i already told you, maybe you should pay more attention".
    i just smiled and said "oh so it was the Saturday syndicate for $4.80? no worries" and put it through.
    LOL and she's like "... yes"
    😂
    in my head I'm thinking DAMN RIGHT BITCH I CAN HEAR YOU.

• I personally be as nice as humanly possible to them, it usually does one of two things with them.
    First I have actually had someone apologize to me for treating me in a bad way; I got a large as in $$$ tip. For being their barista and talking to him, turned out this guy had just lost his wife to cancer a couple of month earlier, it made him bitter towards everyone else.
    Second It can make them so mad that they totally go off, making their self look stupid! Always fun when there is a friend or spouse with them. I've seen that other person leave a tip because they obviously felt bad for the way their a$$hole friend/spouse treated you. I once heard of this happening where I worked (not to me). The person returned and apologized for treating the wait staff in such a poor way!!!
    There is actually a verse in the Bible, Proverbs I believe about, "A soft answer turns away the angry"!! In other words, slather on all the niceness you can on the jerk, it will make you feel better. I know that's the way it works for me.
    The other thing to consider is it takes a stronger person not to flip the same garbage back at the rude customer, sometimes it'll take all the strength you have to be nice to a jerk!

• I either kill them with kindness, or I'm equally as snarky back at them and just don't give them their receipt so they can't give me a bad survey. :p

Sometimes when a customer is bein EXTRA ridiculous, the people behind them in line will give me an apologetic look or we'll just exchange looks and thats enough to calm me down. 'cause like, I know I'm not over-reacting about them being obnoxious.

They really ARE that obnoxious, and this nice customer behind them is confirming it.

Shit talking said awful customers with coworkers also helps a lot.

• Thats how i feel when I go to the bad parts of marylands. They all seem busy and they don't care. I am kinda of just afraid they might attack me! lol

• I worked in retail for 2 monthsmonths as a holiday job. I always tried to be friendly and then I'd go to the back and cuss them out in my head after they've left. Or I'd vent about it to a coworker.

• Venting always helps a little. I honestly have no idea why some people think it is okay to take out their anger and frustration out on a worker who cannot even fight back because they had a bad day. Like no, go home and scream into your pillow, I don't need to take your nasty attitude. Ugggghh people...

• There are really bad people in this world... Retail taugth me this :P

• I used to work in customer service. I would have a mixture of killing them with kindness and keep smiling on the outside while I cuss them out in my head. Even when this woman threw the product at my face (luckily I remembered the 5 D's of dodgeball).

• "E" for Effort, @XNicholeMariex3
    Good luck and keep on plugging. xx

• Thanks for the "Like" sweetie and be safe today.. stormy. xx

• I'm rude back lol
    I ain't dealing with that, I don't get paid to put up with their crap. My boss is quite understanding of that too lol, she'll tell them straight up to leave me alone. She has done before

• 1|0
  • Just continue to be kind. That's all you can do unless you want to lose your job... haha.

• Killing them with kindness is always such a great option and their reactions are priceless.

• You literally just described me.

• I was a manager for five years. I had to deal with Administrators, Staff, Volunteers, and Customer BS for all that time. I watched some of the other managers lose their shiz from time to time dealing with the pressure, but I developed what I called the F-it strategy. The summers were rough with so many people and their problems and being on floor on call for 9-10 hours dealing with it was enough to make anyone crazy. I had a master managers key that unlocked certain rooms not open to the public or only opened if I opened them, so I would at my breaking points, go into one of them and just literally chill the F out for five to ten minutes. I would put little snacks in the drawers and just literally go in there sit in the cool air and like eat some peanut butter crackers. One day one of the other managers came to me and was nearly in tears and she was like, omg, how the hell do you do this, you always seem so calm and stuff, and I was like, come with me. Next thing I know, I have a buddy who's sharing crackers with me in crazy town out there, LOL. I mean, we are all only human and we deserved to be treated as such. On the floor or at work, you deal with it in that super nice, respectful manner that will keep you employed, but behind closed doors, you have to allow yourself to be angry, vent, to take a breather, to speak the truth. And if it does finally all get to you, just make sure you've found another job, before you leave your current one.