If your parents weren't born in America, but you were. Does that make you a citizen?

The thing is, I don't want to be a U. S citizen. I want to be a citizen of where my parents are from (Jamaica). I don't really like how black people are treated here, so I want to go where we are the majority. I asked my parents and they said they "think so." I want to move there when I am older, because I can't now. 😔

Most Helpful Guy

• I wish this weren't the case, but it is.

Look up the what the Chinese and Mexicans are doing to abuse this law and you will see why.

(I'll give you a hint, they will fly (or hop across the border), give birth to a kid on US soil, and then get that child a US citizenship because they can. If you know anything about Chinese laws but unless a child has at least 1 parent who is a Chinese citizen, they will never be a Chinese citizen, even if they were born on Chinese soil. I wish we had the Chinese law here in the US so that we dont have this freaking crap industry of people getting their kids born here just to abuse the citizenship rights of us Americans.)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm really sorry you feel that way and feel like you need to leave the country you were born and grew up in. I can't imagine.

If you were born in the US then you're American, first generation. Many countries offer duel citizenship if one or both of your parents are not from the US. For example, like Canada and Ireland. Jamaica may be one of those or it might be easier for you to get a visa or citizenship there because you have Jamaican family.

Also, you could consider just going to university first before moving permanently and giving up your citizenship. That's kind of a less permanent step that could help you transition and decide before you do anything permanent... Often times too you can't just get citizenship but have to apply for permanent residence in a country and that requires you live in the country with like a green card or visa (work or college / study visa) for a certain number of years. Canada is four that I know of. Just an idea.

I'm really sorry you feel like you need to leave though. That's really sad to hear and I think reflects poorly on society and the country.

What Guys Said 10

• Being born in the US you have US citizenship. But you probably have Jamaican citizenship also.

• Dual citizenship is permissible in U. S. law and Jamaican law. Here is information from the Jamaican Embassy website.
    www.embassyofjamaica.org/...amaicancitizenship.htm

You'll need establish your claim of citizenship (whatever that means) before signing a simple-looking 1-page Application for Citizenship by Decent. You'll need your birth certificate, proof of ≥1 parent's Jamaican citizenship (Jamaican birth certificate and passport), 2 passport photos, and your parents' marriage certificate (if applicable).

As for losing your U. S. citizenship, that is a long arduous process and the U. S.'s I. R. S. will still tax your income (even in Jamaica) for 10 years after. I'm not sure the consequences, but the easiest most painless way to lose it is leave the U. S. with your non-U. S. passport. I might be wrong. So, research before doing anything drastic.

• Yes I think you are a US citizen but depending on US law you might be able to have a duel citizenship. I dont know US law, but by a certain age like 21 i think you can choose what citizenship you want. It depends on what country it is as well. For some countries you can have a duel citizenship and others you choose and others it depends where you were born.

• Jus Solis - look it up
    www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv

us is great, better than most places in the world - id suggest checking out a few major cities and see which ones suit you best. Just because some cities are more ethically diverse may not mean that they are better (crime, jobs, etc). BUT... other places that are not diverse, they suck too. (for obvious reasons) Have you considered the west coast?

• Yep💁🏻

• Sorry to say, if you're born on u. s land, then you are American. Sorry for what you experienced. There's other regions in the country that aren't so racist.

• You have to go over there and make yourself a citizen.

• It shouldn't, but it does make you a citizen.

• I know, whoever made this law is really selfish

• get a student visa. =]

• agreed. america is fucked up. i wouldn't hesitate leaving myself given a reasonable opportunity.

• Yup. Natural born citizen

• Jamaica may allow citizenship if you renounce your US citizenship according to a quick web search.

What Girls Said 11

• Yes, being born on US soil makes you an American citizen.

Talk to your parents about how things were in Jamaica. Ask them why they moved, and see if they have any plans on moving back one day. There had to be a good reason as to why they would come here, you know?

How exactly are you treated?

• Yes you can get a citizenship. It also depends on how long your parents lived in Jamaica for and you have to have proof of their moving and stuff.

• If you're born in America, you're a natural citizen. I'm sorry you feel that way though I can understand why you do. :)

• Yeah it makes you a citizen. But you live in America so all you have to do is leave.

• Yes that makes you a US citizen on the paper but if you don't feel like one you can get a citizenship from Jamaica after searching for the procedures.

• My father was born in Cuba. But my mom was born here. If you are born in America you are an American citizen.

• Yes you're a US citizen but your heritage is Jamaican , u know the culture and you will be accepted and fit in ! I say once you're old enough and have the money , go to Jamaica. I agree with you how black people are treated in America

• Yes. If you are born here you are a natural born citizen.

• Yes, if you were born in a hospital/doctors surgery or had contact with them shortly after, your birth will be registered which gives you your citizenship.

• Yes. You're parents aren't because they weren't born in America.

• Yes--they are known as anchor babies. A lot of people come here weeks or even days before their babies are born just so their babies gain citizenship, because that opens the door for them to get a lot of benefits. And why not? Who wouldn't want their kids to have the maximum amount of benefits? I wish I had dual citizenship somewhere, too.