Is there a difference between not going to and wasn't going to?

I added my crush on Facebook not knowing he was still active and my friend told me he saw it and he said he was wasn't going to add me instead of saying I'm not going to add her... So I'm just curious if they have different meanings.. I often use I'm not instead of wasn't so it kinda confuses me

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• I'm kinda confused. What did he say verbatim?

If it was your friend who said, "He said he wasn't going to add you", then it was only in past tense 'was' because she was telling you what had already happened. 'Was' was used to be consistent with the past tense 'said'. The only exception to this is if the direct object is a universal fact. e. g. "He said the Earth revolves around the Sun," where 'revolves' is in present tense even though 'said' is in the past.

Similarly, if it was your crush who said, "I'm not going to add her," then he was just stating something he will, or rather will not, do in the future. Hence, the use of 'going to', which is just another way of saying 'will'.

In short, "I'm not going to add you" is a direct quotation of what he said, while "He said he wasn't going to add you" is just a retelling by someone else of what he said.

• No, I don't think they have different meanings!

• Not going to = you're not going to.
    Wasn't going to = you originally were going to, but now you're not.