Why do we have two eyes?

Most Helpful Girl

• To have a wider 3D range of vision so you don't need to rotate your head significantly to see one side or the other.

Most Helpful Guy

• The origin of bilateral symmetry in general seems kind of inconclusive. I was glancing at a paper in response to this question suggesting it has to do with cell replication at a molecular level, with one parent cell yielding two symmetrical daughter cells -- it was a bit over my head, not a biology expert.

Definitely there's an evolutionary advantage to having two eyes, but likewise there might be for having two. Why so many organisms in the animal kingdom have bilateral symmetry is somewhat of a mystery. I don't think anyone has a perfect answer.

In general, nature has a lot of symmetrical systems -- radial, bilateral, etc.

Just kind of in layman terms, I think it's somewhat beautiful in this regard, like there's a simple formula which gives way to replication which yields symmetrical patterns, and perhaps even some level of redundancy (but redundancy isn't necessarily useless).

• "But likewise there might be for having [more than] two."

• One way to look at it is that evolution typically stops after a point of sufficiency. For example, why are leaves generally green? They would be most efficient at absorbing ultraviolet sunlight if they were black. But reflecting the green range of the spectrum is usually efficient enough, it's at least far more efficient than red of blue.

So, in this sense, we need at least two eyes for proper depth perception. With just one, we'd only see a 2D image. Perhaps that was sufficient.

What Girls Said 1

• So I can pay attention to something while also looking at dat ass.

What Guys Said 7

• I think its for depth of field. Judging distances can be hard for one eye, but usually the brain compensates since it is familiar with the surroundings. Two eyes allow for triangulation which helps to judge distance and position of objects related to one another.

• So you can see what you want better + one's the spare just in case you lose out on one ;)

• So we have better vision. With only 1 eye our vision is more limited.

• To see objects in 3D space you need 2 focal points.
    If we had one wye we still could had seen the objects but as 2D images.

• 1 for each side, dummy :P

• Because it allows us to to view objects in 3-dimension thereby allowing us to work out distance.

• Depth perception.